Windows 10: Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

Discus and support Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Nisko Win User

Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster because my computer is on for so many hours per day. Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Aug 13, 2020
  2. Clintlgm Win User

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

What are you talking about, I have Samsung 830 for 5 years and its still running great there is no issue with NTFS and SSD

To the OP all you have to do is use Macrium Reflect to clone your disk to your SSD you'll have to option to shrink your C partition before you start the actual clone check out this video
    it walks you through step by step

Clintlgm, Aug 13, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

1. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time? - Similar Threads - SSD drives wear

2. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?: Is it safe for the USB drive to run Windows 10 on it? As far as I know, Windows causes a lot of writing and erasing, indicating Windows will quickly use up all the write/erase cycles of the USB. Is this true? If yes, why doesn't it happen to SSDs, too? If USB drives have...
  3. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?: Is it safe for the USB drive to run Windows 10 on it? As far as I know, Windows causes a lot of writing and erasing, indicating Windows will quickly use up all the write/erase cycles of the USB. Is this true? If yes, why doesn't it happen to SSDs, too? If USB drives have...
  4. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make my pc run faster?: My pc is extremely slow and blacks out many times during working hours.How to increase its processing speed and how to deal with black screen problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-pc-run-faster/0a2c10f5-98a6-4329-aa0e-ac936526f61a
  6. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make my pc run faster?: My pc is extremely slow and blacks out many times during working hours.How to increase its processing speed and how to deal with black screen problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-pc-run-faster/0a2c10f5-98a6-4329-aa0e-ac936526f61a
  7. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?: My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster because my computer is on for so many hours per day. Thank you. 162430
  9. My clock runs faster than the actual time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My clock runs faster than the actual time: It isn't a lot faster but every week or so it is about a minute ahead and I have to reset it. How do I make it so that it checks for the correct time on startup? I am running on v1803. submitted by /u/mothh9 [link] [comments]...
  10. SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question: Hi All Still getting used to having an SSD Drive, supposedly it trimmed autoly on March 9th, so that's good, now looked into Smart data in Western Digitals SSD Dashboard, and got a concern, that possibly somethings writing a lot I might be concerned over nothing, but...