Windows 10: Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

Discus and support Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop currently runs a duel boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The MBR is GRUB. If I start the upgrade to Windows 10, will it mess up the MBR? Will it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by computersarecoo, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

My laptop currently runs a duel boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The MBR is GRUB. If I start the upgrade to Windows 10, will it mess up the MBR? Will it remove my ability to boot into Windows? I don't care about the Linux partition, as I never use it. Also, if I upgrade using the media creation tool, will I need my product key, and will I still be activated? This is an OEM version of Windows. Thank you in advance.

:)

computersarecoo, Jul 29, 2015
  2. birlak Win User

Dual boot windows 10 with windows 10 by upgrading win 7

I was running dual boot of windows 7 and windows 8.1 for long time. I have upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 since 6 months.

No issues as such. My purpose of dual boot is i solely use the windows 7 for my kid's gaming & other activities, so that he doesn't mess up with the other OS. Now, I would like to upgrade the windows 7 to windows 10 as well. Is dual boot of windows 10 and
    windows 10 possible in first place and will there be any issues in doing so?

birlak, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Quelklef Win User
    Windows 10 upgrading builds -- is it a complete reinstall? [Not about Upgrade Reservation]

-- THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RESERVATION. IT ONLY SAYS THAT BECAUSE THAT WAS THE ONLY OPTION. --

When upgrading builds in Windows 10, does it simply upgrade files or do a complete Windows reinstall?

I'm asking because I want to dual-boot Windows and Linux, but I hear that Windows needs to be installed first. I also want to get build updates, so if they do a complete reinstall, this may mess up my dual-booting.

Thanks for any help.

Quelklef, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

Also, this wouldn't cause issues with drivers, would it?

computersarecoo, Jul 30, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    It is not easy to do, I have a triple boot system. Grub needs to be removed and windows 7 mbr restored before upgrading to 10. I found out with doing test when I was with the insider program, each build I had to remove grub or that build wouldn't install and it would roll back to either the last build or windows 7. I guess each future build, you will need to disable grub before installing it. The hardest thing for me was putting grub back on. I got a super grub cd boot disk to make it easier to do that from what Linux system is already install on your system.

As far as the driver question, I don't know.

groze, Jul 30, 2015
  6. That stinks. Shame that they have to make it hard for those who like to try anything but Windows. Could you possibly walk me through the process?

7. groze Win User
    I can try but I will be basing this on my system. My grammar is not that great. The only thing I don't know well is how to restore grub by using a live cd or usb drive. If you know how to backup your system, I suggest you do that first. Please read carefully before deciding to do this. Windows 10 will create a system reserve partition if not all primary partition are in use don't know how that will work with Ubuntu, haven't tested that method.

You will need
    Cd/dvd drive
    Windows 7 Repair Disk
    Super Grub Boot Disk (Don't use on April 1st, developers have a sense of humor)

First thing you will need to do, is reinstall grub from Ubuntu (In case it installed in the wrong spot)

In terminal
    Sudo grub-install /dev/sda If this doesn't work try sudo /dev/hda
    Enter your sudo password

Then type
    Sudo update-grub

Reboot into Ubuntu one more time, then reboot and boot into windows 7

Create the Super Grub Boot disk.
    Create the Windows 7 repair disk.
    After done re-boot computer (Leave the Windows 7 repair disk in)
    When you see the prompt to hit key.
    Wait (This could take up to 10 minutes to load)
    Choose your keyboard layout. Hit next, the next again if you get a pop up saying your need to repair something, just cancel it.
    Choose the command prompt

Then type
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

If it works, type exit. If it doesn't work. You will need to select the other option choose start-up repair (Reboot to cd and do that 2 more times) Then boot up that disk once more and try this again in the command prompt.

bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

reboot (Don't press the key this time, so it won't it boot to the cd) It should boot you directly to windows 7. Remove Windows 7 repair cd.

Install windows 10.

Restore grub only after all windows 10 update and drivers are installed.

To restore grub
    When ready insert the Super Grub boot disk.
    Restart
    Choose Boot Manually
    The select the partition your Linux is installed on.
    Enter password to log into Ubuntu

In terminal
    Sudo grub-install /dev/sda If this doesn't work try sudo /dev/hda
    Enter your sudo password

Then type
    Sudo update-grub

Eject CD then reboot into whatever system you want to use

I may have missed a step or two.

groze, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

I decided that I want to remove Ubuntu and GRUB completely. I'm just a bit nervous when it comes to the MBR.

9. groze Win User
    That will be a lot easier to do. Here is updated instruction how to recover the Ubuntu Partitions for windows use.

Create the Windows 7 repair disk.
    After done re-boot computer (Leave the Windows 7 repair disk in)
    When you see the prompt to hit key.
    Wait (This could take up to 10 minutes to load)
    Choose your keyboard layout. Hit next, the next again if you get a pop up saying your need to repair something, just cancel it.
    Choose the command prompt

Then type
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

If it works, type exit and reboot. If it doesn't work. You will need to select the other option choose start-up repair (Reboot to cd and do that 2 more times) Then boot up that disk once more and try this again in the command prompt.

bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

reboot (Don't press the key this time, so it won't it boot to the cd) It should boot you directly to windows 7. Remove Windows 7 repair cd.

Now go to windows disk manager. Delete the Ubuntu partition and the swap partition, be careful not to delete the windows 7 system reserve partition. Expanded windows 7 partition or create additional partitions from the recovered space.

Reboot Windows 7 one more time
    upgrade to windows 10

groze, Jul 30, 2015
  10. So I should repair the MBR before I remove the Ubuntu partitions? Most sites say to delete the partitions first.

11. groze Win User
    I am trying to remember, it been a long time since I actually removed a Linux partition. I don't think it really matters either way. What I see matters make sure you are booted into windows 7. Otherwise, the repair cd won't see the windows 7 installation.

groze, Jul 30, 2015
  12. I'm going to try it now. Wish me luck...

13. Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

Okay, I successfully repaired the MBR, now I just need to remove the linux partition. Honestly I was worried about nothing... it worked like a charm.

computersarecoo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

1. Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up? - Similar Threads - upgrading dual boot

2. Just stop messing things up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just stop messing things up: If I wanted an Apple computer I would have bought an Apple computer. Why does Microsoft keep trying to copy everything Apple does? I do not want the start button in the middle of the task bar, so I moved it. I do not want to use to appreciation "app" it is not a word, stop...
  3. Just stop messing things up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just stop messing things up: If I wanted an Apple computer I would have bought an Apple computer. Why does Microsoft keep trying to copy everything Apple does? I do not want the start button in the middle of the task bar, so I moved it. I do not want to use to appreciation "app" it is not a word, stop...
  4. dual boot mess up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    dual boot mess up: I installed pop os from a video that worked in the past to upgrade to a new version of pop os, now the boot menu when I hit f12 won't see windows 10 install on my separate drive. It just says intel where windows boot manager should be. I troubleshooted with the windows boot...
  5. Dual Monitor Mess Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Mess Up: Hi. I was trying to set up a second monitor for my laptop to run simultaneously. When hooked up in the display settings, I clicked something for set to second monitor or something. Now when I have a second monitor connected both screens are blank and I cant access the...
  6. Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up: I am trying to dual boot OSX and Windows 10 on my desktop computer. OSX is fully installed, and I have created Windows 10 install media on a flash drive. I am able to boot into the installer, but when I tell the installer to install in the unallocated space ~250gb, it...
  7. I messed up a clean boot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I messed up a clean boot: Something was wrong with my computer so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and accidentally disabled all programs and restarted the computer so now my computer wont let me login. It keeps saying my passwords incorrect and there is no internet connection. I did...
  8. Windows Defender messing things up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender messing things up.: For a while now, my windows defender has been acting over aggressively for a bunch of files and is preventing me from downloading certain files and changing certain settings. It also won't let me save in many different video games, and the only thing that is allowing me to...
  9. upgrading and dual booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading and dual booting: Hi everyone. My name is . I have Windows 7 X64 and I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. The question is (I get a free upgrade to Windows 10) can I dual boot windows 10 and Windows 7? Where is the consumer preview? Usually you can sample the operating system before...
  10. Update to build 9860 messes up dual-boot setup

in Windows 10 News
    Update to build 9860 messes up dual-boot setup: Perhaps this was already discussed in other threads, but I decided to post that as a general warning: if you are using Win10 in a dual boot configuration on a separate drive, make sure you physically unplug all other hard drives before updating to a new build. Failure to do...