Windows 10: Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive?

Discus and support Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello folks, Just installed 250GB SSD as my OS drive. The old 1TB drive will replace the DVD drive in the laptop. Ideally, I do not want anything on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by crackhammer, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive?

Hello folks,

Just installed 250GB SSD as my OS drive. The old 1TB drive will replace the DVD drive in the laptop. Ideally, I do not want anything on the OS/System drive other than the OS. I want to point all data to the older drive.

This includes all user folders like Video, Audio, Documents, Downloads etc. Ideally, I want to create links where when I access these folders, I will be directed to the same folders on the older 1TB drive. When I download something off the web to downloads folder, it will also go to the Downloads folder on 1TB drive. So the question I am asking, how do I achieve this?

While searching, I came across Symlinks. The detailed article is here at How-To (The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on Windows ) I read this article a couple of times but I admit, I am not very clear if this will achieve what I want to do.

Can anyone give me idea(s) if I am on a right path? Is there any other (easier) option to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

crackhammer, Oct 12, 2018

2. Help needed with symlinks please Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive? :)

I'm looking to create the save folder for FEAR on another hard drive and not the one with the OS/game on it. I have downloaded the symlinker software but I can't get my head around what I need to do, can anyone help please *Smile Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive? :)

LifeOnMars, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Update symlinks after moving target folder

Hi,
    I'm a photographer who recently started using symlinks to classify my photos into categories (read folders) on my windows 10 laptop. The target RAW files stay in folders on a removable HDD. Issue: I need to move the target folders a little (one step up or down the tree), and rename one of them. The filenames remain unchanged. Is there any program or utility out there which will allow me to change the symlink targets to point to the new locations, in batches, without me having to delete all the dead symlinks and create them again? Basically update the links the symlinks point to? *Huh
    Thanks

kumaramesh, Oct 12, 2018
  4. Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive?

help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive?

1. Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive? - Similar Threads - Symlinks help connecting

2. help me open a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    help me open a folder: I Use Dell Windows 10 Home OPTIPLEX 790 Computer and Whenever I Try to open a document folder from the file explorer the following message popup saying 'C:\Users\Sol\Dropbox\PC\Documents\documents_old\My Documents is not accessible . Access is Denied' can you help me solve...
  3. help me open a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help me open a folder: I Use Dell Windows 10 Home OPTIPLEX 790 Computer and Whenever I Try to open a document folder from the file explorer the following message popup saying 'C:\Users\Sol\Dropbox\PC\Documents\documents_old\My Documents is not accessible . Access is Denied' can you help me solve...
  4. Please help me fix my wifi connection it's driving me insane

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help me fix my wifi connection it's driving me insane: Ok so for the past few months I've been facing issues while connecting to my wifi. I was able to connect to and use it with my phone but not my laptop. I kinda found a temporary fix which was to set use random address for this network to change daily. This worked for a while...
  5. Connecting an older monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting an older monitor: Hi I have got an older monitor. I connected it with an HDMI-VGA adapter cable to my laptop and at first it worked. Unfortunately, the next time I switched everything on all I got was 'Input not supported'. Trying to fix the problem I accidentally clicked inSettings -...
  6. Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?: TL;DR On COMPUTER-A I have a folder, with several files and sub-folders. COMPUTER-B is on the same network. On COMPUTER-B, can I add a symlink to the folder, but exclude one of the sub-folders? Hi all. I have a question about Windows symlinks. Here is my setup: I have two...
  7. creating symlink

in Windows 10 Support
    creating symlink: using Command Prompt, only to be told that I "do not have sufficient privileges" What am I doing wrong, please? 147104
  8. Deleting an older Windows folder from another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting an older Windows folder from another drive: There is a previously installed Windows folder taking up many GBs of space on my D drive. I'm running my current OS from the C drive. So I went through the steps to change the ownership of the folder from Trusted Installer to my account name. Then I added my account name...
  9. Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help...: This is probably teaching people to suck eggs, but may help clear things up for some readers... I was unable to connect to an older (backup) AP in Win10, but Win7 and my phone, tablet etc could connect no problem - these were connecting using WPA-TKIP, but MS now only...
  10. Update symlinks after moving target folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Update symlinks after moving target folder: Hi, I'm a photographer who recently started using symlinks to classify my photos into categories (read folders) on my windows 10 laptop. The target RAW files stay in folders on a removable HDD. Issue: I need to move the target folders a little (one step up or down the tree),...