Windows 10: Will secure boot stop an installation of linux on an external ?

Discus and support Will secure boot stop an installation of linux on an external ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Will secure boot stop an installation of linux on an external ? Was wondering have Ubuntu on my desktop but I have a msi laptop with secure boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kevzombie, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Kevzombie Win User

Will secure boot stop an installation of linux on an external ?

Will secure boot stop an installation of linux on an external ? Was wondering have Ubuntu on my desktop but I have a msi laptop with secure boot looking to install on an external drive to test different distro. Not to familiar with how secure boot will affect the pc trying to usb?

:)

Kevzombie, Apr 1, 2019

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Apr 1, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Apr 1, 2019
  4. Dandel Win User

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Apr 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Will secure boot stop an installation of linux on an external ? - Similar Threads - secure boot stop

2. How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?: In past i had windows 10 in my PC but later i completely removed it and I installed Ubuntu. But now i want to dual boot windows and linux both. I don't know how can i do that?...
  3. How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?: In past i had windows 10 in my PC but later i completely removed it and I installed Ubuntu. But now i want to dual boot windows and linux both. I don't know how can i do that?...
  4. How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem booting into Windows after installing Linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem booting into Windows after installing Linux: My case is long, so here we go. I have an iMac late 2013 with bootcamp installed, with Windows 10 and macOS. This morning I tried installed Ubuntu, with an USB sitick of the 20.04 version. I booted into it with pressing alt and selecting the USB stick and booted it....
  6. BootHole vulnerability in Secure Boot affecting Linux and Windows

in Windows 10 News
    BootHole vulnerability in Secure Boot affecting Linux and Windows: [ATTACH] “BootHole” vulnerability in the GRUB2 bootloader opens up Windows and Linux devices using Secure Boot to attack. All operating systems using GRUB2 with Secure Boot must release new installers and bootloaders. Join Eclypsium for a webinar...
  7. Auto restart after installing linux on an external ssd.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Auto restart after installing linux on an external ssd.: Hello, Recently I installed kali kinux on an usb 3.0 portable ssd, it booted up perfectly through the boot menu, but after booting back into windows, the 3.0 ports stopped working and everytime I try to turn off my PC, it boots back up. I've tried several things, like...
  8. Can’t boot neither Windows or Linux after installing Linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t boot neither Windows or Linux after installing Linux: submitted by /u/Tidalikk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7e5wo/cant_boot_neither_windows_or_linux_after/
  9. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  10. BitLocker Secure Boot error after installing Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker Secure Boot error after installing Linux Mint: Hello, I have a windows 10 professional laptop. A few days ago i had installed linux mint on the same device in a dual boot configuration. The installlation has altered the UEFI boot to include the boot loader menu for linux. My problem is that every time i boot in the...