Windows 10: Will microsoft fix my pc if a windows update breaks it?

Discus and support Will microsoft fix my pc if a windows update breaks it? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So a few updates ago an update messed up so of the system32 files so i can't install / uninstall anything, open task manager, open cmd prompt or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Need_Not, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Need_Not Win User

Will microsoft fix my pc if a windows update breaks it?

So a few updates ago an update messed up so of the system32 files so i can't install / uninstall anything, open task manager, open cmd prompt or powershell admin or anything admin like making a new user things like that. So because of that i did make a post about it and they said that if i make a in place upgrade to windows i won't loose my programs (I must keep them) but to me that sounded a little ez to make things wores and I have the slowst

wifi so i can't really do a big update it if needs. So I wan't to get it fixed but first i thought if the update broke shouldn't they fix it?

if not about how much would it coast it get it repaired

:)

Need_Not, Nov 12, 2018

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Will microsoft fix my pc if a windows update breaks it? [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Nov 12, 2018
  3. KTR
    ktr Win User
    Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

4. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Will microsoft fix my pc if a windows update breaks it? - Similar Threads - microsoft fix update

2. I am tired of windows updates breaking my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am tired of windows updates breaking my PC: Windows updates have broken my internet and graphics settings to an unrepairable state now 5 times.Its not only personally, but it affects my clients I recommend windows pc's to as well.My computer was $4,000 and I deserve better when there is litterally no other option for...
  3. I am tired of windows updates breaking my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am tired of windows updates breaking my PC: Windows updates have broken my internet and graphics settings to an unrepairable state now 5 times.Its not only personally, but it affects my clients I recommend windows pc's to as well.My computer was $4,000 and I deserve better when there is litterally no other option for...
  4. Windows update completly breaks my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update completly breaks my pc: Hi, a few months ago I think about 5, after restarting my pc for an update, I realised my microsoft edge was freezing and closing after 5 seconds. I tried everything I saw online related to this issue and no help.I also realised it wasn't only Microsoft edge, but also some...
  5. Update breaks PC again!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update breaks PC again!: So I took a chance at upgrading Windows from 1809 (17763.1339) again! and it broke my sound and Internet. I thought these issues would have been fixed by now? On close inspection the 2 devices that wouldn't start were: Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller....
  6. Update breaks PC again!

Update breaks PC again!: So I took a chance at upgrading Windows from 1809 (17763.1339) again! and it broke my sound and Internet. I thought these issues would have been fixed by now? On close inspection the 2 devices that wouldn't start were: Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller....
  7. Windows auto update keeps breaking pc

Windows auto update keeps breaking pc: Every time i get a forced automatic update my pc tells me it ran into a problem and needs to restart, than it uninstalls the update after 4 or 5 restarts and it works. Please does anyone have a fix. submitted by /u/Lightwingames [link] [comments]...
  8. Why is every update breaking my pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is every update breaking my pc?: Every update I have to fix my pc, defrag it, remove softwares, remove windows 10 services that I dont need, and everytime my pc gets crazy slow and practically craps itself just by being updated, just stop sending out updates...... you are ruining my computer, I have my...
  9. Windows updates keep breaking my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows updates keep breaking my pc: When I started using Windows 10 everything was fine, but this changed when the updates came. This is definitely the WORST experience I've ever had with Windows, and I even thought Vista wasn't that bad. This is the experience I've had since the installation in 2015: 1....
  10. 10074 updates break my PC

in Windows 10 Support
    10074 updates break my PC: So I today decided to update my PC to build 10074 - biggest ****ing mistake. Tripple shit build. Upgraded and Bluetooth was broken. After doing some research it was fixed in an update. So I download the updates that are available. Ha when the PC rebooted all of my USB...