Windows 10: will not ask for password after sleep

Discus and support will not ask for password after sleep in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am trying to make W10 ask for my logon password after going to sleep. I went into the settings and clearly set it to ask for the logon after it has... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lenberman, Dec 22, 2020.

1. lenberman Win User

will not ask for password after sleep

I am trying to make W10 ask for my logon password after going to sleep. I went into the settings and clearly set it to ask for the logon after it has gone to sleep. I set it to sleep after 15 minutes and it does go to sleep , but shaking the mouse will wake the system without asking for the logon. Does anyone know why this happens?
    Len
    San Diego, USA

:)

lenberman, Dec 22, 2020

2. Sleep and Password. windows 10

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

You may try this steps:

• Type Power & sleep settings in the search bar.
    • Click on Additional power settings
    • On the right side of the screen, click on Require a password on wake up
    • Under password protection on wake up, select the button that says required a password (recommended)
    • When your computer wakes up from sleep.
    • No one can access your data without entering the correct password to unlock the computer.
    • Clck on create or change user account password if you do not have one or you want to change your password.
    • Click on save changes below.

Hope this helps. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Computer doesn’t ask for password after waking from sleep

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving this issue. I understand that the computer doesn’t prompt for a PIN/Password after waking up from sleep.

As you have already checked the Sign-in options, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

We can try changing the screen saver settings and check. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Personalization and select
      Lock screen from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down and click on Screen saver settings.
    4. Now, select the screen saver and enter a time.
    5. Ensure that the checkbox for On resume, display log on screen is selected.
    6. Click on Apply and OK.

Article for reference: Change your screen saver settings.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 22, 2020
  4. will not ask for password after sleep

PC goes to sleep after a few minutes

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please follow the steps below to change your system's sleep settings.

1. Go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Change your desired sleep timing in this Tab.

2. Now, click on Additional Power Settings > Change Plan Settings >Change Advanced Power Settings.

3. Expand Sleep and give the appropriate time.

If this doesn't help, I would suggest you run the built-in troubleshooter:

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.
    • On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”
    • Click on Power. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok. (Follow the onscreen instructions)
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

will not ask for password after sleep

1. will not ask for password after sleep - Similar Threads - ask password sleep

2. After sleep windows 11 does not ask for password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After sleep windows 11 does not ask for password.: I have this option enabled that after sleep I should be prompted for a password but it does not prompt for a password and jumps straight back into desktopAnyway to fix this?...
  3. After sleep windows 11 does not ask for password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After sleep windows 11 does not ask for password.: I have this option enabled that after sleep I should be prompted for a password but it does not prompt for a password and jumps straight back into desktopAnyway to fix this?...
  4. Sleep does not ask for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep does not ask for password: When I press the power button to wake up my windows 11 from sleep mode, the time is displayed and I press enter and the desktop appears without me needing to type in the password. How can I change this so I need to type in the password when I want the laptop to come out of...
  5. Sleep does not ask for password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep does not ask for password: When I press the power button to wake up my windows 11 from sleep mode, the time is displayed and I press enter and the desktop appears without me needing to type in the password. How can I change this so I need to type in the password when I want the laptop to come out of...
  6. **Windows asking for password after waking up from sleep**

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    **Windows asking for password after waking up from sleep**: Hello Microsoft Team,I am having some kind of issue related to passwords. My Computer does not ask for password when I turn it on. But after waking it from sleep it ask's for password, I want to disable that password after waking it from sleep. How can I do that?...
  7. Windows 10 always asks for password after sleep.

Windows 10 always asks for password after sleep.: Has anyone figured out how to prevent Windows 10 from requiring a new login after sleep mode? BTW...I don't mind a new sign-in after power restart...that's a good security measure. But why do I need to constantly sign-in on a protected computer that I walked away from for...
  8. Password after sleep.

Password after sleep.: Hi My laptop does not require a password after sleep. The "Require Password on Wakeup" setting is not available. Any suggestions. Win.Version. 10.0.19042 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-after-sleep/9891783c-c689-46e5-bc4d-729cb9c62dbc
  9. Computer doesn’t ask for password after waking from sleep

Computer doesn’t ask for password after waking from sleep: Windows does not ask for password after being in sleep mode. Require sign in is selected in stetting's for "When PC wakes up from sleep" ***Modified title from: Problems with password after being in sleep mode ***...
  10. Windows 10 asking for password instead of PIN after waking from sleep

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 asking for password instead of PIN after waking from sleep: I have set up a pin, when I start or restart the laptop, windows 10 asks for the pin, however when the laptop wakes from sleep, it asks for the pin. How can I set it to also ask for the pin after waking from sleep?...