Windows 10: Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot?

Discus and support Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone, After I am done working on my laptop, I usually just close the lid (which is set to putting it to sleep) and put it in a sleeve. A few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Strict_Ice, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot?

Hello everyone,

After I am done working on my laptop, I usually just close the lid (which is set to putting it to sleep) and put it in a sleeve. A few days ago, when I came back to the laptop a couple of hours later, it was really hot and the battery had falled by 10% or so. At the time, I did not check which device or service had woken my laptop.

It hasn't happened again (been four days now), but I want to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong. I have taken the following steps till now:

1. Enable notifications for restart for Windows update – now the laptop gives me a notification about restarting outside of active hours to install the updates, but will it restart outside of active hours even if my laptop is asleep?

2. I have disabled my Bluetooth mouse from waking up the device.

3. I have disabled other PCs on the network to wake the device.

So, I suppose my main question is, will Windows 10 automatically install the updates and reboot if my laptop is on sleep, if the time is outside of the active hours?

If yes, what should I do?

Edit: I am using Windows 10 Home, version 2004.

submitted by /u/Strict_Ice
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Strict_Ice, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Chadi Win User

ASUS Laptop Won't Wake from Sleep Mode

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model UX490UAR
    System Type x64-based PC
    SMBIOS Version 3.0

Problem: about 80% of the time, my laptop won't wake up from sleep mode via keyboard press or mouse move/click. I seem to be missing many common features in power plan too, even after fresh Windows 10 install.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (clean)
    2. Updated all drivers
    3. Replicated on multiple Windows 10 versions, updates
    4. BIOS latest version
    5. No USB devices attached, ever. Only USB-C power and bluetooth mouse
    6. Disabled "fast startup" in control panel

Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot? [​IMG]

Chadi, Jul 30, 2020
  3. Rodcliff Win User
    Waking Laptop From Sleep

Since installing Creators Update (1703) which otherwise seems to be successful, my laptop no longer wakes from sleep when I open the lid and I have to press the power button to bring it back to life. No big deal but it always woke up by opening the lid. Would
    welcome suggestions.

Rodcliff, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot?

wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot?

1. Will my laptop wake up from sleep to install updates and reboot? - Similar Threads - laptop wake sleep

2. Laptop can't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop can't wake up from sleep: Hi, I'm currently using Windows 10 and have declined the upgrade to Windows 11 several times. Last night I put my laptop to Sleep and it was updated again and again I declined. I stepped away from my laptop for a few hours. When I got back, I tapped Enter as usual. I got to...
  3. My laptop refuses to wake up from sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop refuses to wake up from sleep?: I am currently using a razer blade 15 advanced edition laptop which I purchased in november 2020. The machine is running windows 10 home edition. Around a week or so ago, I started having problems with the device not turning on after it went into sleep mode. I would try to...
  4. HP Laptop not waking up from sleep

HP Laptop not waking up from sleep: My HP laptop model is 15g-br106tx. My laptop goes to sleep but does not wake up from sleep. I've searched various articles and tried few solutions. But the problem still persists. The first solution is to enable the device keyboard or touchpad to enable it to wake the...
  5. Laptop won't wake up from sleep

Laptop won't wake up from sleep: Hi Everyone, I use a HP Pavilion HP-cc-134TX When laptop is connected to power-cord and left idly for certain amount of time, Laptop doesn't wake up from sleep mode. I have to manually hard-restart the system. I tried: 1. ' powercfg -h off ' but this did not help 2....
  6. Reboot when trying to wake up from sleep

Reboot when trying to wake up from sleep: Hi! I have a Lenovo 330S 15ARR since last October, Windows 10 v1909. Sleeping and waking from sleep was working fine. Since a couple of months, I have the following problem. I noticed that when I try to wake the pc from sleep, it acts like I rebooted. I did some testings...
  7. Laptop waking up from sleep

Laptop waking up from sleep: I'm using windows 10 pro on a gigabyte aero-15-x9. I checked whether there are any active wake timers in cmd using powercfg -waketimers and it says there are no active wake timers, and I also disabled wake timers in the power config. However, my laptop still turns on while...
  8. Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode

Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode: I've seen lots of power/sleep problems discussed on forums, but nothing exactly like the problem I'm having since the latest Windows 10 update. The laptop seems to go to sleep fine. Then when I open the lid or press the power button to wake it up, it makes the unmistakable...
  9. Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself: Hi Guys, Please help me a little, I think I'm losing my mind. I have an Asus Ultrabook, UX302L. It came with windows 8 from the factory, I upgraded it to windows 10, all nice and wonderful. About a month ago, I replaced my HDD with an Samsung 850 Evo SSD and I installed...
  10. Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep: I have a huge problem with my ASUS laptop ( ROG G501JW ). I had unrelated problems with Windows 10 most likely caused by malware infection that had me use "Reset PC" option that basically performs fresh Windows 10 installation as far as settings go. After performing it I...