Windows 10: Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

Discus and support Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nisko, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Nisko Win User

Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster because my computer is on for so many hours per day. Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Aug 22, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    You can still run Windows on quite small partitions / SSD's - just keep data etc elsewhere / just other HDD;s / SSD's.

Here's a VM of latest W10 (DEV) build.

I have still have around 40 GB spare on 80 GB allocated drive --this Windows system has office pro plus 2019 including project and Visio, vlc, photoshop, SAP GUI, and a few other things and still is only around 40 GB.

Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time? [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User

Nisko,

Yes, they will wear out with use [writing primarily but also, to a much lesser extent, with reading].

I've had an SSD in one computer for five years and its test software estimates that 2% of its life has expired.
    - So, if this computer lives to be 50 I am bound to have to replace the drives.
    - But an unexpected failure can strike at any time whether it is in use or not.

So the short answer is, "Yes.", but the more helpful answer is, "It is unlikely to matter.".

If leaving it on brings you some benefit then carry on as you are.

Denis

4. sygnus21 Win User

By the time you need to worry about wear you'd of already replaced the drive. Anyway this is sort of worrying about replacing your at 200,000 miles when you barely have 900 miles on it. Relax. Enjoy.

BTW I have 5 SSDs in my system and just let the PC go into sleep mode. I rarely shut down unless it's for maintenance.

My reality is different as I said above - I rarely power off my PC; Instead I use sleep mode (even overnight) unless bad weather is around or I'm going out of town for a couple of days.

I'm also one who believes cycling a PC on and off all the time also wears out electronics thus one should develop a "balanced" plan. I typically use sleep mode unless I'm going out of town for a few days where I power off.

sygnus21, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time? - Similar Threads - SSD drives wear

2. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?: Is it safe for the USB drive to run Windows 10 on it? As far as I know, Windows causes a lot of writing and erasing, indicating Windows will quickly use up all the write/erase cycles of the USB. Is this true? If yes, why doesn't it happen to SSDs, too? If USB drives have...
  3. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?: Is it safe for the USB drive to run Windows 10 on it? As far as I know, Windows causes a lot of writing and erasing, indicating Windows will quickly use up all the write/erase cycles of the USB. Is this true? If yes, why doesn't it happen to SSDs, too? If USB drives have...
  4. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make my pc run faster?: My pc is extremely slow and blacks out many times during working hours.How to increase its processing speed and how to deal with black screen problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-pc-run-faster/0a2c10f5-98a6-4329-aa0e-ac936526f61a
  6. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make my pc run faster?: My pc is extremely slow and blacks out many times during working hours.How to increase its processing speed and how to deal with black screen problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-pc-run-faster/0a2c10f5-98a6-4329-aa0e-ac936526f61a
  7. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?: My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster because my computer is on for so many hours per day. Thank you. 162430
  9. My clock runs faster than the actual time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My clock runs faster than the actual time: It isn't a lot faster but every week or so it is about a minute ahead and I have to reset it. How do I make it so that it checks for the correct time on startup? I am running on v1803. submitted by /u/mothh9 [link] [comments]...
  10. SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question: Hi All Still getting used to having an SSD Drive, supposedly it trimmed autoly on March 9th, so that's good, now looked into Smart data in Western Digitals SSD Dashboard, and got a concern, that possibly somethings writing a lot I might be concerned over nothing, but...