Windows 10: Will setting Active Hours allow me to schedule a restart for 1903?

Discus and support Will setting Active Hours allow me to schedule a restart for 1903? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, all. Tired of going round in circles with Microsoft Support on Twitter, so thought I'd ask here. My mother's laptop has been downloading the 1903... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Casey, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Casey Win User

Will setting Active Hours allow me to schedule a restart for 1903?

Hi, all.

Tired of going round in circles with Microsoft Support on Twitter, so thought I'd ask here. My mother's laptop has been downloading the 1903 update, but I want to have control over when it installs. I can't set Active Hours, as she doesn't have a typical usage pattern. Is there any way that I can tell Windows when to install the update, so that she doesn't get interrupted?

Thanks,

:)

Casey, Jul 29, 2019

2. Windows update and restart during active hours

Hi susanahlburg,

There will be situations when Windows Update can override the set active hours due to a bug. As a workaround, I suggest that you set your connection as metered to control when updates are installed.

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:

• Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet >
      Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
    • Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection.

In addition, if you are experienced in modifying group policies and registry keys, you can configure a forced restart after a specified installation time, and then turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours. Should you choose to proceed with modifying
    group policies and registry keys, I suggest that you seek assistance from an IT professional or technician to avoid further issues with the system. Here is an
    article on how to manage device restarts after updates. Refer to
    Schedule update installation and Delay automatic reboot.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Oct 1, 2019
  3. mGosh Win User
    Suggestion: More Flexible Active Hours

Just a suggestion: Please allow us to set more flexible active hours.

Today I was notified that I had an update pending that required a restart. I was also notified that it would be done during inactive hours, which were set to whatever the default was. As I really don't want my computer to restart when I need it (particularly
    while teaching a class which requires the use of my computer or grading assignments in the evening - the last update installed a few days ago cost me about 3 hours of productivity. If it hadn't been a weekend, it would have had seriously disastrous affect
    on my day).

But upon trying to assign active hours that work with my schedule, I'm notified that the active hours must be between 1 hour and 12 hour period. Frankly, this is unnecessary and just feels like Microsoft trying to tell me when I'm allowed to use my own computer.
    I work too much. I know that already. But trying to box me into this window is unhelpful and potentially destructive.

Microsoft has no authority over my work schedule - please do not presume to. Allow users to set active hours that meet our schedules, not yours.

mGosh, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Notify to schedule restart

The restart options changed quite a lot from 1511 to 1607, apparently due to customer feedback according to MS. "Notify to schedule restart" was replaced with "Active Hours" an (up to) 12-hour window in which a restart will not be allowed. When an update needs a restart you can use "Restart options" to choose a time and day for the restart. This option is greyed-out until a restart is needed. More details on the changes in this thread:

Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update?

My preferred technique is to set a 'Metered connection'. That way the automatic check for updates still takes place and notifies me that an update is available, but I can download the update at a time of my own choosing, then restart immediately.

Bree, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Will setting Active Hours allow me to schedule a restart for 1903? - Similar Threads - setting Active Hours

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  4. Let me set active hours regardless of how long they are.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Let me set active hours regardless of how long they are.: it's not letting me manually change my active hours. there's the way-too-short default, and the starts-too-late 10 -23. I need a 9:00-23:00, minimum. how do I manually alter my active hours to my requirements....
  5. Not allowing me to update Windows to version 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not allowing me to update Windows to version 1903: I have already posted this but nobody has helped me. Hello. My Windows is not allowing me to update. When I am in settings and try to update it gives me Error 0x80070015. I have researched that error on these forums and nothing has helped. I resulted to updating manually...
  6. Not allowing me to update Windows to version 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not allowing me to update Windows to version 1903: Hello. My Windows is not allowing me to update. When I am in settings and try to update it gives me Error 0x80070015. I have researched that error on these forums and nothing has helped. I resulted to updating manually where it got stuck at 89% for over 3 hours and...
  7. Active Hours in "settings"

Active Hours in "settings": Hi, I'm trying to change my "active hours" in my Settings area, and when I put in the NEW ACTIVE Hours, it just keeps the old hours setting...How can I get it to keep the NEW active hours I want to change it to? I've clicked on the CHANGE command, but it just won't make the...
  8. Settings: Change active hours

Settings: Change active hours: W10 will not let me set end of active hours to more than 11pm same day. Trying for 6AM to 12am (midnight). Smithurmann Winchester Mass. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-change-active-hours/af381423-ced8-41bb-93ce-4e5a0240435b
  9. Settings, Active Hours

Settings, Active Hours: My settings for Active Hours are from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM, yet I get frequent updates between 9-10:00 AM, which logs me off without notice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-active-hours/84b7c0a6-d14a-4657-8285-c7e060d3599b
  10. Notify for Scheduled Restart setting?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Notify for Scheduled Restart setting?: I did some testing on my Win 10 box and I had selected to Notify for Scheduled Restart when updates are completed installing. I had set my own preference schedule, for example 18:45 today (which was in fact yesterday). Anyways, I ran the Check for Updates and when the...