Windows 10: Will my “Media Creation Tool” USB drive get infected?

Discus and support Will my “Media Creation Tool” USB drive get infected? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I’m gonna use my “Media Creation Tool” USB bootable flash to do a clean install on my virus infected PC. But will doing this cause my USB flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IngramFTW, May 28, 2020.

1. Will my “Media Creation Tool” USB drive get infected?

So I’m gonna use my “Media Creation Tool” USB bootable flash to do a clean install on my virus infected PC.

But will doing this cause my USB flash drive to get infected as well?

submitted by /u/IngramFTW
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IngramFTW, May 28, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, May 28, 2020
  3. Media Creation Tool question

Thanks Cerberus but Ive no problem downloading the Iso with the media creation tool. I don't think its the ISO that is the problem' I think the problem is when the Media Creation Tool is creating the bootable USB flash drive. So I think I can use the Media Creation Tool for that part...and as you say try something like Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive

I still have this question though "The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool) option that the Media Creation Tool should be save to the PC and run from there.
    On Microsoft site the instructions are to Download the Tool and select Run (no saving to the PC). Is there a reason for saving it to the PC first as suggested on Tenforums?"

I was curious to see if others had encountered the issue I had with the Media Creation Tool. Ive never had a problem using it before

sportsfan148, May 28, 2020
  4. Will my “Media Creation Tool” USB drive get infected?

How to create an UNACTIVATED Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using the new Media Creation Tool v1803??

I want to note also that the Media Creation Tool didn't give me the option to select the Edition of Windows 10 at the step you can choose the Language, Edition and Architecture. The only thing that was in the list was only the "Windows 10" option, not other
    editions...

So, is this a BUG of Media Creation Tool or I have misunderstood something? Is this reasonable?

Also is it reasonable when you install Windows (by USB Flsah drive created with Media Creation Tool) to be activated on its own after installation finishes??

MinimalTechGR, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Will my “Media Creation Tool” USB drive get infected?

1. Will my “Media Creation Tool” USB drive get infected? - Similar Threads - “Media Creation Tool”

2. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  3. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  4. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  6. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  7. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

8. Is the Media Creation Tool safe for USB drives/SD cards?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the Media Creation Tool safe for USB drives/SD cards?: [ATTACH] TL;DR: After my SD card got pretty much bricked after using the tool, I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced the same thing and if it's OK for me to use a different card. I've been using the Media Creation Tool for a long time now and haven't had any...
  9. Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media: So i tried using Windows Media Creation Tool to create a new Windows Installer to reinstall Windows on my Machine, problem is on the first time i tried it failed and the USB Drive is not detected anywhere. Not in Rufus, Not in UltraISO, and Diskpart says there is No Media. Is...
  10. Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive

Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive: Tonight I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 for my PC. I used the Tool on my brother's PC (which also runs Win 10). I followed all the instructions to save to a USB Drive, and it was going along nicely until I got the following Error message: "There...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. infected media creation tool.windows 10

2. can usb get infected while using media creation tool