Windows 10: Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector?

Discus and support Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 20H2 19042.844, Crucial P1 500GB NVME (512MB DRAM cache) I finally tracked down the cause of my BSODs to a bad block, according to event... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lumpiestspoon3, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector?

Windows 10 20H2 19042.844, Crucial P1 500GB NVME (512MB DRAM cache)

I finally tracked down the cause of my BSODs to a bad block, according to event viewer: "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block" (event ID 7). I have also run the Victoria surface test, which identified a 4GB section that is either logically or physically defective. I also ran chkdsk over 3 times, with varying commands like /r, /f/ and /b. It detected 0 bad sectors and said everything was fine, which indicates to me that it's a physical defect since chkdsk only fixes logical errors.

But I've also heard that once Windows detects a bad sector (which it has done, despite what happened in chkdsk), it will stop reading/writing to it and remap to overprovision. However, the errors keep popping up hundreds of times a day, so I'm not sure if the automatic marking/remap has happened?

:)

lumpiestspoon3, Mar 1, 2021
  2. CountMike Win User

SSD Bad sectors cause freeze!

With so many errors, I'm afraid it's toast. Physical bad sectors can't be fixed, get everything you need out of it fast.

CountMike, Mar 1, 2021
  3. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Mar 1, 2021
  4. itye1970 Win User

Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector?

CHKDSK /R Bad Sector check on windows 10 SSD

I just ran a chkdsk /f /r to check for BAD sectors on my ssd but on restart chkdsk quicky went to 100%, and finished in about 2 seconds!

Also some threads on the internet are saying that running chkdsk /r on an ssd can damage it? is this true?

Does Windows 10 automatically detect an SSD and not run the bad sector check hence it runs quickly when you schedule the scan?

itye1970, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector?

1. Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector? - Similar Threads - SSD automatically remap

2. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  3. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  4. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  5. Which is the best Program for Fixing the Hard Drive and/or remapping Bad Sectors on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which is the best Program for Fixing the Hard Drive and/or remapping Bad Sectors on Windows 10?: submitted by /u/Rydeg [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mhb8de/which_is_the_best_program_for_fixing_the_hard/
  6. Help With Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help With Bad Sectors: I've been having some problems with my hard drive, and I need some help. I need to know if there is a way to fix or delete the bad sectors and clone the drive to a new one (tried a few cloning softwares but none work). Another note is that when I try chkdsk the ETA keeps...
  7. Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing: [ATTACH]Before understanding Bad Sectors and how to repair bad sectors, you should know about sectors and what they do. This post explains sectors, bad sectors, […] This article Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  8. Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive: I have an Acer laptop that has started acting weird (stops responding for a minute, then catching up, working fine for 3-4 minutes, then stopping again). I did a surface test and found 11 bad sectors on the hard drive. I have run multiple 'sfc /scannow' and 'chkdsk c: /r'....
  9. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....
  10. SSD Bad sectors cause freeze!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Bad sectors cause freeze!: My fault. 860 Evo, it's a sata SSD! That's better.