Windows 10: Will Windows 10 wake a computer automatically if it is in Sleep or Hibernation mode to...

Discus and support Will Windows 10 wake a computer automatically if it is in Sleep or Hibernation mode to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The goal is to have all of my computers either in Sleep or Hibernation mode after hours but have them wake up to install Windows Updates when they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by prioremi, Nov 9, 2018.

1. prioremi Win User

Will Windows 10 wake a computer automatically if it is in Sleep or Hibernation mode to...

The goal is to have all of my computers either in Sleep or Hibernation mode after hours but have them wake up to install Windows Updates when they are available.

If I have the computers Shut Down at the end of the day, the end user can get stuck with Windows Updates immediately after turning the computer on. The current solution is to leave the computers on 24/7 but this is not ideal long term.

If I have my computers go into Sleep or Hibernation will they automatically wake up throughout the night to install updates? I'm okay if they don't go back to Sleep/Hibernation; the important thing is that they can still start the update when in that state. Thanks!

:)

prioremi, Nov 9, 2018

2. Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're disagreeing on. I can't say what was on the mind of whoever designed the technique in the past, but today it is a tool available to any supporting platform where the users need it. Hybrid sleep is functionally a suspension to disk without clearing the ram, at its core it is a hibernation. Arguing which method is for which platform is -with all due respect- a waste of time. I would agree to the argument that Hybrid sleep is more versatile than simple hibernation, though, but that doesn't make hibernation a non valid method of suspension on desktops. And if someone intended for long down-times or expected power loss, the differences between hibernation and hybrid sleep become inexistent.

For the frequent blackouts part, we have to consider the scope of the issue here: whoever opts to use any suspension method, hibernation, sleep or hybrid sleep, does so explicitly to avoid shutting down the computer (for whichever reason they wanted). Anecdotal example: I'm off to work in the morning, but I do not want to close all the software and web pages I have open (and they can be many) and restart them later, so I have the choice of either sleep or hibernate (or hybrid methods), but with any S state less than 4, I run the risk of a blackout forcing me to what I avoided shutting down for, so I elect to use hibernation (or hybrid sleep, of which the hibernation part is what's needed).

A UPS is indeed a must have, but alas, not all of us live in the first world!

VRAM isn't wiped post-wake up, per se. The only way to wipe the entire memory is relieving if of power. Hibernation does have that effect in the suspension process (going into hibernation), upon waking up it repopulates the memory with what was occupying it before turning off (though I don't know if it was actually this simple).
    What was I referring to in my previous post is Windows' memory manager's functionality. When a process is closed (eg: Alt+F4ed the main window, killed in task manager, etc), all its memory heap is then freed up for other processes to use. So, any memory that is used when a computer wakes is for actually running processes, waking up won't reserve memory for anything else (other than hardware, I guess?)

Computers can be weird. I once had a recurring issue with Microsoft's Security Essential where it starts eating up all my ram after waking up from sleep. And I'm talking about 20GB of physical memory! Still don't know what caused that bug though. Couldn't reproduce it in later Windows installations on the same hardware either.
    And don't get me even started on those cheap Chinese hardware!

Shihabyooo, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

Bad question. Not specific enough.

Hibernate is for notebooks, not PCs. And it is important to note the OS used too. Windows 10 with DDR4 is designed take special advantage of the hybrid sleep mode. Previous versions of Windows and DDR3 don't provide the same capability.

Hybrid sleep is primarily for desktop PCs and this is what I use and recommend. With DDR4 and W10 your RAM goes into a low-voltage state and maintains much of what was in memory during the hybrid sleep period. This allows the computer to wake that much faster. Having an SSD helps too.

I never "shutdown" my computers, except to tear them down to lug outside for cleaning, or other maintenance. I never reboot, except when some update requires it.

My normal routine is to use my computers several hours every morning, then I let them go into hybrid sleep until the next morning (or whenever I need to get back on).

I have them set to turn off my displays after 10 minutes, then put the computer to sleep after 15.

For the record, I am the bottleneck when waking the computer. When I wiggle the mouse or press a key, the computer wakes immediately, as do my monitors. Then they sit and wait for me to enter my password.

Bill_Bright, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Knoxx29 Win User

Will Windows 10 wake a computer automatically if it is in Sleep or Hibernation mode to...

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I took in consideration your advice about Hybrid mode.

To make it works is it just enough to activate it or do i need to do some others settings?

Will Windows 10 wake a computer automatically if it is in Sleep or Hibernation mode to... hybrid-mode-jpg.jpg

Knoxx29, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Windows 10 wake a computer automatically if it is in Sleep or Hibernation mode to... - Similar Threads - wake computer automatically

2. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  3. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  4. Windows 10 automatically wakes from the sleep mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 automatically wakes from the sleep mode: Whenever I put my pc in sleep mode, it suddenly wakes up. I have no idea why this problem happens very often. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-automatically-wakes-from-the-sleep-mode/99f27195-7c1b-4b77-b6ff-f72803b42900
  5. My sleep mode wakes up automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My sleep mode wakes up automatically: How do you keep the computer in sleep mode until you want to wake it up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-sleep-mode-wakes-up-automatically/ac9fe4b8-cd01-49d3-8b2e-7df756b45e4c
  6. Computer crasches when waking up from Sleep Mode or Hibernation.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer crasches when waking up from Sleep Mode or Hibernation.: Hi all, I am completely new to the forum, so hopefully this post is in the correct section. After the installation of a new graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 Super) my PC is crashing every single time it resumes from either sleep or hibernation. (Running Windows10 1903...
  7. Windows 10 will wake itself from Hibernate or Sleep mode

Windows 10 will wake itself from Hibernate or Sleep mode: I have a laptop and desktop computer running windows 10. Both devices I like to keep in Hibernate or Sleep mode so I can quickly return to where I left my PC. I will put them in sleep/hibernate mode and leave my computer to go to work or go to bed. I'll come home some...
  8. Computer reboots instead of waking up from Sleep/Hibernate mode

Computer reboots instead of waking up from Sleep/Hibernate mode: When I put my notebook (ASUS N750JK) to sleep at the end of the day, the next morning it reboots instead of waking up. Every time it happens, the Event Log shows a Critical Event (KernelPower, Event ID 41, I have a log file). It has been happening consistently for the past...
  9. Computer won't wake from hibernation mode

Computer won't wake from hibernation mode: I have a HP spectre computer, and it doesn't wake up from hibernation. I have tried ti use the windows button + x, but nothing happens! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-wont-wake-from-hibernation-mode/407dbe9f-b137-493f-80f7-7808dad92efd
  10. Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation: Hello, My computer keeps waking when I put it to sleep and I can't determine the cause. How do I find out the reason it woke up, and how do I force it to ignore this event in future? I have a feeling it's one of my peripherals, but I can't be sure. Thank you! 45576