Windows 10: Will the "Listen To" playback to "Default Device" function ever get fixed again?

Discus and support Will the "Listen To" playback to "Default Device" function ever get fixed again? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; It's a issue that is described by some users here already:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Skyyblaze, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Will the "Listen To" playback to "Default Device" function ever get fixed again?

It's a issue that is described by some users here already:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t-device/5521af27-7c55-408c-bcc9-42dbfc9d64d8

Basically when you have any input device set to "Listen To" output to "Default Device" it won't be honored automatically when the default device actually gets changed. This used to work flawlessly throughout 1809 and earlier but starting with an update last year it got broken and still is on 1909.

submitted by /u/Skyyblaze
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Skyyblaze, Mar 21, 2020
  2. Jacques Win User

'Listen to device' not changing to default playback device

I have just done a windows update from Windows 10 1803 to 1909 and my audio input which should playback through the default playback device no longer automatically adapts to a change in default playback device. For example if I change the default playback device from Speakers to Headset, the input still plays through Speakers, until I manually go to the settings and Uncheck/recheck listen to this device, or disable/re-enable the input device, then it will play through the headset.

Is there any way to make the "Listen to this device" option always playback through the default playback device, or any way I could programmatically disable/re-enable the audio input so that it would start playing through the correct playback device?

(Picture shows the settings on the Listen tab for my audio input)
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/coZ9f.png

Jacques, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset For EVERY Change

First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update

To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of speakers. It is also an input device, so
    that I can listen to the input device on my real output device, either my speakers or headphones.

So I go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Check "Listen to this device" and under "Playback through this device:" I select "Default Playback Device".

This used to work fine and dandy. Sometime around August 2019, a Windows 10 update broke this. If I plug in my headphones, the default device changes from speakers to headphones. But playback of the virtual audio device stops. If I unplug my headphones, it
    is still stopped. I have to go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Change the dropdown menu from "Default Playback Device" to anything else > Apply > Change the dropdown menu to "Default Playback Device" > Apply again to fix it.

This adds TONS of extra steps to a simple change like plugging in my headphones. I have uninstalled my audio drivers and reinstalled them. This is a problem with how Windows 10 now handles listening to devices and needs to be fixed.

EnderofGames, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Will the "Listen To" playback to "Default Device" function ever get fixed again?

Different default playback device for each user profile.

Hi hs369258,

Windows 10 has a feature that allows you to select a default sound output. If you want to replace your current audio device, you can select the other audio playback device available on your system and set it as
    default. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the sound icon in your system tray and click
      Playback Devices.
    2. On the Playback tab, check which device is the default. Then, right-click it then set it to default.

In addition, you can visit this link:
    https://winaero.com/blog/change-default-audio-device-windows-10/
    to perform an alternative option to change your default audio device.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Will the "Listen To" playback to "Default Device" function ever get fixed again?

1. Will the "Listen To" playback to "Default Device" function ever get fixed again? - Similar Threads - Listen playback Default

2. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  3. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  4. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10: Windows 10 allows PC users to listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. In this post, we will show you how to listen to microphone through a Playback...
  6. Unable to set default playback device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to set default playback device: Hello! I have installed VB Virtual audio cable to be able to change my voice through fl studio and into Discord. After which everything was working fine, until the next boot-up of my PC. I have no sound playing and after looking into it, I realised that Windows detected VB...
  7. Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device: I use Line In to play audio through my PC speakers. I have the option selected to playback through Default Playback Device. Since the most recent Windows build update when I switch the sound output from Speakers to Headphones, the Line In continues to play through Speakers. I...
  8. unable to listen to device through playback settings

unable to listen to device through playback settings: So about a month ago i updated my sound drivers - and ever since then i have been unable to listen to my mic through the playback settings, i can listen to it through the record/mic settings but then there is a lag. I can't even back up to the point prior the update. How can...
  9. Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows: How to: Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows If you like, you can listen to your microphone through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. You can...
  10. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...