Windows 10: Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer

Discus and support Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; USB 3.1 gen 1 maxes out at around 600MB/s. The fastest "thumb drive" I see on UserBenchmark.com is about 370MB/s. So for any "thumb drive" sized device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by slicendice, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer

Exactly!

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  2. provlima Win User

Can a laptop with usb3 ports utilize a usb3 generation 2 thumb drive.
    If so will the file transfer rate be done in half the time?

:)

provlima, Apr 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Dropped My USB3 Capability

After my upgrade from Win7Pro to Win10Pro and with NO other changes other than the upgrade itself, I lost USB3 capability.

What appears to be obvious at this point is that there is a conflict between Win10 and my USB3 drivers that I cannot resolve.

I tried deleting the drivers and letting Windows look for new ones, but the same drivers are installed.

My host controller is the "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)", and "USB Mass Storage Device" IS reported to be present in Device Manager.

However, either the USB3 device (thumb drive) isn't recognized, or, it will sometimes work but obviously at standard USB speeds.

I do a lot of backup transfers to USB3 thumb drives and this is a major issue considering the sizes of some of the files I am transferring.

My system is an AMD processor on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard running the 64bit Windows10.

Treelander, Apr 11, 2018
  4. Tesla3D Win User

Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer

Tesla3D, Apr 11, 2018
  5. Yes. USB 3.1 gen 2 is backwards compatible with USB 3.1 gen 1, which is the same as USB 3.0.

However, USB is only the interface. The actual file transfer speed will almost always be limited by the speed of the storage medium (e.g. flash or hard drive). You can get cheap USB3 flash drives that are slower than USB2 drives.

You have to get into the high-end USB SSDs (like the SanDisk 900) before you see a difference between gen 1 and gen 2 transfer speeds.

PolarNettles, Apr 11, 2018
  6. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your reply...Do USB 3 gen2 thumb drives exist?
    Amazon only lists one

Would such a thumb drive theoretically double the transfer speed of files from a 3.1 gen 1??

provlima, Apr 11, 2018
  7. You can get up to the theoretical bandwidth limit of USB3.0 if your storage media controller and your USB controller driver supports UASP.

I get full read an write speeds of my Samsung SSD stuck in an USB enclosure with UASP support. Read speeds are about 500MB/s and write about 400MB/s which is the same as used in a SATA3 port. *Smile

For thumb drives, you won't see much of difference unless it's using NVMe technology internally or you use a device that has several SSDs put in RAID. But then again that is not a thumb-drive anymore. *Wink

slicendice, Apr 11, 2018
  8. Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer

USB 3.1 gen 1 maxes out at around 600MB/s. The fastest "thumb drive" I see on UserBenchmark.com is about 370MB/s. So for any "thumb drive" sized device you will most likely not see any improvement going from gen 1 to gen 2.

PolarNettles, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer

1. Will using a usb3 gen2 thumb drive on a pc result in quicker transfer - Similar Threads - using usb3 gen2

2. Pc shutting down quicker than it used to

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc shutting down quicker than it used to: Hey all,This might sound a bit strange to some of you but i want to ask just to be in the safe end here.As of late my pc started to shut down quicker that it was used to.Restart seems unaffected.So after hitting the "shut down" button the pc sometimes almost instantly shuts...
  3. Pc shutting down quicker than it used to

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc shutting down quicker than it used to: Hey all,This might sound a bit strange to some of you but i want to ask just to be in the safe end here.As of late my pc started to shut down quicker that it was used to.Restart seems unaffected.So after hitting the "shut down" button the pc sometimes almost instantly shuts...
  4. Pc shutting down quicker than it used to

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring sent video file to external thumb drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring sent video file to external thumb drive: A friend sent a video as an attachment to an email. He cautioned that the video is a huge file and recommended I transfer it to a thumb drive before viewing. I have my Scandisk flash drive inserted in the PC USB Port. But I can't find instruction on how to transfer the data...
  6. Thumb Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  7. Speed up USB3 File Transfer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Speed up USB3 File Transfer: I was copying some large Hyper-V vhds to an external ssd from an internal ssd via usb3, and I was getting a sedate 130 MBS even through the ssds can handle close to 500 MB/S and USB3 can handle up to 480 MB/s. Of course, we all know that in the real world, you are lucky if...
  8. On a Windows 10 computer, how to transfer pictures to a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On a Windows 10 computer, how to transfer pictures to a thumb drive: I have a new thumb drive that I want to transfer pictures to. I have Windows 10 on my computer. How do I format a new thumb drive and then transfer pictures to it? In the options at the bottom of this request, I am not able to change the Windows "Vista" option. I DO NOT...
  9. slow transfer using USB3

slow transfer using USB3: Hi as the title says I cant seem to get what used to be hi speed data transfers on my 2 win 10 devices, a custom build PC and a surface pro 3. Prior to the update I would see a transfer speed of at least 100-148mb now I'm lucky to see 60mb. Hopefully someone has an idea as...
  10. thumb drives

thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165