Windows 10: Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?

Discus and support Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I do currently still have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro on my PC. I now want to upgrade my PC and I've bought a new motherboard and a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Im-a-chair, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?

I do currently still have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro on my PC. I now want to upgrade my PC and I've bought a new motherboard and a new processor. I assume that after swapping those parts out, I will need to reinstall Winodws. So I've downloaded the Windows 10 media creation tool on my usb stick. My question is, when I need to input my Windows 10 key on my new PC, can I simply use the old Windows 7 key? And do I need to remove the Windows licence from my old motherboard?

submitted by /u/Im-a-chair
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Im-a-chair, Dec 30, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Thank you, but I still want to know if I can do a clean installation of Windows with my new SSD whilst my old Windows is still installed on the other pc?

MichaelDFF, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC?

1. Will old Windows 7 key work for a Windows 10 installation on new PC? - Similar Threads - old key installation

2. Transferring an window 7 key that was upgraded to window 10 to new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring an window 7 key that was upgraded to window 10 to new pc: I have a window 7 key that i use to upgrade to window 10 when it came out and have been using this for the last few year.recent build myself a new pc and install window 11 on it. I want to use my old key to install window 10 on a virtual machine on this new system.I try to...
  3. Windows 10 or Windows 7 on an old PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 or Windows 7 on an old PC?: Hi, I want to bring back to life my old PC and add SSD to speed it up. It's a 10 years old PC with an Intel Core i5 650 CPU and 4GB of RAM (will replace it with 8/16 soon). My dilemma is whether to install Windows 7 or Windows 10 on it, I just need it to run as fast as...
  4. Help installing windows on new PC with old key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help installing windows on new PC with old key: Hello, I bought a Windows 7 license 2012 for my then new PC. I have upgraded that license for free to windows 10. Now i have bought a new PC, deactivated the key on my old PC and installed Windows 10 on my new PC successfully. However, the license is not activated and i...
  5. Updating from Windows 7 on my old PC to windows 10 on a new PC?

Updating from Windows 7 on my old PC to windows 10 on a new PC?: I am building my own PC and want to know if its possible to update from Windows 7 on my old PC to windows 10 on my new one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-from-windows-7-on-my-old-pc-to-windows-10/12f6c5fb-9051-4cf9-b398-d326958b696b
  6. Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop: Hi. Searching in the internet i've read over and over that those stickers with windows keys in my case windows 7 home are tied to that computer, you can't transfer to another laptop, andwon't work even if you try yeah right... So why did it work in my case? Old laptop not...
  7. Transfer contents from an old Windows 7 PC to a new Windows 10 PC.

Transfer contents from an old Windows 7 PC to a new Windows 10 PC.: I must transfer all the contents from an old Windows 7 PC to a new Windows 10 PC. That includes folders, files, email, programs, apps, etc. I found two companies that claim to do this seamlessly: Laplink and Zinstall. After looking at some of their customers' reviews and...
  8. Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...

Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...: I paid retail for 3 copies - "Family Pack" - Win 7 Home Premium many years ago. They all 3 use the same install key. I am now finally getting around to investigating Win 10. Previously I only used two of the 3 as Win 7 and never actually activated one of them. I just now...
  9. Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware

Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware: Installed a new mobo/ram/cpu into my old case and have found that the key I was using with the old hardware wont activate. Tried calling microsoft's phoneline to see if customer support will activate it for me but their automated phone system is garbage and hangs up on me...
  10. Clean install on new PC with non-used windows 7 key

Clean install on new PC with non-used windows 7 key: Have an unused Technet windows 7 Key (Old) and want to know if i can use that in some way to install Windows 10 on a self-build PC. Other option could be to buy an OEM key online, but which online stores are legit?...