Windows 10: Will upgrading cause file loss

Discus and support Will upgrading cause file loss in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Will upgrading my 32 but oc to a 64 bit oc cause file loss! If not how to we do it safely.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by giridharivaddavalli, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Will upgrading cause file loss

Will upgrading my 32 but oc to a 64 bit oc cause file loss! If not how to we do it safely.

:)

giridharivaddavalli, Nov 27, 2020

2. windows 10 reinstall tool that won't cause loss of files or apps? Cortana and ShellExHost corrupt

Hello Joann,

We regret the inconvenience and at the same time we appreciate the effort you have put in to resolve the issue.

Follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc /scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.
    Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.

• To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Click
      here
      for more information about running the DISM Tool.

Method 3

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different Local Administrator user account.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Assuming that you are already logged on to your user account in Windows 10, click the Start button.
    • From the Start menu, click your name from the top of the left pane.
    • From the displayed options click Sign out.
    • From the login screen, click to the different user account you want to switch to.

However, if you do not have a separate user account, I suggest you to create another Local administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

If it still does not help, perform a Repair Upgrade to reinstall Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk.

Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

It is the upgrade performed on the same version/edition of the operating system to repair the damaged files or to restore the lost files of the operating system.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article created by one of our MVPs,
    Andre da Costa.

How to: perform a repair upgrade using the
    Windows 10 ISO file

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to Windows performance issues, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 27, 2020
  3. File transfer

Hi Paul,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Files are automatically transferred to the new operating system when you upgrade therefore, you need not transfer anything. If you created a backup before you initiated the upgrade, you could've restored the files should there be any data loss. However,
    if there are some missing files, I would suggest you to try the steps suggested above and check if you are able to retrieve the files.

Hope this helps.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 27, 2020
  4. swarfega Win User

Will upgrading cause file loss

preparing to upgrade

You can try following this guide. I suggest either step 4 or step 7.

swarfega, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

Will upgrading cause file loss

1. Will upgrading cause file loss - Similar Threads - upgrading cause file

2. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sudden file loss: Sudden file loss after May windows update. Slideshow background option unresponsive. Is my file structure corrupted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-file-loss/529abc34-b51e-441b-b70c-03f9c4ada01b
  3. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sudden file loss: Sudden file loss after May windows update. Slideshow background option unresponsive. Is my file structure corrupted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-file-loss/529abc34-b51e-441b-b70c-03f9c4ada01b
  4. Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?: My computer fully supports UEFI and GPT. However, when I was installing Windows 10, I installed it with the combination of MBR+Legacy Fast, Secure Boot Off. My computer officially supports Windows 11. In the PC Health Check application, it was written that Secure Boot could...
  5. Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?: My computer fully supports UEFI and GPT. However, when I was installing Windows 10, I installed it with the combination of MBR+Legacy Fast, Secure Boot Off. My computer officially supports Windows 11. In the PC Health Check application, it was written that Secure Boot could...
  6. Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows update caused file loss

Windows update caused file loss: I have updated my Win10 with the latest update which turned out to be a complete new build of the system KB4560960. The system didn´t just update but rather reinstaled itself. By doing so, I have lost all my bookmarks and open work in web browsers; all the files I had on my...
  8. loss of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    loss of files: I restarted my computer to update Office files. When it came on all the software files I had on my task bar and all my document files were missing. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/loss-of-files/4d749705-a5e1-4e98-a634-f1ed679bbc62"
  9. file loss

file loss: so today I updated my pc to the latest version of Windows 10 (1809) I finish the update and all and then I try to login to my pc but when I enter my password it will show me a blue screen saying that there is an error i try a couple more times but I can't access my pc so I...
  10. Sound loss after upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound loss after upgrade: I have a home built gaming pc running windows 10 32 bit and never had any issues, I decided to upgrade to 64 bit as it was compatible allowing me to insert more memory. On doing so I lost all USB usage and no sound. I rectified the USB issue but the sound is a no go. The pc...