Windows 10: Will moving files with APPLICATION extensions create confusion?

Discus and support Will moving files with APPLICATION extensions create confusion? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 64bit system that was originally Windows 8, and was upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. I have been reticent to move files with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CrispyQuestions, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Will moving files with APPLICATION extensions create confusion?

I have a 64bit system that was originally Windows 8, and was upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. I have been reticent to move files with APPLICATION extensions because I do not want to create confusion.

In THIS PC, my Downloads folder is filled with files with APPLICATION extensions. There are also APPLICATION extension files in some of my Document subfolders. Based on the APPLICATION files' dates, some are current versions and some are previous versions of existing programs that I regularly use. Do I have to leave them in the Downloads and Document folders or may I move them?

If I may move them, what is the best location? The C drive has folders for Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows. These folders have subfolders for my current program applications. Are these appropriate locations? For example: Do I send the Adobe APPLICATION files in the Downloads folder of This PC to the Adobe subfolder of Program Files (x86) on the C drive? Or, do I create another folder somewhere other than the C drive to contain the APPLICATION files from This PC Downloads and Documents?

Thanks!

:)

CrispyQuestions, Feb 5, 2019

2. File extension *.docx

Hi Randy,

To change the file extension when saving a document in Word 2013, you may follow the steps below:

• Click on File; then, select Options from the list.
    • In the Word Options window, choose Save.
    • Under Save files in this format, select *.doc from the list.
    • Hit OK button to confirm and save the changes.

If ever your Word 2013 application is not recognizing the changes you have made, you may restart the application; however, if the issue still persists, we suggest that you repair it. To do this, see this
    link.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 5, 2019
  4. John Fue Win User

Will moving files with APPLICATION extensions create confusion?

Incorrect file extension when moving email

We suggest to follow this steps to check the settings of your PC

• Click on Start key.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Open System.
    • On the left pane, select Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • Look for .msg (Outlook item).
    • Choose Outlook 2016 as the default app
    Let us know how it goes.

John Fue, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Will moving files with APPLICATION extensions create confusion?

1. Will moving files with APPLICATION extensions create confusion? - Similar Threads - moving files APPLICATION

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. is it possible to move a file to the application folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is it possible to move a file to the application folder?: I've been looking for hours on how to put a file into the applications folder does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-move-a-file-to-the-application/6d30e2f4-eea0-4d93-a820-fe2d6640374b
  5. is it possible to move a file to the application folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to move a file to the application folder?: I've been looking for hours on how to put a file into the applications folder does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-move-a-file-to-the-application/6d30e2f4-eea0-4d93-a820-fe2d6640374b
  6. is it possible to move a file to the application folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. move multiple folders based on file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    move multiple folders based on file extension: Hi, I have a main folder with 2000+ subfolders. 500+ of them have ISO files. I want to move all the folders that contain ISO files to a new separate folder. How do I do it? Obviously, I can find all the ISO files when searching via win explorer, but I don't want to move...
  8. Recent Files in MFC application is not showing extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Files in MFC application is not showing extensions: Hello, I have an MFC application which has Recent Files option under File menu. If we hide the extensions in folder view, Recent Files in application also not showing extension even if the file name is stored with extension in the registry. How to display the extension...
  9. Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!: I moved the Data files Contacts, Documents etc. to the D:\ drive using the Properties > Location > Move method and Office Word etc. in Options > Save show that the Save destination is D:\Users\username\Documents which is as it should be BUT which of the duplicated folders as...
  10. Applications Create Extension Folder in Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Applications Create Extension Folder in Windows Defender: Any software created a extension folder in Windows defender. I tried to remove them individually but it won't get out of the extension and causing each of my browser load unnecessary pages that contains unsecure mark. How to solve it. [Original Title: Defendee]...