Windows 10: Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?

Discus and support Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi OK I got a new fan and attempted to fix my old laptop (the Acer Aspire 5742) but it didn't work. (Even though the old fan looks ok. And it wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Photo, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Photo Win User

Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?

Hi OK I got a new fan and attempted to fix my old laptop (the Acer Aspire 5742) but it didn't work. (Even though the old fan looks ok. And it wasn't even that dusty). But it was an eleven year old laptop, so... Anyway I still have 4 days work on the old laptop SSD. So will this device work to house the old SSD and make it an external hard drive? Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP) - Sabrent Thanks a lot

:)

Photo, Aug 16, 2021
  2. WiIfred P Win User

Use Internal SSD (With Windows 10 installed) as a Temporary External Drive?

Hi there,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about using Internal SSD as an external drive.

There won't be any problem with using your internal SSD as an external drive as long you will not alter or delete the Windows folder or anything inside it. The same goes for the Program Files, Program Files (x86), and the other hidden folder. If you want to use it as a temporary external drive, I would suggest creating a new folder on it that you can use a temporary save location.

I hope the information I provided will help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Aug 16, 2021
  3. Internal Drive+Enclosure or External Drive

Hi, I'm not very familiar with storage solutions so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1TB+ drive for backup. External drives seem like more elegant solutions but when I looked on Newegg many reviews seem to suggest that they are not long lived (e.g. break within weeks/months). Is this true? If so, are internal drives + enclosures better? Or do any of you have better solutions that I don't know about (like I said I'm not that familiar with the storage department). Thanks.

runevirage, Aug 16, 2021
  4. ramram55 Win User

How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD

Agreed with pendaws.
    Step 1 using free macrium software (install it in your current PC), then clone the internal drive to your new SSD.
    Step 2, At this point the ssd should be your twin of the internal HD.
    Step 3, install the ssd to the pc. boot it up, you are in business. After you are happy with the set up. I am sure you will be. You have 2 external HD in your hands, use one to clone with macrium. If you want, every week or month use alternate one (external drive) to clone your ssd. SSD speed will definitely beats your old HD hands down. If not your SSD is not working right.

ramram55, Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive? - Similar Threads - turn internal SSD

2. External and Internal Cameras Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External and Internal Cameras Not Working: Hello. I updated to Windows 11 last year and the integrated camera has not worked since then. I've done all the recommendations suggested online check for updated drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled camera driver. I tried the camera key on my laptop Lenovo. I even bought an...
  3. Define New External SSD as Data Drive Instead of Current Internal Dedicated SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Define New External SSD as Data Drive Instead of Current Internal Dedicated SSD.: I have two internal 1TB SSD drives in my Windows 11 23H2 system. The C: drive is dedicated to Windows system/programs, etc. The D: drive is my "Data" drive. It's dedicated to and is the location/target of all of my data, e.g. all libraries, Outlook data files, scanned...
  4. Define New External SSD as Data Drive Instead of Current Internal Dedicated SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Define New External SSD as Data Drive Instead of Current Internal Dedicated SSD.: I have two internal 1TB SSD drives in my Windows 11 23H2 system. The C: drive is dedicated to Windows system/programs, etc. The D: drive is my "Data" drive. It's dedicated to and is the location/target of all of my data, e.g. all libraries, Outlook data files, scanned...
  5. external and internal microphone not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external and internal microphone not working: what should i do? i tried some steps that could help but none of them worked. what should i do? i tried some steps that could help but none of them worked...
  6. external and internal microphone not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external and internal microphone not working: what should i do? i tried some steps that could help but none of them worked. what should i do? i tried some steps that could help but none of them worked...
  7. How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd: I recently got my laptop hdd replaced with an ssd and needed the entire system cloned but I guess the technician didn't understand because he gave me a laptop with a fresh windows 10 copy and only the user profile files stored in a folder called backup Is it possible to...
  8. Use Internal SSD With Windows 10 installed as a Temporary External Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use Internal SSD With Windows 10 installed as a Temporary External Drive?: I just want to make sure it won't damage or mess up any files if I plug in my secondary laptop's SSD to my main laptops USB port I have a SATA to USB cord meant for this. I need the space that the SSD has temporarily....
  9. External SSD Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External SSD Drives: W-10 No Longer Recognizes External SSD Drives on Dell XPS. HP Pavilion does with no problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled USB Drivers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-drives/b13f61d3-e987-4f29-be39-bfc08a38b7e6
  10. SSD external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD external drive: My external ssd device connected to my hp laptop. Device Manager shows ssd in Disk Device but not on system directory....no external drive label https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-external-drive/3df1d677-63b9-4b76-9ac3-0d0f2f7b15fc