Windows 10: Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?

Discus and support Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am planning to use the duplicate file finder feature of ccleaner to remove duplicate files form my multiple backup HDD. I was thinking of making the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/2mnyq, Mar 29, 2021.

1. /u/2mnyq Win User

Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?

I am planning to use the duplicate file finder feature of ccleaner to remove duplicate files form my multiple backup HDD.

I was thinking of making the primary data folder on my Main HDD as Read only (suign the read only feature of Win10) and then find duplicate files and remove them from the HDDs.

Intent of doing this Read Only is to reduce the possibility of deleting anything form the primary data folder when deleting several thousand files.

Will the above be sufficient OR should I create another local regular (non-admin) account account for the deletion project. then I can give this account read only privileges on the primary data folder. This I believe would also reduce the possibility of deleting any of the primary data?

Thoughts / further suggestions...

submitted by /u/2mnyq
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/2mnyq, Mar 29, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Mar 29, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Mar 29, 2021
  4. Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?

problem in deleting folders

Hi Sindhu,

The challenge that you are experiencing can occur due to several reasons, such as, incorrect user permissions settings, corrupted files, etc. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• What are the exact error messages that you are getting?
    • What are the exact troubleshooting steps that you've taken so far? This is for us to avoid providing the same steps.
    • What kind of folder are you trying to delete? Are you trying to delete an app folder, system folder, or a file folder?

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?

1. Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files? - Similar Threads - making folder Read

2. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  3. Able to delete read only files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Able to delete read only files: I am able to rename and delete read only files. Why? How do I correct this? New build of Windows 10 Home. Error applies to all drives. Error applies to admin and standard users. I originally found the issue when trying to prevent accidental deletion of files copied...
  4. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  5. read only + only applies for files in the folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only + only applies for files in the folder: Dears I am not able to remove the permission of read only from any folder from any folder on my windows 10 PC. i tried attrib command also but did not work is this a bug with the latest updates [ATTACH]...
  6. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  7. how to delete read only files

how to delete read only files: i want to delete something from a game folder and it's read only,when i try to change it i get a message that says error access denied. i have administrator and all permissions on...
  8. Program Files folder Read Only

Program Files folder Read Only: Hi, I have an application which is installed in the "Program Files" folder. I need to change the configuration file in one of the application's subfolder, but folder is marked as Read Only as are all folders in "Program Files" an their subfolders. I tried following...
  9. How to make a File or Folder Hidden or Read Only in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to make a File or Folder Hidden or Read Only in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how you can make your files or folders Hidden or Read only on Windows 10 PC. When you set a file as Hidden, folks will not be able to see the file or [...] This post How to make a File or Folder Hidden or Read Only in Windows...
  10. Read-only file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Read-only file/folder properties: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...