Windows 10: Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

Discus and support Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a HDMI switcher on my main monitor. When I'm not displaying my PC on it, everything switches to my second monitor which is smaller so the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thatguytaiv, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

I have a HDMI switcher on my main monitor. When I'm not displaying my PC on it, everything switches to my second monitor which is smaller so the desktop icons are all funky. If I move them around when they're on the second monitor, will they be moved when they go back to the main monitor? Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/thatguytaiv
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/thatguytaiv, Apr 10, 2020

2. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I already had the desktop set up with "Auto arrange icons" unchecked and "Align icons to grid" checked; I have had it set like that for months.

To expand on the issue, the desktop windows I leave open also rearrange themselves into an area that represents a smaller desktop than that which is configured. Again, this is possibly because when waking up, the smaller monitor 2 desktop seems to come
    alive first so all the windows appear there before being moved back when monitor 1 wakes up, at which point all windows (even the monitor 2 ones) are moved onto monitor 1. I've never worried too much about the windows because I have a third-party program
    that will move them all back, but not the icons, sadly.

Regards,

Jim.

Jim_FitzSimmons, Apr 10, 2020
  3. icons moved to second monitor

overnight the icons of my desktop have moved to to my external monitor that is set as extended . How could I move them back

FredMoasser, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

Desktop icons move from main screen to extended screen monitor

Thank you! Your post was very helpful up to a point. My system is using a Dell Laptop and a 27" external monitor. It uses the Intel Graphics Adapter and Intel Display Settings utility, so I can't just follow along with your step-by-step procedures. My Primary
    has been the Laptop display and all Icons have resided there until a week ago. Now the Icons have moved to the second monitor and they go back to the laptop if I set it for built-in display only.

MikeFlanagan1, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

1. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor? - Similar Threads - moving desktop icons

2. Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...: Icons on my 2nd monitor shift to my main monitor when I log off and turn the PC off. In the Morning when I am up I start the PC to find my desktop icons have shifted to the main monitor. In Windows 10 I had an app that would automatically move the icons tot he correct monitor...
  3. Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...: Icons on my 2nd monitor shift to my main monitor when I log off and turn the PC off. In the Morning when I am up I start the PC to find my desktop icons have shifted to the main monitor. In Windows 10 I had an app that would automatically move the icons tot he correct monitor...
  4. Turning second monitor in to main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning second monitor in to main: Hi so i got a problem so my monitor from my laptop broke so i want to use a second monitor no problems there but then i factory reseted it for my litle brother and now ma screen is black i can't use the main screen cuz it was broken so now i'm stuk with a black screen what do...
  5. Turning second monitor in to main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turning second monitor in to main: Hi so i got a problem so my monitor from my laptop broke so i want to use a second monitor no problems there but then i factory reseted it for my litle brother and now ma screen is black i can't use the main screen cuz it was broken so now i'm stuk with a black screen what do...
  6. desktop icons move to second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  7. icons moved to second monitor

icons moved to second monitor: overnight the icons of my desktop have moved to to my external monitor that is set as extended . How could I move them back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-moved-to-second-monitor/586f72c2-8aa9-49c8-96e6-d307adad9131
  8. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons appearing on second monitor: As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set correctly in settings however, the icons continue to appear on the wrong monitor. This isn't a huge concern to me, but it is more...
  9. Second Monitor is first and first(main) Monitor is second.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second Monitor is first and first(main) Monitor is second.: I have looked pretty much all Day for an answer to my question, but havent been able to find one. So the thing is, I have two monitors and I have had them for a few years. My Main monitor has always been the second monitor for whatever reason but it have never been a problem...
  10. Desktop icons splitting between main and second monitor

Desktop icons splitting between main and second monitor: I was messing around with my desktop settings a few days ago and when I changed the size of my desktop icons from medium to large back to medium, my icons started splitting between my main and second monitor. I moved them back, but whenever I restart or turn my computer back...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 connecting second display as extended and all icons move to second display and not the laptop screen.