Windows 10: Win 10 1709 upgrade to 1803 fails - no boot info in msconfig/boot tab

Discus and support Win 10 1709 upgrade to 1803 fails - no boot info in msconfig/boot tab in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade Windows 10 N Enterprise 1709 to 1803 (or latest).. It fails saying "we can't tell if your PC is ready to continue installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kenleach, Aug 6, 2019.

1. kenleach Win User

Win 10 1709 upgrade to 1803 fails - no boot info in msconfig/boot tab

I am trying to upgrade Windows 10 N Enterprise 1709 to 1803 (or latest)..
    It fails saying "we can't tell if your PC is ready to continue installing Windows 10."
    This is with the 1803 Enterprise N ISO run from windows or from the updaterapp ,,,
    One thing I noticed was that when I go to msconfig .. boot tab there is NO info..
    If I run
    C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /enum
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.

I have run sfc and DISM all clean...

I think some registry settings or something that is needed around the boot info is missing.

EasyBCD
    says the BCD could not be opened... the volume for the file has been externally altered so that the external file is no longer valid.

I think this is the source of the update failing..

Any ideas?

-Ken

:)

kenleach, Aug 6, 2019
  2. mcomp72 Win User

No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

I recently upgraded my SSD from a 500 GB drive to a 1 TB drive. I cloned the drive with Arocnis True Image 2016. It seemed to work, but then it wouldn't boot up. I followed some instructions I found on another forum about how to repair the bcd (booting up using the Windows 10 USB stick and going into the command prompt and running several commands), and that worked. The computer now boots up. However, I have now noticed that there is no listing under the MSConfig boot tab. Also, I don't know if System Restore is working - under C:, it says (Missing). See attached screenshots. I am not sure what to do now. I need to boot into Safe Mode, but I can't select Safe Mode in MSConfig because there is nothing listed under the Boot tab. It seems likely that whatever I did at the command prompt has messed things up. Anyone have any idea how I would fix this?

Win 10 1709 upgrade to 1803 fails - no boot info in msconfig/boot tab [​IMG]

mcomp72, Aug 6, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Need some help here with a boot error in Windows Vista.

msconfig.

boot tab.

highlight OS listing.

Delete.

Apply. Restart.

cadaveca, Aug 6, 2019
  4. mcomp72 Win User

No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

I was unable to convert the system reserved partition into FAT32. I could not figure out how. I found instructions on how to convert FAT32 to NTFS, but not the other way around. Am I dead in the water without being able to do this? Would I need to format the drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10 in order to make that partition be FAT32?

I actually had a USB stick with Macrium on it already, so I went ahead and booted up with it, just to see what would happen. Here is a screenshot.

Note: the D drive is a secondary internal drive, but I never boot from it.

I clicked on Recovery, and was able to select the C drive in regards to where Windows was installed. However, when it asked me what partition the computer should boot from, it only listed my D drive.

Also, when I was in BIOS, I noticed that there is now another Windows Boot Manager listing. It looks slightly different than the other five that were already there, because it actually lists the name of the drive in parentheses.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Can you recommend a way to convert my NTFS partition into FAT32?

mcomp72, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 1709 upgrade to 1803 fails - no boot info in msconfig/boot tab - Similar Threads - 1709 upgrade 1803

2. The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot: Hi, I do need some help. This problem started when I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using paragon partition manager. Basically, I wanna upgrade my win 10 to win 11. Apparently, the upgrade failed 0x800703ee. after reading many articles, I just try to solve the problem by...
  3. Win 10 boot fail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 boot fail: Win10 won't boot. Displays error oxc0000185. What is error oxc0000185? How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-boot-fail/2cdd11b6-7156-4663-8ead-4f3c2db0da69
  4. MSCONFIG Boot Tab..change order

in Windows 10 Support
    MSCONFIG Boot Tab..change order: In MSCONFIG Boot Tab is possible, change the order of the boot selection that appear when the system turns on ? Thank Hispa 168983
  5. Win 10 fails to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 fails to boot: The other day the PC crashed. It restarted on its own and went to the recovery screen, but nothing has worked. I've done ever imaginable step. System Restore wouldn't start. Removing the last update didn't start. I tried bootrec, but that removed Windows 10 from the "exit and...
  6. Multiple copies of Windows 10 in MSCONFIG Boot tab

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple copies of Windows 10 in MSCONFIG Boot tab: For as long as I can remember the General tab in MSCONFIG always had the Selective Startup option checked with the Use original boot configuration not checked as follows. [img] When I check the Use original boot configuration option the default switches to Normal startup...
  7. Upgrade 1709 to 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade 1709 to 1803: Hello Forum, Thinking about upgrading from 1709 to 1803 version, and I am doing some preparations not to be dependant on being online to upgrade. What I did so far: 1. Downloaded the Win 10 1803 (pro, English) installation file from this site:...
  8. Win 10 Pro 1709 to 1803 Update Fail

Win 10 Pro 1709 to 1803 Update Fail: Dear Community I am Using Microsoft Win 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1709 OS Build 16299.904 From October 2018 on My HP Pro book 4520S and tried to update it to New Version 1803 or 1809 From December 2018 till Feb 01, 2019 but every time it fails and i have to use Hard Reset....
  9. Win 10 Upgrade 1709 to 1803

Win 10 Upgrade 1709 to 1803: I would just like to add my pennies worth regarding my frustration over the last twelve months or so trying to upgrade to what ever the latest win 10 Feature version is currently available. Firstly I must say I am now up and running with Win 10 1803, thanks to a community...
  10. Win 10 Version 1709 to 1803 update failed consistently.

Win 10 Version 1709 to 1803 update failed consistently.: Error Received using normal Windows Update : 0xC1900101 Error Recieved using Media Creation tool 1803: 0xC1900101 – 0x4001E. The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during PRE_OOBE operation Both times the update gets to about 90% and then reboots...