Windows 10: Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Discus and support Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by treblefree, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot order by putting USB bootable Windows 10 flash drive but there is no option there for USB.. i tried creating a bootable 4.7 Gb Dvd but a message popped up stating there is not enough room on disk..hence i created USB

To cut a long story short ...will reformatting the hard drive where the only OS is Linux remove LInux completely ?

I would be grateful if some member could show instructions as to how to to re-install Windows 10 back on after reformatting...

My PC is HP Pavillion desktop pc 500-242...i also bought recovery discs from HP which has 8.1 on

Thank you
    Would i have re-install Windows 8.1 ( made note ok key ) first before re-installing Windows 10 ?

:)

treblefree, Apr 7, 2017

2. Reformat Hard Drive and Reinstall Windows

Where can I find the digital activation code so I can reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows? Or, do I have to switch to Linux after I reformat the hard drive?

thephillylawyer, Apr 7, 2017
  3. No BIOS or HDD

yes there is some hotkey you should be able to hit during boot to access system bios. even if the hard drive has failed you still can access bios it is built in to the mother board. what manufacturer is the computer? also if you installed Linux it reformats
    hard drive so it wont show up in windows without a third party app like Linux reader unless you reformat again

markdickey1, Apr 7, 2017
  4. pcgeek11 Win User
  5. pcgeek11 Win User
    And yes, If you reformat the hard drive it will wipe out Linux entirely. The second issue would be if you have Grub Boot Loader in the MBR ( Master Boot Record ) you will need to restore the boot record to the Windows Version.

Here is a how to:

Fix the MBR Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

pcgeek11, Apr 7, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Apr 7, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    Reformatting only may not be enough, what about partition)s) made by Linux ?

CountMike, Apr 7, 2017
  8. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Thanks for all your replies..as regards linux partitions..i will have to see when i reformat hard drive..i cannot even delete the partitions on Linux pc..i can only view...with Linux i am a complete novice..in fact ...i'm below that ...i was only trying it and i found out that it is a very steep learning curve and a user must be comfortable with coding....my mind is windows formatted ever since Windows 98 days and it is not easy to swap and think Linuxly as it is a different architecture

treblefree, Apr 7, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    I always keep an USB with Linux on it with tools installed in persistence mode, You can do anything to practically any system including reformatting and working with partitions.

CountMike, Apr 7, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    When you get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen during installation of Windows 10 you can delete all the partitions and (optionally) format the drive.

As Windows installer doesn't understand Linux ext4 etc partitions they will be seen as "Unknown partition" but you can still delete them.

Reformatting destroys the partition table so they will be gone.

When you continue with the install Windows will create the partitions it needs out of the now unallocated space.

11. CountMike New Member
    Yes and you still have to delete them if you want to reclaim space. Reformatting can also be done from there but I like to clean disks to RAW state before installing OS. Some Linux distros may need more of "pedestrian" work (and knowledge) to install.

CountMike, Apr 7, 2017
  12. My problem has not been solved...i thought it was...i reformatted disc..ok..so far..rebooted pc ...had to put in my HP Recovery Discs...rebooted ok...now when i tried to upgrade to Windows 10...i get a message stating .Windows 10 installation cannot install in audit mode..Did a search on Google and found this link
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State

to delete a key.

Rebooted but now get a message Windows cannot complete installation.Restart pc to continue.

Rebooted pc and then i see

Checking Media Presence...
    Media Presence....
    Start Pxe over IPv4...
    then Start Pxe over IPv6

I just keep seeing this and Windows cannot complete installation.message every time i reboot pc and
    and i keep going into a loop

Have i done something wrong when i reformatted hard drive

treblefree, Apr 7, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

You should be booting the computer from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive. You can use the Media Creation Tool and let it make a USB flash drive for you:
    Download Windows 10

If you have the Windows 10 ISO file already saved you can make your own. Format the USB flash drive as FAT32, mark the FAT32 partition on the flash drive active, mount the Windows 10 ISO file, copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

Boot the computer from the Windows 10 USB flash drive. When you get the first screen, press shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Run:

diskpart

list disk

select disk # <put the number of the hard drive in the computer in place of #. It is probably going to be select disk 0

clean <this completely erases the selected disk

exit

bootrec /fixmbr

exit

Then continue with the install. If it asks you for a product key, click the link for "I don't have a product key". Select the custom install option. Highlight the unallocated space on the hard drive and click next to let Windows set up the drive and install Windows. When the computer reboots, if you go back into the first install screen from the USB flash drive, just pull the flash drive out and reboot the computer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2017
  14. Sorry for delay in replying...I have finally managed to install a fresh Windows Creators update on HP pavillion pc.I kept just the basic programs on...however i have noticed 2 partitions i have never come across before ie Buildpart, and E....
    Can these be deleted or are they required for Creators update also the Recovery Partition is a bit big..was it because i kept rebooting and doing a couple of HP Pc factory resets using recovery discs and Recovery Partitions did not get overwritten but recovery partitions just got laid upon each other ?

treblefree, Apr 8, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    Better post a picture of your Disk Management.

CountMike, Apr 8, 2017
Thema:

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

1. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ? - Similar Threads - reformatting hard drive

2. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  3. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  4. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reformatting A Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reformatting A Hard Drive: I have an issue with a hard driveIt needs do be reformatted buy its on read only but but I cant set it to read only thehard drive was used so i tried to change the setting of security. It greyed out...
  6. reformatting my hard drive

reformatting my hard drive: Previous old answers to this question did not answer how to format and wipe a hard drive in order to completely reload a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reformatting-my-hard-drive/92a215f1-7444-4a89-bca4-e11b8146e1b8
  7. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...
  8. Reformatting Hard Drives.

Reformatting Hard Drives.: I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows 10 after I have...
  9. Need Hard Drive reformatting help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Hard Drive reformatting help: Hello everyone, I have got a external hard drive that was used for extra storage with a Dish DVR. We now want to format it for use on windows now. I been doing some research on it and everything so far I tried, didnt work. I have tried using Western Digitals Tool to do...
  10. Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition: Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old OS drive and get "OS (E*Smile Simple Volume is currently in use" and statement regarding forced deletion may affect...