Windows 10: Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install?

Discus and support Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop which came with an OEM version of Windows 7 installed. the laptop BIOS is in Legacy mode and HDD is type MBR. I have clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BillB_Astro, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install?

I have a Dell laptop which came with an OEM version of Windows 7 installed. the laptop BIOS is in Legacy mode and HDD is type MBR. I have clean installed a trial version of Windows 10 on a separate HDDalso type MBR doing so by swapping out the Win 7 HDD using the same laptop. The question is, after Windows 10 PRO activation will I then be able to swap out the Windows 10 HDD, replace it with the Windows 7 HDD in same laptop and be able to boot into Windows 7 with no product key issues. I am concerned that the OEM Windows 7 BIOS key data may get over written by Windows 10 activation. Note that each HDD never knows the existence of the other and the laptop BIOS always remained in the Legacy mode. Any information would be helpful.

:)

BillB_Astro, Dec 26, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization, Tips and Tricks for your Windows PC

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install?

Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install?

1. Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install? - Similar Threads - still boot clean

2. clean install windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clean install windows 7: my name is DavidMy computer crashed and Microsoft informed me it was fake now there are some MS pages that won't load, and I don't have MS store and I've tried it all and something keeps happening to keep me from fixing the rest of windows 7 pro it took me 3 days and a boot...
  3. clean install windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clean install windows 7: my name is DavidMy computer crashed and Microsoft informed me it was fake now there are some MS pages that won't load, and I don't have MS store and I've tried it all and something keeps happening to keep me from fixing the rest of windows 7 pro it took me 3 days and a boot...
  4. Windows 10 still freezing even after clean installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 still freezing even after clean installation: I have a Asus Vivobook X510UF laptop. I have below configurations - Windos 10 Home Single Language Version 1909, OS Build 18363.836 Core i5 8th Generation @1.6GHz 12 GB RAM 16 GB Optane Module 1 TB HDD The laptop was working fine, smooth, and fast until last month. It...
  5. Windows 10 won't boot after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after clean install: Just build a new PC, not my first rodeo. I put everything together without any problems, plugged it in. Verified everything was registering in BIOS, no problems. Inserted Windows 10 Home install USB and booted into the installer. Went into installer and entered Key code. Went...
  6. Windows 10 Computer will not Boot after clean install

Windows 10 Computer will not Boot after clean install: Yesterday my PC crashed and when restarted came up with an error screen and would not boot windows. I tried using the troubleshooting repair menu provided and nothing would work. I created a bootable usb from my other windows 10 pc with the windows application and deleted all...
  7. Issues NOT booting after a clean Windows 10 install

Issues NOT booting after a clean Windows 10 install: Hi, My system lost it's functionality, hanging in different applications etc. So I decided to 'reset' this failed twice, once with keep files and once with remove everything. As I could still use the system I downloaded the MCT and created on a USB, so far no issues. Boot...
  8. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  9. Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot: OK, I have Windows 7 OEM Version and want to upgrade to Windows 10 After I get Windows 10 Activated through the upgrade can I... Clean install Windows 7 (with Original 7 key) and clean install Windows 10 (should automatically activate) to have a dual boot? Or is Microsoft...
  10. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.: Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key... 1. Created a 200GB partition for 10. 2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version). 3. Installed 10 into said 200GB...