Windows 10: WIMBoot - no longer needed for a compressed Windows 10 install?

Discus and support WIMBoot - no longer needed for a compressed Windows 10 install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Apologies if this has already been asked, there are discussions about upgrading from aWIMBoot installation of 8.1 but nothing I could find about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xtcrefugee, Aug 6, 2015.

1. WIMBoot - no longer needed for a compressed Windows 10 install?

Apologies if this has already been asked, there are discussions about upgrading from aWIMBoot installation of 8.1 but nothing I could find about actually using WIMBoot with Windows 10.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Home via the ISO, and along with the ~500MB and 100MB system partitions the install weighs in at 9.75GB. With 8.1 I could then convert to a WIMBoot install and save more space, but is this still the case for Windows 10? From what I've read Windows 10 is supposed to compress as it installs if it detects it's running on a device that doesn't have much storage, but how do I tell whether it has done this or not? If WIMBoot is still supported, am I likely to gain any more space using it?

-edit-
    Apparently WIMBoot is not supported and Windows 10 compression is pretty good, so no worries!

:)

xtcrefugee, Aug 6, 2015

2. How do you reinstall windows on a windows tablet that uses wimboot?

I figured out how to reinstall windows myself, Because windows 10 doesn't need a separate partition for wimboot no longer? when windows installs will it do compression automatically? because i reinstalled it and it seems its compressed?

MichaelWeaser, Aug 6, 2015
  3. How do you reinstall windows on a windows tablet that uses wimboot?

Resetting this tablet doesn't work, because even if i do that i still have random corruption problems, i want to delete the operating system and reinstall from usb , i just need help to get it reinstalled with wimboot compression. Isn't windows 10 wimboot
    different from windows 8.1 wimboot by that you don't need a separate partition for the wimboot images? So can i reinstall windows 10 from a usb flash drive and not need a special wimboot version?

MichaelWeaser, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

WIMBoot - no longer needed for a compressed Windows 10 install?

1. WIMBoot - no longer needed for a compressed Windows 10 install? - Similar Threads - WIMBoot longer needed

2. Win 10 photos app no longer compresses videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 photos app no longer compresses videos: I've been using the Win 10 photos app to shrink the size of videos for the last 2.5 years until about 10 days ago. Now there is no comparable shrinkage in the file size without a significant loss in image quality. If I retain the image quality the file size bloats. I use the...
  3. Win 10 photos app no longer compresses videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 photos app no longer compresses videos: I've been using the Win 10 photos app to shrink the size of videos for the last 2.5 years until about 10 days ago. Now there is no comparable shrinkage in the file size without a significant loss in image quality. If I retain the image quality the file size bloats. I use the...
  4. Windows 10 NTFS Compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 NTFS Compression: Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a...
  5. Windows 10 RAM Compression

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 RAM Compression: Hi, glad to read you all. This is my problem, suddenly my windows start to use this feature called "RAM Compression", this thing made to supposedly make my perfomance better, locks 15 gb of 16gb i currently have. The actual issue besides all is that i cant permanently...
  6. Wimboot is not desired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wimboot is not desired: How can I stop Windows 10 from installing into Windows image file boot (WIMBoot), without formatting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/wimboot-is-not-desired/fa74bc47-8dd9-49b7-a5b7-a9c217cdb46f
  7. No "WIMBOOT" mode, without formatting.

No "WIMBOOT" mode, without formatting.: Is there a way to stop windows 10 from installing into "WIMBOOT" mode, without formatting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/no-wimboot-mode-without-formatting/04352edc-1887-4856-ab4c-625cbbc266b5
  8. Clean install with WIMBoot & delete recovery partition

Clean install with WIMBoot & delete recovery partition: I bought a 2nd hand Lenovo Idea pad 100s netbook. It has 32gb eMMC storage. It has WIMBoot. It came with Win10 but has the old owners profile so I want to reinstall a clean copy of windows 10 from usb that I downloaded from Microsoft. 2 questions: 1. Can I delete the...
  9. Upgrade for Win 8.1 Update WIMBoot Installations to Win 10

Upgrade for Win 8.1 Update WIMBoot Installations to Win 10: Do we know what will happen with users who have a WIMBoot Installation (aka compressed) installation of Windows 8.1 Update on their system? Will they get the update like the others or will they have to create their own Windows 10 WIMBootinstallation? edit: typo 6484
  10. Windows 10 Memory Compression

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Memory Compression: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] With the announcement of the Memory compression feature, we have received a lot of queries from the insiders asking for more information. This post tries to go in-depth into the inner working of the Memory Manager and the...