Windows 10: Will the Linux kernel replace the Windows kernel?

Discus and support Will the Linux kernel replace the Windows kernel? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We were chatting at work recently and someone suggested that perhaps Microsoft should replace the Windows kernel with Linux. That is, keep the "wrap"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Will the Linux kernel replace the Windows kernel?

We were chatting at work recently and someone suggested that perhaps Microsoft should replace the Windows kernel with Linux.
    That is, keep the "wrap" ... the parts seen by users ... but scrap the underlying kernel.
    - Cost savings for Microsoft ... no more kernel to support
    - Performance benefit for users ... the Linux kernel can run circles around Windows

It makes sense and it has me wondering ...

:)

margrave55, Sep 16, 2019
  2. OneMoar Win User

Exquisitely sensitive stability testing - the linux kernel!

its not advisable to argue with a Wizzard he might turn you into a toad
    and no one runs stress tests under linux
    unless Linux is there main os .... and who runs Linux as there main os .... no one /trolling the linux kernel is not a TOOL for anything its a Kernel ... I suggest you go read up on the subject windows has a Kernel to and its far more sensitive to OC faults then Linux
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)

OneMoar, Sep 16, 2019
  3. graysky Win User
    Exquisitely sensitive stability testing - the linux kernel!

I do on both counts.

I disagree with your statement: if it [the windows kernel] were far more sensitivity to OC faults, you wouldn't need to rely on the stress tester itself to inform you of a fault. It would tell you before they happen as what I posted does.

The whole point of my post was to give you a tool to, "detect instabilities in your overclock settings with both greater accuracy and sensitivity than either Prime95 or IBT/LinX." Guess I should have extended the statement to encompass the windows kernel as well.

graysky, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Will the Linux kernel replace the Windows kernel?

Millennium, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

Will the Linux kernel replace the Windows kernel?

1. Will the Linux kernel replace the Windows kernel? - Similar Threads - Linux kernel replace

2. Linux kernel compatibility of windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Linux kernel compatibility of windows 10: Hello community,I installed ubuntu 20.04 LTS in windows 10. I am new to this stuff. I am learning Linux device drivers. Can I use this for LKM development? on beginner level?...
  3. New Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) 2 Linux kernel to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) 2 Linux kernel to Windows 10: Note: This blog post is co-authored by the awesome WSL dev Pierre Boulay. Thanks Pierre! We’ve just shipped the 5.10.16.3 WSL 2 Linux kernel version to Windows Insiders which brings exciting new changes: Support for the LUKS disk encryption, and some...
  4. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  5. Microsoft adding exFAT to Linux kernel

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft adding exFAT to Linux kernel: Microsoft ♥ Linux – we say that a lot, and we mean it! Today we’re pleased to announce that Microsoft is supporting the addition of Microsoft’s exFAT technology to the Linux kernel. exFAT is the Microsoft-developed file system that’s used in Windows and in many types of...
  6. VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS

VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS: Hi folks This script (I got from the net somewhere - can't remember though) should fix the problem with VMware and updated kernels when using Linux Hosts put this script in the vmmodules install file - usually this one : /etc/kernel/install.d/99-vmmodules.install...
  7. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  8. Is Windows Getting Linux Kernel Inside It ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Windows Getting Linux Kernel Inside It ?: Hello, I read in a news article at TechRadat and News.Tech saying Windows is getting Linuxed. What does this mean? Is windows getting Linux kernel inside it ?...
  9. Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows 10: Beginning with Windows Insiders builds this Summer, we will include an in-house custom-built Linux kernel to underpin the newest version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). This marks the first time that the Linux kernel will be included as a component in Windows. This...
  10. New Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Linux kernel with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Linux kernel with Windows 10: Today we’re unveiling the newest architecture for the Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL 2! Changes in this new architecture will allow for: dramatic file system performance increases, and full system call compatibility, meaning you can run more Linux apps in WSL 2 such as...