Windows 10: Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data?

Discus and support Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an Optane HDD. Upon booting my laptop I get the notification to please install an operating system. It was running fine on window 10 now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JibWilson, Oct 27, 2022.

1. JibWilson Win User

Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data?

I have an Optane HDD. Upon booting my laptop I get the notification to please install an operating system. It was running fine on window 10 now nothing. I made a bootable windows 10 USB drive using the Media Creation Tool and when booting from the USB drive it wants to install windows 10. Will this install erase my data on the laptop?

:)

JibWilson, Oct 27, 2022
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, Oct 27, 2022
  3. Microsoft Surface Data Eraser

Microsoft Surface Data Eraser

Source: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ce-data-eraser

Cluster Head, Oct 27, 2022
  4. Kursah Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Oct 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data? - Similar Threads - reinstalling erase data

2. Why I can't reinstall windows 11 without erasing my data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I can't reinstall windows 11 without erasing my data?: I can't reinstall the windows 11 without erasing my data.The error: Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory or you're trying to install an older version of Windows....
  3. Why I can't reinstall windows 11 without erasing my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I can't reinstall windows 11 without erasing my data?: I can't reinstall the windows 11 without erasing my data.The error: Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory or you're trying to install an older version of Windows....
  4. Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data?

Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data?: I have an Optane HDD. Upon booting my laptop I get the notification to please install an operating system. It was running fine on window 10 now nothing. I made a bootable windows 10 USB drive using the Media Creation Tool and when booting from the USB drive it wants to...
  5. Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will reinstalling windows 10 erase my data?: I have an Optane HDD. Upon booting my laptop I get the notification to please install an operating system. It was running fine on window 10 now nothing. I made a bootable windows 10 USB drive using the Media Creation Tool and when booting from the USB drive it wants to...
  6. Erasing all the data.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Erasing all the data.: What rubbish is this ? How can Microsoft do this without prior info or notice ? Do you even know how much crucial data can be on someone's laptop ? I'm having windows 10 and last night it got updated after that when I opened it in the morning all the data was erased. I mean...
  7. Help, reinstall windows 10 erased ALL of my partitions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help, reinstall windows 10 erased ALL of my partitions: Hello, After using my PC for 3 years I wanted a fresh install. I used the system recovery function of windows 10. I allowed windows to delete my files, thinking it would only erase all my files on my C partition, the SSD drive for windows. After the reinstall I found out...
  8. Erase data win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Erase data win 10: Bot new computer, want to donate. How erase[ delete data ]. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-data-win-10/3bd60287-b5f1-44b5-b037-156266d23d18"
  9. reset and erase all my data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reset and erase all my data: HI I cant reset my computer and erase all my data. when i try to do it in settings it dosent work and when i go to troubleshoot it dosent work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-and-erase-all-my-data/c54faacc-b0cc-497e-8c71-9b70f8a04840
  10. Recover Erased Data

Recover Erased Data: Recover Erased Data [ATTACH] Allows users to rescue deleted files from FAT16, FAT32, EXTFAT, NTFS, NTFS5, HFS+ and HFX Can be easily used over USB flash drive, memory card, external hard drive, etc. Easily rescue deleted files from Mac and Windows operating system with...