Windows 10: Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel?

Discus and support Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; At the start when I heard that Windows 10 was going to have a "Settings" app alongside Control Panel, I thought it was silly. Jumping ahead to now, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MrMii Win 10, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel?

At the start when I heard that Windows 10 was going to have a "Settings" app alongside Control Panel, I thought it was silly. Jumping ahead to now, I kind of like Settings. It makes doing some things easier and puts it all in one place (Although the taskbar options, like large or small buttons for ex, should've stayed as a taskbar context menu in my opinion).

In the last notice I read about the upcoming new build, Microsoft stated that another program would be migrating to Settings, Disk Cleanup. It's not part of Control Panel that I'm aware of, but makes me think that eventually, everything that's in Control Panel will be accessible in Settings, and Control Panel will no longer exist. Do you know if it will happen or think it might? Opinions are welcome.

:)

MrMii Win 10, Feb 23, 2018
  2. WindowsOS Win User

When will Control Panel be completely gone in Windows 10?

Nobody knows exactly when all the items in the Control Panel will be migrated to the Settings App but it will happen eventually probably a few items at a time.

WindowsOS, Feb 23, 2018
  3. Missing the Control Panel in Windows 10

"Settings" replaces Control Panel. Eventually the old "1980's style" Control Panel will be removed entirely. But for the time being, you can still reach it by running the command "control" (or "control.exe" if you like) from the Run box, or by making
    a shortcut to it.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 23, 2018
  4. swarfega Win User

Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel?

I like settings as well. I believe its Microsoft's aim to fully replace Control Panel.

The only parts of control panel I use now are uninstall programs and power settings.

swarfega, Feb 23, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    That was the plan but it's pretty slow to implement. Pretty mixed up for now. Some parts are in Settings only, some in Control panel only and some you can access from both. Some are even sending you from one to other. I'm old school and prefer CP and God Mode for some settings but getting gradually used to Start > Settings, specially when I don't have easy path to desktop and CP icon.
    There is/was a way to ad CP to right click on Start but it keeps on getting lost at every insider build installation so I gave up on it although it's an ideal place for it.

CountMike, Feb 23, 2018
  6. nt62 Win User
    Windows 10 is designed for touch devices.
    Control.exe is not.
    "Settings" is designed for touch devices.

7. CountMike New Member
    Windows 10 is designed for desktop PCs without touch just as much if not more. Settings are not any friendlier to touch screens than CP is design wise. If it was for touch only, all settings would be just tiles. Like this, it's just a mashup that's not here nor there.

CountMike, Feb 23, 2018
  8. nt62 Win User

agree. not touch only.

not necessarily. got to be realistic. windows uses a block design.

It's ergonomics and finger tips going forward.
    A mouse pointer is still necessary but tablet tech is moving away from the mouse.

so windows now is a hybrid

Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel? [​IMG]

9. nt62 Win User
    Before the fire and brimstone - a mouse will always be necessary - always in pc tech

*Banghead *Sad *Shock *Rolleyes

Absolutely - no one can imagine doing a spreadsheet or other data entry without a mouse.
    I don't write OS code.

10. As much as I would hate to see it go, I'm certain that Control Panel will eventually give it's final farewells, but definitely not in the near future it looks like.

MrMii Win 10, Feb 26, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    Once Control Panel is open with its icon on the Taskbar, I just right-click that icon and choose Pin to Taskbar. When CP is closed the icon is still there. It has remained since Version 1709 Build 16299.15 through Build 16299.248.

Berton, Feb 26, 2018
  12. Steve C Win User
    The Settings menu is fine in principle but frequently when MS moves a setting from the Control Panel to Settings they reduce the functionality and usability at the same time. It seems they are designing the Settings menu for idiots. Fortunately to date it has been possible to use the old Control Panel settings method if you know where to look.

Steve C, Feb 27, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

MS doesn't like users to dabble too much in system and basic settings. I'm almost surprised they didn't dumb it down even more.

CountMike, Feb 27, 2018
  14. MS has been promising to replace the Control panel with Settings since W8.

Even after 6 years have passed, MS still hasn't been able to do it.
    *Doh

lehnerus2000, Feb 28, 2018
  15. Mikedyce Win User
    ...And I for one hope they never do..

Mikedyce, Mar 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel? - Similar Threads - Settings eventually replace

2. "Settings app" aka the control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Settings app" aka the control panel: Is there any way to change the layout of what they now call the "settings app"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-app-aka-the-control-panel/ed3d1443-6f70-4f8c-a080-3557b6043b25
  3. Control Panel VS Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel VS Settings: Hello everybody,Who preferes the control panel and who preferes settings in ms win10?what i think: i dont like settings because a lot of control panel functions are not included.settings seems to be the UWP of the control panel. Is settings wrongly designed yes still in...
  4. Windows 10 update will improve Control Panel replacement ‘Settings’

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update will improve Control Panel replacement ‘Settings’: Windows 10 still comes with the familiar Control Panel and it also has the Windows 8-era Settings app, which includes additional customization features. However, users still have to look in Control Panel for many options. Like Control Panel, Windows 10 Settings app is...
  5. Invalid Control Panel Setting

Invalid Control Panel Setting: I uninstalled Avira Antivirus and I use Avast now, however there is one issue it left after uninstalling. There is invalid setting in Control Panel called Avira Antivirus and it has default folder icon. I checked .cpl files in system32 folder, but I didn't find any file that...
  6. Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in...

in Windows 10 News
    Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in...: When Microsoft announced that it would replace the entire Control Panel with the Settings app in Windows 10, no one thought that it would take the company longer than five years to achieve that goal. Microsoft migrated some Control Panel applets to the Settings application...
  7. Possible to replace setting with control-panel everywhere?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible to replace setting with control-panel everywhere?: Just wondered if it would be possible to change every button that links to a page in the settings app to link to classic control-panel like in Win 8.1? Like "Sound" or "Display settings" etc.. Maybe someone has written a script or something similar? Would this be possible...
  8. Control Panel AND Settings

Control Panel AND Settings: Why do we find two possibilities to change settings, Control Panel and Settings. They don't cover eachother as far as I know. Why not bring them together? It would be much less confusing in my opinion....
  9. no language setting in control panel

no language setting in control panel: [ATTACH]no language setting in control panel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-language-setting-in-control-panel/7747d59d-3536-4785-b09b-70d0a9939941
  10. Microsoft to replace Control Panel with Windows 10 Settings app

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to replace Control Panel with Windows 10 Settings app: Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) provides users with two ways to access settings, the traditional Control Panel with access to various functions and tools, as well as the new Modern UI Settings app. The former is the more advanced option, but Microsoft is moving away from...