Windows 10: Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive?

Discus and support Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 says i am low on space and suggests using Storage Spaces. I have an external hard drive with lots of space that I was going to use, rather... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cgm707, Sep 10, 2019.

1. cgm707 Win User

Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive?

Windows 10 says i am low on space and suggests using Storage Spaces. I have an external hard drive with lots of space that I was going to use, rather than buy another drive. Will moving data to save space from my PC to the drive work if there is already data on the external, and, will it wipe out the existing data if I can move additional data to the external?

:)

cgm707, Sep 10, 2019

2. External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Why all storage space of pen drive and external hard drive not available for storage

What exactly makes you think that external storage media cannot be used for data storage?

Frederik Long, Sep 10, 2019
  4. Sam___ Win User

Storage Spaces with External Drives

The meta data about the pool is stored on all the drives that make up the pool. When you connect the disks to another computer the pool will be recreated. You can actually test this functionality with a single disk and setting up a 'simple' storage space
    using any external HDD.

-Sam

Sam___, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive? - Similar Threads - using Storage Spaces

2. One Drive Storage Space used Suddenly increasing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Storage Space used Suddenly increasing?: I went to bed last night with my One Drive storage space 80% used. I turn on my computer this afternoon and somehow my storage space being used has leapt to 92%! I've been deleting photos, and old files, but the amount of storage spaced being used isn't going down! I'm at my...
  3. Out of data Storage Space on Minecraft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Out of data Storage Space on Minecraft: When loading into one of my worlds, i can play for about 10 seconds and then I am kicked out and a screen appears, saying "you are out of data storage space and mine craft is unable to save your progress!". However, my hard drive still has over 850 GB of space on it. The...
  4. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating storage spaces using 2 drives: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...
  5. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  6. Entire Data Drive Wiped after doing the "Windows storage freeup" program

Entire Data Drive Wiped after doing the "Windows storage freeup" program: What are my options? Windows detected my entire Data drive. What are my options? I have not saved anything so I know my data is still there. The "file history" option was not turned on so it is not an option. I have a system restore point -- that was 3 days ago, but it...
  7. Drive storage out of space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive storage out of space: On updating Windows 10, drive C is out of space. How i can dissolve this matter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-storage-out-of-space/929f282e-daf5-4d64-ad32-205e95480f2a
  8. No drives that work with Storage spaces...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No drives that work with Storage spaces...: I was trying to create using USB drives and despite trying different types of drives I kept getting the error above that no drives that work with storage spaces available... However when I google creating storage spaces it says that usb drives work.... How can this be fixed?...
  9. Drive characteristics for Storage Spaces

Drive characteristics for Storage Spaces: Going through Hell with Win10. Installed my dual 2TB drives, formatted them, and tried to create a mirrored Storage Space. System claimed "No drives that work with Storage Spaces are available." So I used the mirrored RAID system instead. But every folder I create is...
  10. Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?: I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS. When I go to create the pool the 4 3TB drives show up but the unallocated space on the 4TB with my OS doesn't show up. I have done some research and heard...