Windows 10: Will Windows 10 automatically reactivate after an SO reinstallation in a laptop?

Discus and support Will Windows 10 automatically reactivate after an SO reinstallation in a laptop? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; If I'm correct in laptops the product key is kind of the hardware itself, so if I completely reinstall windows 10 will it automatically reactivate?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Eduardo Proa, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Will Windows 10 automatically reactivate after an SO reinstallation in a laptop?

If I'm correct in laptops the product key is kind of the hardware itself, so if I completely reinstall windows 10 will it automatically reactivate?

otherwise, what process do I have to follow to reactivate windows 10 in a laptop after a system reinstall?

:)

Eduardo Proa, Aug 16, 2020

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Aug 16, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Andrew Li Win User

Will Windows 10 automatically reactivate after an SO reinstallation in a laptop?

How to reinstall and reactivate Windows 10 with an OEM license

Before you continue, I suggest you remove the bloatware by the Control Panel and uninstalling the junk. That is faster and easier, with less potential for problems, but the steps for reinstallation are as follows:

Before you do anything, backup valuable data, if any, on some form of media (i.e. USB) so you can move it onto the reinstalled Windows.

1. Download the appropriate ISO file from Microsoft and burn it to a CD or use it with a bootable USB.
    2. (Optional if you have no internet) Download all the appropriate drivers for your machine and save them on media for later access.
    3. Locate the product key on your machine. It is usually under the laptop on a sticker, and if not, use special software to locate it. This will be used during the reinstallation. Note that PCs sometimes auto-activate if it is in the BIOS so this step is not needed if this is case.
    4. Boot from the bootable media (disc or USB). Continue as usual through the installation, and when the partitions screen comes up, format the current Windows partition and install in there. (The Recovery partition can be deleted, but I recommend keeping it so if anything goes wrong you can restore to factory settings). If the key doesn't work you may need to contact Microsoft and activate over phone.
    5. After installation, install the drivers and run Windows Update and you're done.

Andrew Li, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

Will Windows 10 automatically reactivate after an SO reinstallation in a laptop?

1. Will Windows 10 automatically reactivate after an SO reinstallation in a laptop? - Similar Threads - automatically reactivate reinstallation

2. Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall: On June 4th, I Purchased a digital license from Microsoft Store for Windows 11 Pro.On Tuesday, my disk failed but I didn't know what was the issue until I reinstalled.Today, I got a new disk but had to reinstall Windows yet again.My license won't activate, says there is no...
  3. Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall: On June 4th, I Purchased a digital license from Microsoft Store for Windows 11 Pro.On Tuesday, my disk failed but I didn't know what was the issue until I reinstalled.Today, I got a new disk but had to reinstall Windows yet again.My license won't activate, says there is no...
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Laptop after a recovery image reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Laptop after a recovery image reinstall: Hello,At work, I have a Surface Laptop 3 15" Ryzen 5 that was having some trouble with printing, network drives, general UI, etc. We tried a heap of troubleshooting however the user ended up needing another device on short notice as a workaround.I then went to reset the...
  5. Windows 10 reactivation after reinstalling

Windows 10 reactivation after reinstalling: I was having some problems with my pc so I did a fresh start of it so reinstalling it and after I did that It said I needed to activate windows. Whenever I enter the product key, It give me the error code 0xc0000022, and on the activation tab in settings it gives me the...
  6. how to reactivate windows 10 after reinstall

how to reactivate windows 10 after reinstall: Hello, I recently ran into a problem with my PC, which made me unable to access it entirely. It forced my to have to Factory Reset my PC. After the reset, I had to reinstall windows using a USB I had laying around. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro as I was pretty sure this is what...
  7. Reactivate Windows after reinstall - no hardware change

Reactivate Windows after reinstall - no hardware change: I broke my Windows installation. I initially had 10 Home, installed from an official installation USB. At some point, I purchased a Pro licence from the store. Now after I broke my installation, I reinstalled using the same USB stick, which allows me to chose between Home...
  8. reactivating windows after reinstallation

reactivating windows after reinstallation: I cannot activate windows with the same product key I previously activate it after reinstallation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reactivating-windows-after-reinstallation/c3776701-9a4a-4fe2-9628-84c4d5594d47"
  9. Reactivate my Windows after reinstallation

Reactivate my Windows after reinstallation: Hi! I just reinstalled my Windows and now I can't reuse the license key, I get the error 0x80041023. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reactivate-my-windows-after-reinstallation/49d38a32-2cab-4e5c-b852-88e35c2b4e8f"
  10. Trouble reactivating licenses after reinstallation of Windows 10

Trouble reactivating licenses after reinstallation of Windows 10: Hi Everyone I will try to keep this brief, but it is a little complex... My company bought 300 Windows 10 licenses for products we were providing to our client. We were able to activate all the licenses in our assembly line (in China), although we had to use the Microsoft...