Windows 10: Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly

Discus and support Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; If I just formatted the drive to GUID, it has no partitions just unallocated space. Would hitting f12 when the windows logo pops up and booting from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/izzo444, May 26, 2020.

1. Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly

If I just formatted the drive to GUID, it has no partitions just unallocated space. Would hitting f12 when the windows logo pops up and booting from USB write windows 10 onto the hard drive

submitted by /u/izzo444
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/izzo444, May 26, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, May 26, 2020
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, May 26, 2020
  4. John Vil Win User

Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly

USB Hard Drives break boot

Hello Eric,

One possible reason why this issue occurs is when your BIOS boot sequence is set to boot from USB instead of hard drive. We suggest that you get in touch with your computer manufacturer for assistance on how to reconfigure your BIOS settings.

Thank you.

John Vil, May 26, 2020
Thema:

Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly

1. Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly - Similar Threads - using blank hard

2. Boot Windows 10 from USB Hard Drive that used to be the internal OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Windows 10 from USB Hard Drive that used to be the internal OS: I upgraded my HDD to an SSD and starting fresh on the SSD and reinstalling everything. How can I boot into Windows 10 on the old HDD that is now in an external USB enclosure? I am trying to review some of the settings on the old setup so I can match on the new install. Thank...
  3. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  4. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  5. Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working: I have a Dell E6420 laptop which was running Windows 7 Pro and in-place upgraded it to Windows 10 Enterprise. Before upgrading I removed bitlocker and re-enabled it after the upgrade. I backed up the recovery key to a USB thumb drive. Now, when I try to boot the machine with...
  6. Cannot use USB External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot use USB External Hard Drive: I am using Windows 10 Pro Build 19013.vb_release.191025-1609. Now I cannot use external hard drives. When plugging external hard drive I can hear the sound of something is connected. But, the drive never displayed in This PC. Checking Disk Management, the disk is not even...
  7. Boot from usb hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from usb hard drive?: I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive? 133574
  8. Booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  9. Booting from USB drive questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booting from USB drive questions: OK I have been trying for the last 2 days to boot from a usb drive on my computer, read some of the tutorials on how to do this method. Nothing seems to work so far. Been trying the recovery method, then choosing Advance setup. That works to the point of showing my choices,...
  10. Recover personal files from hard drive using USB enclosure.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recover personal files from hard drive using USB enclosure.: My friend has been using AutoCAD on fairly new Windows 10 install. No problems till today when he got an error stating he needed to reinstall the OS. I didn't see the error before he shut down. To be safe he pulled his hard drive and asked me to backup his personal files...