Windows 10: will not wake from sleep

Discus and support will not wake from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 4 yr old custom built desktop upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro about 8 months ago. Up until two weeks ago the sleep/wake up has worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maestro2711, Feb 25, 2016.

1. will not wake from sleep

I have a 4 yr old custom built desktop upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro about 8 months ago. Up until two weeks ago the sleep/wake up has worked perfect. Now the unit will not wake from sleep. I have tried everything I have seen and nothing has worked. It has to be booted from sleep. I have now set sleep time to never and will shut the unit down at night rather than letting it go to sleep. Anybody have anything new that I could try. Is MS working on this???

:)

Maestro2711, Feb 25, 2016
  2. RonGetz Win User

Will not wake from sleep

Thank you for the reply. Your instructions were excellent and I was able to follow them to the letter. I also made sure that the mice being used were also set to wake from sleep. These steps did not do anything to help the situation. When my computer
    goes to sleep, nothing will wake it up. The fans are still running and I believe the drives are still spinning. The reset must be depressed or the Power Button must be depressed and held until the computer shuts off.

I have looked at the options to correct the Sleep and the Shut Down problems on this Forum and other Forums. I have searched the web and so far NOTHING I have found does anything to eliminate the problem.

What I am now doing, and recommending to anyone who asks me about this, is to set the sleep time to NEVER. If you want you could remove Sleep from the Power Options. Next is to do a Shut Down the normal way and when this is finished and the computer fans
    and maybe the drives are still working, you now depress the Power Button and hold it until the computer shuts completely down. Setting Sleep to NEVER is a necessity due to the fact that you will walk away from the computer at some time and when you return
    you will be unable to wake it and if you had something on teh screen that was not saved, it is gone. The monitor should be set to a short time to turn off.

I hope that Microsoft finds the problems and issues an update to correct it.

RonGetz, Feb 25, 2016
  3. RonGetz Win User
    Will not wake from sleep

Method 1: Power troubleshooter

The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your
    computer's battery life.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.

What search bar?? Cortana, Control Panel, etc. Tried them and never get the left pane to select “view all”. Did a search on line for “power troubleshooting” and found nothing that gives any help for Win 10.
    2. Click on "view all" on the left pane.

3. Run the "power" troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Change Power Plans

I would also suggest you to refer to the steps given in the link below to change your power plan and check if it helps

Changed power plans several times, did not help. Currently have sleep set to Never.

Power plans: frequently asked questions (Applies to Windows 10)

Method 3: Update Drivers

Outdated or incompatible drivers could also be causing the problem. If you recently upgraded to Windows 10, it's possible that the current driver was designed for a previous version of Windows. Check to see if an updated driver is available. Refer the help
    article below:

Update drivers in Windows 10

Article of no help unless you have a problem with a certain device. When sleep is the problem, what device do you go to??

RonGetz, Feb 25, 2016
  4. will not wake from sleep

Win 10 pro installed on a Desktop computer. Like so many I have experienced the problem with the Sleep option not allowing the computer to Wake. Nothing I have tried has done anything to change this, so I decided to not use the Sleep and to just Shut Down when I am not using the computer. It seems that the Shut Down option does the same thing as Sleep. They both put the computer in a state where it will not Wake up. The only options are to hold the Power button until the computer completely shuts down, or to hit the reset button. Now when I do a normal Shut Down I am then holding the Power Button to completely Shut Down the computer. This is totally ridiculous. Is anyone working on a solution to these problems? I also have a Laptop with Win 10 installed that is doing the same thing with Sleep and Shut Down.

Maestro2711, Feb 27, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Feb 28, 2016
  6. I am working with a Win 10 Pro dsesktop. Most of what is listed does not apply, no hibernate. I have now removed SLEEP form the options. My computer is set to NEVER Sleep. When I am done for the session or for the day I do a SHUT DOWN and when the computer appears to be finished, looks like it is in sleep mode with fans still running and the drives appear to be turning. I now depress the power button and wait for it to completely turn off. Hope somebody comes up with a viable soluting for this Sleep/Shut Down issue. Laptops have a bunch more options and the hibernate sounds like what I have, but nothing I have done helps. POWERCFG /h off does nothing as do all the other suggestions I have gotten for the various Forums and websites.

Maestro2711, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

will not wake from sleep

1. will not wake from sleep - Similar Threads - wake sleep

2. Windows 11 won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 won't wake up from sleep: My laptop isn't waking up from sleep when I try to wake it up from sleep, it just shows a greyish black screen and all I need to temporary fix is to hard restart it. I have faced this problem in past also and somehow installed multiple updates and something fixed it earlier,...
  3. Windows 11 won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 won't wake up from sleep: My laptop isn't waking up from sleep when I try to wake it up from sleep, it just shows a greyish black screen and all I need to temporary fix is to hard restart it. I have faced this problem in past also and somehow installed multiple updates and something fixed it earlier,...
  4. Computer sometimes experiences "BSOD" when waking up from sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer sometimes experiences "BSOD" when waking up from sleep mode.: This is an issue I'd like to get fixed before it does any real damage to my device. I am forced to hold down the power button to get out of this particular situation, since my device doesn't actually go into a BSOD, but rather fails to display anything until I restart. The...
  5. Computer sometimes experiences "BSOD" when waking up from sleep mode.

Computer sometimes experiences "BSOD" when waking up from sleep mode.: This is an issue I'd like to get fixed before it does any real damage to my device. I am forced to hold down the power button to get out of this particular situation, since my device doesn't actually go into a BSOD, but rather fails to display anything until I restart. The...
  6. My pc sleep and refused to wake up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My pc sleep and refused to wake up: My pc sleep and refused to wake up, have press the power button to force shut it down for the system to reboot, but the system is not shutting down, and is not removable battery what can I do. The keyboard light and the power button is blinking, what can I do and what is the...
  7. My pc sleep and refused to wake up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc sleep and refused to wake up: My pc sleep and refused to wake up, have press the power button to force shut it down for the system to reboot, but the system is not shutting down, and is not removable battery what can I do. The keyboard light and the power button is blinking, what can I do and what is the...
  8. My pc sleep and refused to wake up

9. 7.1 surround sound resetting to stereo after waking from sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    7.1 surround sound resetting to stereo after waking from sleep or shutdown: Hello,I have an intermittent issue whereby waking the computer from sleep, or starting it up after a shut down resets my 7.1 output to stereo, it also puts the quality down to the lowest setting. I can see tonnes of forums online of other people having this same issue but...
  10. 7.1 surround sound resetting to stereo after waking from sleep or shutdown

7.1 surround sound resetting to stereo after waking from sleep or shutdown: Hello,I have an intermittent issue whereby waking the computer from sleep, or starting it up after a shut down resets my 7.1 output to stereo, it also puts the quality down to the lowest setting. I can see tonnes of forums online of other people having this same issue but...