Windows 10: Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data??

Discus and support Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data?? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Alienware m15 and am thinking of resetting windows to factory defaults, but will leaving a portable hard drive damage anything? When windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vanniladestoryer, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data??

I have a Alienware m15 and am thinking of resetting windows to factory defaults, but will leaving a portable hard drive damage anything? When windows boots up will it just be normally plugged in? Should I leave it in while it is resetting or safety eject it? Does my hard drive have any important windows data on it?

submitted by /u/Vanniladestoryer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vanniladestoryer, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Msap14 Win User

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Apr 7, 2021
  3. btarunr Win User
    Toshiba Introduces New Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drives

In an exceptional blend of data protection, portability and simplicity, Toshiba has unveiled the newest addition to its Canvio line of portable hard drive solutions – the Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drive family for the PC. Developed with ultimate usability in mind for the everyday consumer, the Canvio Basics requires only a single step to start saving and transporting important files: Plug it in. With no necessary software to install and available with 320 gigabytes (GB1), 500GB, or 750GB of storage space, the Canvio Basics offers a hassle-free, high capacity storage solution right out of the box.

“With the Canvio Basics line, we wanted to bring an effortless digital storage solution to the masses,” said Manuel Camarena, product manager for consumer storage at Toshiba Storage Device Division. “This new drive offers a sleek solution with plenty of storage capacity for the growing amount of digital content, from photos and videos to music and documents. The Canvio Basics is a convenient and versatile choice for anyone who needs the peace of mind that comes with high capacity portable external storage.”

Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data?? 137a_thm.jpg

The Canvio Basics’ one plug ease-of-use is complemented by the drive’s stylish design, courtesy of a glossy black finish and soft, rounded edges. Despite its light weight and diminutive size, the Canvio Basics hits above its weight when it comes to keeping files safe. An Internal Shock Sensor, Ramp Loading Technology, and a three year Limited Warranty combine for added peace of mind whether going from the dorm to the lecture hall, the home office to the conference room, or wherever else the Canvio Basics is needed.

Beyond its technical capabilities, the practicality of the Canvio Basics design is evident in the drive’s pocket-sized form factor, which not only makes it easy to carry, but also conforms to Toshiba’s environmental efforts to reduce the quantity of materials used in production. In addition, the Canvio Basics’ packaging is made from 100 percent recyclable materials.

Toshiba’s Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drives and the complete lineup of Canvio Portable Hard Drives can be found at major retailers and online outlets. For a full list of retailers, please visit this page. Suggested retail prices (USD) by capacities are:
    • $79.99 for the 320GB Canvio Basics
    • $99.99 for the 500GB Canvio Basics
    • $119.99 for the 750GB Canvio Basics

btarunr, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data??

Computer freezes and Explorer doen't respond when I plug an external Hard drive

Hello jobkakule,

The issue is possibly caused by corrupted data or bad sectors on your external hard drive or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different USB port? Also, check if you can access the drive by plugging it to a different computer.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest to repair the bad sectors on your external hard drive. Kindly refer to the steps below:

(Let's just assume that the drive letter for your external hard drive is E. If not, please do change it to the correct drive letter)

1. Plug in your external hard drive. Click on Start, search for
    Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

2. Type in the following command below and press Enter after each command:

Chkdsk /f E:

Chkdsk /r E:

3. Reboot your computer after the scan is completed.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data??

1. Will leaving a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop corrupt any data?? - Similar Threads - leaving portable hard

2. back Up data on portable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    back Up data on portable drive: Hello, i have both a Hard drive and SSD on my PC. the System files, i.e. Win 10 etc are on the SSD drive. I want to transfer everything to a portable SSD. When i have transferred all my data to the portable drive, will i need to re-install Win 10 and the other programs in the...
  3. back Up data on portable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    back Up data on portable drive: Hello, i have both a Hard drive and SSD on my PC. the System files, i.e. Win 10 etc are on the SSD drive. I want to transfer everything to a portable SSD. When i have transferred all my data to the portable drive, will i need to re-install Win 10 and the other programs in the...
  4. back Up data on portable drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  6. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  7. External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.

External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.: Has not been used for 6 years. Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent. Being aged there are some terms bandied around online regarding this type of issue which exceed my level of competence updating chipsets, migrating, stuff...
  8. I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it: I took the internal drive from my old computer and connected it to my new computer via USB. I believe I mistakenly removed the USB before safely removing it. The next time I used it Windows said that the hard drive needs repairing. So I make it repair and it's been going for...
  9. Invisible Data When Writing Data To Any Of My Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Invisible Data When Writing Data To Any Of My Hard Drives: Please look at picture below to understand the problem which began at W10 V1909 Build 18363.836 The example data show hidden data which will only clear once restarted. The main problem I have is when downloading GTAV which is a 90GB file to a 120gb ssd, every 25GB...
  10. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...