Windows 10: Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free?

Discus and support Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft released Windows 10, it made the decision to offer free upgrades for devices running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, provided that these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 18, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free?

When Microsoft released Windows 10, it made the decision to offer free upgrades for devices running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, provided that these devices were activated with a genuine license. A core reason for the free upgrades was Microsoft's 1-billion devices running Windows 10 goal, which it failed to reach in the projected time. Even today, it is possible to upgrade machines running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for free to Windows 10.

The upcoming official unveiling of Windows 11, Microsoft's next operating system, will reveal several important tidbits about the operating system. One question that many customers may have is, whether the upgrade to Microsoft's new operating system will be free.

Microsoft has not revealed anything in regards to upgrades to Windows 11 from existing copies of Windows, and whether these updates will be free or not.

Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? windows-11-leak.jpg

One thing that has been confirmed already is that upgrades from Windows 10, but also from devices running Windows 7 or 8.1 will be supported.

It makes sense to offer upgrades from earlier versions of Windows and not just Windows 10, considering that it is in Microsoft's interest to make sure that most of its customers move to the latest version of the operating system that it supports.

Windows 7 ESU support will run out in less than 2 years, Windows 8.1 support ends in January 2023, and Windows 10 support will end in 2025.

Will Windows 11 be a free upgrade?

It is likely that Windows 11 will be a free upgrade for consumer devices. Microsoft needs to move the majority of Windows 10 customers to Windows 11 quickly, considering that Windows 10 will run out of support in 2025 and that the last thing that it wants is another fiasco in which many devices are not upgraded to the new version of Windows; this happened when Windows XP ran out of support, and again with end of support for Windows 7.

The most likely scenario has Microsoft offer free upgrades to all home customers who operate devices with Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

The offer would entice many to upgrade their devices to Windows 11 right away, giving the new operating system a solid user base right from the get-go.

If Microsoft would not offer free upgrades, Windows 11 would see a slower rise in user numbers as customers might be reluctant to upgrade to the new version of Windows.

Why change a running a system, especially if the alternative includes having to pay for the upgrade. The main reason for upgrades is support, but even that is not a convincing enough argument for some users of Windows. In fact, there are still plenty that run unsupported copies of Windows on their devices.

Closing Words

Microsoft will reveal information about Windows 11 next week. Whether the reveal will include information about upgrades, and whether these will be free, remains to be seen.

Now You: will you upgrade to Windows 11 (if it is a free upgrade or paid)?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 18, 2021

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Error 11/11/2015

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with installing the updates, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Were you able to see any error notification along with the error code?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Are you able to boot in to the desktop?

This issue might be due to the anti-virus software or corrupted Windows Update Components.

I suggest you to hard reboot the computer and perform the below.

Step 1: Try to eject all the external devices connected to your computer except mouse and keyboard, reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to uninstall the anti-virus software installed on your device and check for the updates.

If the issue still persists,

Step 3: I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check.

Resolves problems that prevents you from updating windows.

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      View all in the left pane.
    • Select Windows Update to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
      and follow the on-screen instructions.

For further reference: How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10
    Installation

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 18, 2021
  3. Karla Alm Win User
    Adobe Flash message in IE 11

Hi Sandra,

To help you out with your concern, we suggest that you disable the add-ons in Internet Explorer 11. For step by step instructions, go to this

link
    , then look for the title Turning off and removing add-ons.

We also suggest that you reset Internet Explorer 11 through these steps:

• Go to Internet Explorer then click the Gear icon.
    • Choose Internet options > Advanced.
    • Click Reset.

(Note: If you have added Favorites, back up them first before resetting the browser. )

Should you need further assistance, let us know.

Regards.

Karla Alm, Jun 18, 2021
  4. Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 18, 2021
Thema:

Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free?

1. Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? - Similar Threads - able upgrade free

2. free windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free windows 11 upgrade: how can i upgrade to windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-windows-11-upgrade/e1eee10c-b511-428b-adab-8c25cb623864
  3. free windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free windows 11 upgrade: how can i upgrade to windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-windows-11-upgrade/e1eee10c-b511-428b-adab-8c25cb623864
  4. windows 11 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 free upgrade: Can anyone tell me when the free upgrade to windows 11 expires please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-free-upgrade/96fdcd6f-a2f9-4aa7-8a57-57193fcaa45c
  5. windows 11 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 free upgrade: Can anyone tell me when the free upgrade to windows 11 expires please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-free-upgrade/96fdcd6f-a2f9-4aa7-8a57-57193fcaa45c
  6. Windows 11 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 free upgrade: Hello,I am on windows 10.recently I noticed that windows 11 up-gradation information on my update page disappeared,does it mean the free degradation opportunity is over? Thank you....
  7. Windows 11 Free Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Free Upgrade: If I upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 Pro will I upgrade to Windows 11 Pro or only the home version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-free-upgrade/971e76ca-6b46-4498-b159-6c4eed04b87a
  8. Free Windows 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free Windows 11 Upgrade: I am currently running Windows 10 Pro. If I elect the free upgrade will it upgrade to 11 Pro or Just windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-windows-11-upgrade/9b139fe2-2ae1-4b7c-b0cb-30459194c063
  9. Windows 11 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 free upgrade: I have Hp15s FQ2072TU and have Windows10 home with a lifetime activation.the free upgrade to windows 11 is available for my laptop.If i do upgrade,my windows11 also remain activated for lifetime or not?...
  10. Windows 11 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 free upgrade: I have Hp15s FQ2072TU and have Windows10 home with a lifetime activation.the free upgrade to windows 11 is available for my laptop.If i do upgrade,my windows11 also remain activated for lifetime or not?...