Windows 10: Will Windows 10 keep a record of my computer's serial number?

Discus and support Will Windows 10 keep a record of my computer's serial number? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Dear all, I was unlucky enough to have my laptop stolen this week. The police may have located it, but need the serial number of the laptop before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by OscarW666, Jul 12, 2019.

1. OscarW666 Win User

Will Windows 10 keep a record of my computer's serial number?

Dear all,

I was unlucky enough to have my laptop stolen this week.

The police may have located it, but need the serial number of the laptop before they proceed.

Stupidly, I didn't record my computer's serial number.

Is there any chance Windows 10 would have stored this information somewhere?

Very grateful for any help or advice.

Best wishes

Oscar

:)

OscarW666, Jul 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 serial on OEM

So I'll summarize steps made...

1. Saved serial number (taken with Belarc Advisory) from preinstalled (half chinese language) Windows 8.1 (don't know exactly the version, suspect Windows 8.1 with bing) on tablet
    2. Formatted tablet
    3. Tried to make a clean Windows 10 (HOME, HOME N and also PRO, everytime with the same result) install with ISO taken with MediaCreationTool, during install (and also after completing installation) it says that the saved serial is not valid
    4. Tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 (ISO taken with MediaCreationTool again) HOME, it says that the serial is not valid

So i suspect that the saved serial, is from a WINDOWS 8.1 WITH BING OEM version and this kind of ISO is not accessible/downloadable anywhere (at least I can't find it, any suggestion?)

Still not tried SHOWKEY with that serial, I am in office now, and the serial is saved on a usb pen at home, will try this evening.

So I'm stucked but if everything is like I suspect, it's incredible. If I have a tablet/notebook/netbook with Windows 8 preinstalled, it seems that I can update to Windows 10 without problems, but if I want to make a clean Windows 10 install that serial is not valid...

CapitanCatarro, Jul 12, 2019
  3. tamara_sadel, Jul 12, 2019
  4. Will Windows 10 keep a record of my computer's serial number?

After installation, hard drives display same serial number

Microsoft thinks 2 hard drives on same computer are same hard drive.- Original Title

I have 4 hard drives in my computer with 1 OS loaded on each one.

Two Hard Drives have Windows 10 on them.

One Hard drive is Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10.

One Hard drive is Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10.

But on my Microsoft Account it says:

For Windows 7 Upgrade:

• DESKTOP-5NKAE33
    • MacPro4,1
      • Serial #: H09292S84PD
      • Windows 10 Professional (10.0.10586.420)
    For Windows 8 Upgrade:

• MacPro
    • MacPro4,1
      • Serial #: H09292S84PD
      • Windows 10 Professional (10.0.10586.420)

Do you see they have the SAME SERIAL NUMBER? How is this even remotely possible?

RichardGilbertson, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

Will Windows 10 keep a record of my computer's serial number?

1. Will Windows 10 keep a record of my computer's serial number? - Similar Threads - keep record computer's

2. Track my computer by using serial number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Track my computer by using serial number: Track my computer by using serial number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/track-my-computer-by-using-serial-number/fedf2d20-ff2d-4a58-93bd-e3f2e58e1c1e
  3. Track my computer by using serial number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Track my computer by using serial number: Track my computer by using serial number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/track-my-computer-by-using-serial-number/fedf2d20-ff2d-4a58-93bd-e3f2e58e1c1e
  4. Track my computer by using serial number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows serial number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows serial number: Hi, last week i bought a new laptop with DOS so i installed Windows 11 and then i I bought actiavion key online. I activeted windows, everything went good but laptop started to get BSOD atleast once evry 30-60 minutes so i sended it back to the store and apperently it was...
  6. Windows serial number

Windows serial number: Hi, last week i bought a new laptop with DOS so i installed Windows 11 and then i I bought actiavion key online. I activeted windows, everything went good but laptop started to get BSOD atleast once evry 30-60 minutes so i sended it back to the store and apperently it was...
  7. serial number?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    serial number?: My laptop has burned and I can't access it. How can I get my serial number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number/7195148e-b721-4d0d-8153-ae3cd7d7a609
  8. serial number?

serial number?: My laptop has burned and I can't access it. How can I get my serial number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number/7195148e-b721-4d0d-8153-ae3cd7d7a609
  9. Computer Serial Number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer Serial Number: Is it safe to put my computer serial number into the Microsoft help app or the HP support. I don't want anybody to get onto my computer. I already put my serial number into the HP support site that came with my computer....
  10. Windows 10 Serial Number

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Serial Number: Just bought an SSD, planning on reinstalling Win10 on it. I can't use CMD, so... Is the "Product ID" the same as the Serial number/Product key? Edit: Solved, thanks to everyone...