Windows 10: Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro?

Discus and support Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next feature update for Windows 10 will be released in the coming months. If things go as they look right now, Microsoft may remove advanced update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 7, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro?

The next feature update for Windows 10 will be released in the coming months. If things go as they look right now, Microsoft may remove advanced update options in the Pro edition of Windows 10 version 1903.

If you run Windows 10 Professional version 1809 right now, the current up-to-date version of the operating system, and check out the advanced update settings provided, you will notice options to defer feature and quality updates.

Feature updates can be deferred for up to 365 days and quality updates for 30 days right now. A quick check of the advanced update options on a PC running Windows 10 version 1903, an Insider Build, suggests that these options have been removed.

In fact, the only option that administrators get right now when they open Windows Update in the Settings application is to pause updates by up to seven days; this is the same time period that Microsoft plans to roll out in Windows 10 Home editions.

Below are two screenshots. The first shows the advanced options on a fully patched Windows 10 Pro version 1809 system, the second the advanced options on a recent Insider Build version of Windows 10 version 1903.

Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro? windows-10-version-1809-defer-updates.png
    Windows 10 version 1809

Windows 10 version 1809 displays options to defer feature and quality updates, and to pause updates.

Microsoft introduced these options in the Fall Creators Update in 2017.

Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro? windows-10-version-1903-advanced-update.png
    Windows 10 version 1903

Windows 10 version 1903 displays only one option to control when updates are downloaded and installed on the computer. The option to pause updates is displayed in Windows Update, the advanced options feature a selector to pick a specific day in that 7-day period.

In other words: the option to defer updates was removed from Windows Updates in the Settings app completely, the pause option limited to seven days instead of 30 days.

Microsoft did announce that it would get rid of the Semi Annual-Channel (Targeted) setting which deferred feature updates by about four months for business users.

Group Policy to the rescue

Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro? windows-update-for-business.png

The removal in the Settings application does not mean that Microsoft removed the options from Pro versions entirely.

The Group Policy still lists options to defer and that is where administrators need to go in Windows 10 version 1903 to defer updates.

1. Open the Start menu.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and hit the Enter-key; this opens the Group Policy Editor.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business
      • Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received -- gives you options to defer feature updates (or preview builds if you run Windows Insider versions).
      • Select when Quality Updates are received -- gives you options to defer quality updates (the cumulative updates that Microsoft releases regularly).
    Closing Words

It is unclear why Microsoft is making the change; even Woody is puzzled by this. It is quite possible that Microsoft wanted to sync the settings between Home and Pro editions of Windows 10. Could it have something to do with a recent study that claimed that Windows Update is too complicated?

At least some administrators will be puzzled when they don't find the options anymore in the Settings application. Others may involuntarily install updates early because they may not know about the deferral options in the Group Policy or Registry, or third-party tools.

Now You: When do you install updates? What is your take on the change?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 7, 2019
  2. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Mar 7, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Will Microsoft remove Advanced Update options in Windows 10 1903 Pro? - Similar Threads - Microsoft remove Advanced

2. Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates: Under Driver updates I currently have 9 apparent updates but thyere is no apparent way to get any additional information regarding these updates to know if I even need to install the updates.How do I get any additional information?...
  3. Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates: Under Driver updates I currently have 9 apparent updates but thyere is no apparent way to get any additional information regarding these updates to know if I even need to install the updates.How do I get any additional information?...
  4. Windows 10 stuck in advanced options

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stuck in advanced options: Hello Microsoft, I just wanted to say is that when I start my pc it gives me two boot options: windows 10 and windows 8.1 when I choose windows 10 as it has important files kept in it allocates me to the advanced options as I tried many ways of going into to windows 10 but...
  5. Windows update advanced options freezing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update advanced options freezing: I clicked on windows update advanced options and it freezes the settings. I tried searching it in the start menu of windows 10 and clicked "Windows Update Advanced Options" and it brings me to the windows update options and the same thing happens when i click advanced...
  6. Did Microsoft remove the defer upgrade option for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did Microsoft remove the defer upgrade option for Windows 10 Pro?: It simply gone here. What happened? submitted by /u/floating-hammock [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hzi6bc/did_microsoft_remove_the_defer_upgrade_option_for/
  7. Windows Defender: no option to remove threat in Win. 10, 1903

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender: no option to remove threat in Win. 10, 1903: hi Microsoft: I downloaded something but was notified that there it was a threat. But there is no option to remove or clear the threat in the 1903 version of Windows 10. I have to manually do it. In the older versions of Windows 10, there is an option to clear threats....
  8. Windows 10 1903 can't access advanced option from normal windows

Windows 10 1903 can't access advanced option from normal windows: After updating to 1903, I can't access advanced option directly from normal windows. It restarts directly to my normal windows when I choose advanced option, instead of the blue screen with advanced option etc...
  9. how to remove pause in advanced options in build 18362 windows updates

how to remove pause in advanced options in build 18362 windows updates: 2019-answers-how to remove pause in advanced options in build 18362 windows updates, Press Windows key + I and select update and security >> Advanced options >>choose how updates are delivered>>toggle the switch to OFF. THERE IS NO TOGGLE SWITCH TO TURN OFF!!!...
  10. Help with Windows Update Advanced Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with Windows Update Advanced Options: I attempt to turn on automatically download updates option, and the on button switches to off without me clicking anything. I have windows 10 1803 How do I fix this, so I can be ready for the future upgrades for the windows 10 versions that come up....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Turn Windows Features On or Off Windows 10 1903 NOT Working Starting

2. windows 10 1903 windows update advanced

3. WINDOWS 1903 REMOVE FEATURE UPDATES OPTION

4. choose how updates are delivered missing in 1903