Windows 10: WIM larger after removing built in apps

Discus and support WIM larger after removing built in apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I removed all the built in apps but windows store from my wim file and I was expecting it to be smaller. Can someone explain and is the a command in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PaulaJava, Sep 21, 2017.

1. PaulaJava Win User

WIM larger after removing built in apps

I removed all the built in apps but windows store from my wim file and I was expecting it to be smaller. Can someone explain and is the a command in powershell to compress the wim when I save?

:)

PaulaJava, Sep 21, 2017

2. Orphaned tiles after deployment

A little background.

We removed provisioned apps from our WIM file. We also have a GPO to disable the consumer experience to get rid of the rest of the unwanted non enterprise apps.

The WIM file is loaded into SCCM and deployed via task. Everything works fine.

Every user who logs now has orphaned live tiles on the start menu. The provisioned apps that were removed via DISM and powershell, their tiles will disappear after a reboot or 2 but they should not be there in the first place as the apps were removed in
    an offline WIM.

Is there something in the WIM I need to do to remove the live tiles as well?

On the Consumer Experience GPO the apps tiles are stuck on the start menu you can manually unpin them but our users are really not that capable. I know it is a simple right click and unpin but this is a "prison run by the prisoners" environment so we have
    to figure out how to clear this up with out getting them involved. Note that the icons are in the live tile area, the actual program/apps list they are gone. The tiles have a downward arrow like they are downloading and some say A great new app is coming.

Any suggestions would be helpful. We are testing Windows 10 1703 but the same exists in 1607

EvilJenius, Sep 21, 2017
  3. windows phone waiting for wifi

Android allows users to download apps larger than 50 mb , it just warns when all download limits are removed.

why windows phone doesn't allow users to download apps more than 50 mb.

windows should remove the limits, and just issues a warning while downloading apps larger than 50 mb.

manu samarth, Sep 21, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

5. SIW2 Win User
    New-WindowsImage -CapturePath C: -ImagePath D:\WHATEVER.wim -name "SOMETHING" -Verify -CompressionType max

If you are just unmounting, I don't think you can specify compression. You can if you are capturing or exporting to a new wim.

You can use dism++ to export - it has an easy gui. Alternatively, wimlib has an optimize function:
    wimlib - Main page

6. PaulaJava Win User
    Oookay... That's makes sense. I'll give exporting a try. WIM larger after removing built in apps :)

PaulaJava, Sep 22, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    If you want to use Powershell as SIW2 said you can't compress using Dismount-WindowsImage (for some unknown reason - some of these Powershell wrappers are a bit simplistic I think.).

What you can do is Dismount the image (to save your changes) and then use Export-WindowsImage to compress it.

You can't just export it without dismounting it first afaik.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WIM larger after removing built in apps - Similar Threads - WIM larger removing

2. Built-in apps get's removed are deploying windows image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Built-in apps get's removed are deploying windows image: Hello,We have created a new windows image with all windows updates up to date and some apps installed. After sysprep, the image is installed on a VM for testing and everything is working fine. However, after deploying the image on an actual machine, some built-in apps are...
  3. Built-in apps get's removed are deploying windows image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Built-in apps get's removed are deploying windows image: Hello,We have created a new windows image with all windows updates up to date and some apps installed. After sysprep, the image is installed on a VM for testing and everything is working fine. However, after deploying the image on an actual machine, some built-in apps are...
  4. Remove all UWP built in apps in Windows 1903

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Remove all UWP built in apps in Windows 1903: How can I remove all those UWP apps : e.g new Snipping, Edge, Connect, Phone, 3D, OneDrive, Cortana, Store,.... ? ***Edited for TOU/COC violation*** ***Original Title: Remove All ugly UWP built in apps in Windows 1903***...
  5. Remove all UWP built in apps in Windows 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove all UWP built in apps in Windows 1903: How can I remove all those UWP apps : e.g new Snipping, Edge, Connect, Phone, 3D, OneDrive, Cortana, Store,.... ? ***Edited for TOU/COC violation*** ***Original Title: Remove All ugly UWP built in apps in Windows 1903***...
  6. Remove Built-In Apps To Save Space

Remove Built-In Apps To Save Space: Hello, So I noticed that this folder: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps is 3.08 GB (3,318,742,747 bytes) big. There's a bunch of apps in here that I don't use. I read a few articles online that you can uninstall apps through Windows PowerShell, and I can figure out how to do...
  7. How To Remove Built-In Apps To Save Space

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Remove Built-In Apps To Save Space: Hello, So I noticed that this folder: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps is 3.08 GB (3,318,742,747 bytes) big. There's a bunch of apps in here that I don't use. I read a few articles online that you can uninstall apps through Windows PowerShell, and I can figure out how to do...
  8. Remove built in apps windows 10 for All Users

Remove built in apps windows 10 for All Users: Hi all, Hope i can have some help as i made a error in my image i created. *Sad I've left the built in apps installed and i would like to remove them via GPO or logon script? Dose anyone have any ideas on how? Thanks Newp 62176
  9. Removing Built-in Apps

Removing Built-in Apps: I don't have an Xbox & so I do not need the Xbox App or its related packages. Problem is, I am having a hard time removing the App & its related packages. These are the steps I have gone through, in both my Local Administrator & Local Standard accounts. 1. I opened...
  10. Built in Apps

Built in Apps: I have an issue whereby whenever I restart windows, the following apps startup, but I can't see them the the startup menu. Photos, Calculator and The Store. Does anyone know how these can be disabled? 15261