Windows 10: WimMount question

Discus and support WimMount question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Forum, I have a folder called WimMount in my c drive. It seems to have an entire other windows in it? can someone please tell me what it is for?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Davros, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Davros Win User

WimMount question

Hi Forum, I have a folder called WimMount in my c drive. It seems to have an entire other windows in it?
    can someone please tell me what it is for? Also, when I right click on the folder and click properties, it reports the size as 11.2GB but the size on disk says 38.4MB ??

Thanks in advance for your response.

:)

Davros, Apr 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Something Happened

Try searching setuplog for Wimmount. If setup cannot find wimmount you'll get the errors. Setuplog will tell you where setup tries to find wimmount. Copy wimmount to this location.

The SQM errors comes even when it works smoothtly. and they are there long before the wimmount error

Jan C. Andersen, Apr 19, 2016
  3. Jaxrtech Win User
    Installer closing at ~6% (wimmount?/0x80070003)

At least for me, I was able to find a pretty simple fix for this problem although I was upgrading from Windows 8.1 Update.

AFAIK, this should still fix the problem on Windows 7.

The issue:

It seems that for some strange reason the installer does not include `wimmount.sys` which is what it's trying to look for. So, it ends up trying to find it at the default location which clearly does not exist causing the installation
    to fail.

The fix:

So, clearly we need to properly get the installer the recognize `wimmount.sys` located somewhere. To do that all we need is to get it installed. To do so:

• Download the "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit" from:

Download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Update from Official Microsoft Download Center

(it says "for Windows 8.1 Update" but it says it can run on Windows 7 and other versions of Windows)
    • Run the installer (it may take a minute or two for the blue splash screen to go away)
    • "Specify Location"

Leave the default option selected which should be "Install the Windows..."

(FYI: the installer says it uses ~6GB, but we will select only what we need, that being ~50MB, so you aren't killing your internet bandwidth nor wasting time)

Click Next.

• "Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)"

(You can just leave it set to No unless you feel otherwise WimMount question :p)

Click Next.

• "License Agreement"

Click Agree.

• "Select the features you want to install"

IMPORTANT: Deselect everything except "Deployment Tools"

(as said, this keeps you from downloading GBs of unnecessary stuff)

Click Install.
    • If you have UAC enabled, click Yes.
    • Wait for the install to complete...
    • Click Close.
    • Try running your Windows 10 install again. The installer should recognize where `wimmount.sys` and now be able to successfully install Windows 10.

So, let me know how it goes WimMount question :p

Cheers,

Jaxrtech, Apr 19, 2016
Thema:

WimMount question

1. WimMount question - Similar Threads - WimMount question

2. Questions about creation and deletion of inactive accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Questions about creation and deletion of inactive accounts: In the past, I was not very familiar with Microsoft Windows 10 reset settings or account deletion features. If something did not work properly with Windows 10 or if I wanted to start fresh, I would wipe my computer clean and create a new Microsoft account after re-installing...
  3. Windows 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Questions: Hello Microsoft Community, I have some questions about Windows 10. 1. Is there a way I can schedule emails in the Mail app? 2. Does Storage sense run automatically and free up space when needed? 3. Does Disk Defragment run automatically? Any help will be appreciated....
  4. Windows Product Key Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Product Key Question: Let's say I have a "Windows 10 Pro For OEM Software" Product Key. I want to use that product key instead of my current Windows 10 Home. It is already used however. Let's say I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home, and I want to change the product key to Windows 10 Pro. Will...
  5. My previous question does not have an answer.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My previous question does not have an answer.: My previous question does not have an answer and it has been a while. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-previous-question-does-not-have-an-answer/e616e26a-96b0-4fc9-8abb-08b4ecb3901d
  6. Windows Media Creation tool Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Creation tool Question: My PC keeps freezing on me and because of my idiocy I did not create a restore drive or create a new install media when I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I am needing to reset my Win 10 system and I need to run the media creation tool to help resolve this issue. My question is do I...
  7. Question: How can I be sure all my Sticky Notes are backed up to my personal Microsoft...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question: How can I be sure all my Sticky Notes are backed up to my personal Microsoft...: This, among many other reasons, is why I'd love an iOS, Android, and Xbox version of the Microsoft Sticky Notes app. One of the most important Sticky Notes I need backed up is the one with my 186 homepages in Mozilla Firefox synced across all of my Windows 10 and macOS...
  8. Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.: My desktop PC has finally reached the end of its life. I had something to do with it (inadvertently pushing it to a quick end, but probably that's a story for another forum). I decided to buy a laptop instead of a desktop PC. Here's some background information: All my data...
  9. windows 10 1903 update and hp beats 15-p030nr hardware compatibility question.

windows 10 1903 update and hp beats 15-p030nr hardware compatibility question.: so microsoft announced new hw requirements/ minimum hw requirements for 1903 and its been several days since it was released: https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-v1903-system-requirements/ i currently have an hp beats special edition 15-p030nr notebook pc. (the specs can...
  10. Question about MDT and GPO Packages

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about MDT and GPO Packages: First, I apologise for any formatting issues as I'm on mobile. With SCM being abandoned by Microsoft, is there an easy alternative to building a GPO package for Windows 10 deployment? 133218

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wimmount-folder in c:-drive