Windows 10: Will Windows run slowly if in a VM?

Discus and support Will Windows run slowly if in a VM? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hey, so I was thinking about switching my main OS to Ubuntu so I could get my foot in the door with linux and start experimenting around with it a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Zero03, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Zero03 Win User

Will Windows run slowly if in a VM?

Hey, so I was thinking about switching my main OS to Ubuntu so I could get my foot in the door with linux and start experimenting around with it a bunch. However, I know if I do that a lot of games will be unavailable to me because they require Windows. That being said, I was thinking about making a Windows VM on the Ubuntu OS and using that to play games on it. I have a few questions about this.
    Will I be able to play games like Siege with the same FPS as right now? If not, is there a way to go about getting more FPS in those games? Is so, is there a tutorial for it (because I don't know anything advanced and if there isn't a tutorial I don't think I'll be able to do it)
    Will the Windows VM boot slowly (on same SSD as main host Ubuntu)?
    Is there anything I won't be able to do on a Windows VM that I would be able to do if my main OS was windows?

(For some reason it's asking me to make sure I've included my windows version, even though it's irrelevant to the question, I'll include it) : Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Thanks in advance for any info! Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot or anything, but I think I posted it in the right spot.

P.S My PC info is as follows (ignore weird font):
    : - /
    : +
    : - ()
    : - @ .
    :
    :
    : @ ( )
    : . ( -)
    : (-)
    :
    : ( + )
    :
    :
    : @
    : @

:)

Zero03, Mar 9, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

@Zero03

There's absolutely no reason to worry about Windows performing badly in a VM - your machine has plenty of "OOMPH" to run several VM's concurrently.

If you run Windows VM's on a Linux Host use KVM/QEMU with the virtio drivers to start with --then passthru real devices to the VM and it should perform as native.

What you need to do that is to ensure for Video GPU hardware passthru that the MOBO supports IOMMU and ideally the GPU has 2 ports - or even better a separate GPU for the graphics so you can dedicate graphics for the gaming. I'd start though by using the "Virtualized" video driver just to get "the hang of defining and booting up a VM".

Even with the virtio video if you can't pass thru the graphics you should find gaming can often work decently - KVM is a HYPERVISOR so in fact there's actually very little OS overhead when the VM's are run unlike say using VBOX or VMWare products. HYPER-V also is similar but IMO a lot more complex to get working and also you need to have it running on a Windows HOST anyway !!!

I'm on Arch Linux (current kernel 5.4.11) and running a whole slew of VM's on KVM.

I've a few VM's set up and here's W2K19 server running on KVM - I've fiddled with the server to make it look and work as a desktop- the Windows servers are so much better and less bloated (by far) than the W10 OS consumer version - especially Windows HOME edition.

This server as a VM runs better even though it's on modest hardware than my Windows 10 pro system does on a decent laptop !!. Run the VM's though (and the Host OS) on an SSD if poss.

There's loads of documentation on enabling KVM on Linux hosts -- great thing also the Linux system can have everybody logged off and the VM still available for remote users.

Before doing everything via command line I'd recommend you install on your Linux system a GUI -- I prefer KDE (plasma) but I see you use UBUNTU so that would probably have a GNOME GUI - but your choice. Also install ovmf package if you want your Windows VM to have UEFI boot (it boots quicker BTW to use EFI) and the virtual machine manager which is a good GUI for managing virtual machines.

Also download the virtio drivers (it's an iso) for installing in the Windows VM once booted. You can get that from the FEDORA site.

After defining the VM - create the Virtual disk as a virtio one then at install time windows will prompt for the disk driver -- just point to the virtio iso.

To get HOST / VM networking - don't bother with bridged -- simply define 2 Virtual NIC's - one which will be a "Virtual isolated" network and the other a macvtap device which is your real Nic - I've got a post on how to do that in this section on the forum. The advantage of macvtap is that it also works for Wireless devices - it's not always possible to get KVM and wireless nics to work as bridged devices although that could change as kernel developments continue.

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Meanwhile have fun -- if you get stuck post again and we'll see what we can do -- prepare though if you haven't done this before to have a "few goes" with it !!!

Here's how to set up KVM/QEMU on arch linux / Manjaro -- it is I'm sure almost identical on UBUNTU - of course the package manager will be different but packages required should be identical.

Complete Installation of KVM, QEMU and Virt Manager on Arch Linux and Manjaro | ComputingForGeeks

VM's defined

Will Windows run slowly if in a VM? [​IMG]

W2K19 server setup

W2K19 server running on KVM

Macvtap device

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 9, 2021
  3. yahanna Win User
    My VBox is Running Slowly.. How Do I Speed It Up?

I'm running win 10 as guest vbox in my win 10 host PC. My vm is runnning slowly. I dont know what to do. What do you suggest?

yahanna, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Derek12 Win User

Running your Browser in a VM?

• Install VMware Player or Virtualbox, VMware being faster in my experience
    • Create a VM with sufficent RAM HD and all CPU cores
    • Install Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Debian or some lightweight distro with Xcfe or LXDE
    • Install VMware/Virtualbox tools
    • Almost any distro comes with Firefox
    • Install Ublock Origin/Noscript/Ghostery
    • Disable cookies with a whitelist/use private browsing.
    In my experience, running a browser through a VM can slow down scrolling smoothness, video playback and increase ping delay

Derek12, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Will Windows run slowly if in a VM? - Similar Threads - run slowly

2. My PC is running very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is running very slowly: My PC us running slowly after upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I did a reinstal of windows 11 and that did not solve the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-running-very-slowly/0730be62-8c15-4c16-99c8-bc4cf7f74222
  3. My PC is running very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is running very slowly: My PC us running slowly after upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I did a reinstal of windows 11 and that did not solve the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-running-very-slowly/0730be62-8c15-4c16-99c8-bc4cf7f74222
  4. My computer suddenly runs all games very slowly except for one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer suddenly runs all games very slowly except for one.: HiMy laptop has been working fine but has suddenly set rates running all games laggy except for genshin impacts. All the games i can’t play are on the lowest setting but genshin impact is on high graphics?! The other games i’m playing have similar requirements so i don’t...
  5. My computer suddenly runs all games very slowly except for one.

My computer suddenly runs all games very slowly except for one.: HiMy laptop has been working fine but has suddenly set rates running all games laggy except for genshin impacts. All the games i can’t play are on the lowest setting but genshin impact is on high graphics?! The other games i’m playing have similar requirements so i don’t...
  6. Windows running extremely slowly and battery reflects 0%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows running extremely slowly and battery reflects 0%: My windows has suddenly started running extremely slowly and outlook and web pages take forever to load. Additionally, my battery life reflects 0% but continues to function although my laptop has been charging for 8 hours. Please help urgently! Much appreciated....
  7. Windows running extremely slowly and battery reflects 0%

Windows running extremely slowly and battery reflects 0%: My windows has suddenly started running extremely slowly and outlook and web pages take forever to load. Additionally, my battery life reflects 0% but continues to function although my laptop has been charging for 8 hours. Please help urgently! Much appreciated....
  8. Programs run slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs run slowly: I have a window 7 ,14 years from now , Because Microsoft ended the support from windows 7 and programs very slow, glitches,and won't run smoothly,I decided to upgrade it to windows 10..I'm very glad because it run now smoothly,New UI,and more features.But after a week on...
  9. Programs run slowly

Programs run slowly: I have a window 7 ,14 years from now , Because Microsoft ended the support from windows 7 and programs very slow, glitches,and won't run smoothly,I decided to upgrade it to windows 10..I'm very glad because it run now smoothly,New UI,and more features.But after a week on...
  10. Programs run slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging