Windows 10: Will Win8.1 Pro activation code work on Win10 Pro clean install?

Discus and support Will Win8.1 Pro activation code work on Win10 Pro clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Like the title says, will it be possible? If yes, it makes sense. If no, how users who upgrade from 8.1 supposed to clean install Win10 down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mahanddeem, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Will Win8.1 Pro activation code work on Win10 Pro clean install?

Hello,
    Like the title says, will it be possible?
    If yes, it makes sense.
    If no, how users who upgrade from 8.1 supposed to clean install Win10 down the line in the future?

Will we (win 8.1, 8 and 7 owners) be given new activation codes?

Thanks

:)

mahanddeem, Jul 19, 2015
  2. AhsanKZ Win User

Windows product key uninstalled unintentionally

I upgrade my OS from win8.1 pro to win10 pro, and it was activated and working fine, but today i uninstalled my product key from win10 unintentionally. now I am trying to activate my win10 from the same key from which i activated my win8.1 but it is not
    accepting the key. how can i restore my activation. please help.

i cannot go back to win8.1 as i have deleted the windows.old folder. Is there any possibility to restore the key or activate it via my microsoft account

AhsanKZ, Jul 19, 2015
  3. windows 10 failed activation error

I did a clean upgrade from win8.1 to win10

on Lenovo yoga pro 2

win10 keeps asking me to activate

when I try it, gives a message saying failed, try later.

PrasadPadiyar, Jul 19, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Will Win8.1 Pro activation code work on Win10 Pro clean install?

No.. you can't use a WIn8.1 key to activate a copy of WIn10. And MS has not really said how the ISO will be distributed. I think and so do some others that when we do get access to it we will have a new key for WIn10.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    From what I've read on this forum and others along with E-Mail I've received the free Win10 Upgrade will be offered only for Win7 w/SP1 and Win8.1, not for Win8.0 or Win7 with no SP.

Berton, Jul 19, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    The 7 or 8.1 key will be used to qualify the upgrade though, right, either embedded or entered via keyboard.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  7. If I allow the upgrade from a genuine Win7 activated with a product key that I own to Win10, am I provided with a genuine product key for Win10? I ask this as there will be a time in the future when I'll have to reformat & reinstall Win10.

Coconutdog, Jul 20, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

No, that's not true. Only Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 S14 will *automatically* be upgraded via Windows Update. Windows 7 RTM, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 (pre-S14) will have to use an ISO to upgrade, but the free upgrade is still valid.

No, it doesn't look like they will be giving out new keys, although you should be able to get your key by using a key discovery application. Still, that's generally not necessary as Windows will know that you have already upgraded and have a valid license. The clean re-install will simply not ask for a key and automatically activate. Don't ask how it knows, it may have something to do with what's called the "extended PID", but we don't know. Regardless, Windows will know that you have already upgraded and automatically activate.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Win8.1 Pro activation code work on Win10 Pro clean install? - Similar Threads - Win8 Pro activation

2. Win10 Pro Key Code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Pro Key Code: I need to purchase a windows 10 pro key code for my PC, but I see that Micrrosoft stopped selling them on their website earlier this year, and I don't seem to be able to find a safe enough source to buy it from. Is there any recommendations on this matter?Also it's kind of...
  3. Win10 Pro Key Code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Pro Key Code: I need to purchase a windows 10 pro key code for my PC, but I see that Micrrosoft stopped selling them on their website earlier this year, and I don't seem to be able to find a safe enough source to buy it from. Is there any recommendations on this matter?Also it's kind of...
  4. Win10 Pro Key Code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clean Windows 11 Pro install will not activate. Had Windows 10 Pro installed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Windows 11 Pro install will not activate. Had Windows 10 Pro installed.: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on my computer. upgraded from a physical Windows 8.1 copyI did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro.Now my Windows 11 Pro will not activate despite being logged in with my Microsoft Account.I figured that I had to remove my previous device...
  6. Win10 Pro Installed but not activated.

Win10 Pro Installed but not activated.: I just built a new PC with my dad. I installed windows using the USB. I entered the product key and it installed windows. But when I was going to change some personalization windows was not activated but I have windows 10 Pro. So how is this possible. Today I just got a...
  7. Win10 Pro Activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Pro Activation: I purchased a computer with Win10 Home, then purchased Win10 Pro from the Microsoft Store, It failed on the install for some reason, I then put my Win10 key back in. After an windows update, it somehow upgraded to Win10 Pro but is not activated. I cannot find my...
  8. Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?: Hey, as the title says, I have a valid Win 7 pro license running on my old PC. Can I in any way transfer this to install Win 10 Pro on my new device? Thanks! submitted by /u/0x07C3 [link] [comments]...
  9. Unable to activate win10 Pro recently installed

Unable to activate win10 Pro recently installed: Hi, I recently installed Win10 Pro on a new SSD for my old Desktop that was running Win7. I'm asked to activate but nothing works. I entered the activation key provided, tried the troubleshoot with no effect ending with error code : 0xC004C060. I see my desktop in my...
  10. Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade?

Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade?: Gday all Trying to get my situation sorted. I have just upgraded my Win 8 Pro Retail version. Everything has gone smooth touch wood. Being a retail license, I can use this copy on one machine at any time. ie I build a new machine I still can use as long as my...