Windows 10: Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

Discus and support Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530, and have replaced the hard drive once before, due to busting the old one Gamer rage. I'm currently using a 250GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TheosDracos, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530, and have replaced the hard drive once before, due to busting the old one Gamer rage. I'm currently using a 250GB hard drive and have a 4TB one on the way. I talked with the Live help earlier, and the person said the license wouldn't work on the new hard drive due to it being an OEM license, but on a thread I just saw, it said the OEM license was tied to the motherboard, not the hard drive. So, which is it? Will the License carry over to the new hard drive when I install windows on it, or will I have to use an un-activated version of Windows 10 until I buy a license?

:)

TheosDracos, Mar 21, 2021

2. Windows 10 OEM License transfer form old Laptop to new pc

I have an old laptop which comes with OEM Windows 7 Home Basic ,which I upgraded to windows 10 home. The thing is that the laptop is almost dead but the hard disk is working fine, actually i can use that laptop by connecting it to external display. I recently
    bought a new PC and I am wondering if i could transfer the license of that laptop to my new PC. Is it possible, if YES then how? .if NO i am thinking of connecting that hard drive to my new PC and consult the MICROSOFT SUPPORT. Will it work?

PiyushGoel3020, Mar 21, 2021
  3. GlynParry Win User
    Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Mar 21, 2021
  4. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

Need help on how to install OEM Win7 onto a new hard drive but in the same OEM PC

I have an HP desktop with OEM windows 7, all updates are installed, and I have the license key. It is an HP Pavilion Elite Intel core i7 with 8 GB memory.

I have given up on fixing the issues and decided to reset it back to its factory install and there is an HP application on the PC that says it will do this. Yes I realize I will also need to re-install the updates and everything else after.

What I want to do differently is to also replace the old hard drive (still working) with the new 1TB SSHD that I already own

Should I:

1) reset the existing hard drive back to win 7 factory install first and then clone it to the new hard drive and install the new hard drive or

2) somehow install the OEM Win7 on the new hard drive and then install the new hard drives --- not sure how I should do this??

3) or some other suggestion

In any scenario, I want to end up with the new SSHD in the PC with a clean re-install (factory) of the original Win7 and the old HD removed, or perhaps I may keep the old HD installed as a second for data only.

benjiminyoung, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

1. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop? - Similar Threads - Hard drive keep

2. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  3. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  4. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  6. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  7. How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?: How can I clone my old laptop hard drive to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-my-old-hard-drive-to-a-new-hard/cd9498d2-e379-40c0-aef4-42328b6c428a
  8. Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #: Hello, I have an old laptop that originally came with Windows 7 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have just replaced the original HDD with an SSD and am trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the OEM license key. I am planning on selling it, therefore the procedure of...
  9. new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license: Hi, I have a Dell desktop with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home copy. I need to replace the hard drive due to speed / noise issues. My question is, if I get a new hard drive, how can I install Windows 10 on it again? And how to ensure that will be a "valid" licensed copy?...
  10. Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?

Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?: Hi My hard drive failed and I was wondering if I install a new drive and load fresh Windows, do I keep my license? At present I use a digital license. Also I'm NOT changing the motherboard. I have no recovery disc or anything, it would be a clean, fresh install. Thank...