Windows 10: Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...

Discus and support Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Tired of running out of space in the recovery partition and get windows image shadow copy error 0x80780119, I was just trying out the script to prepare... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by fg2001, Aug 21, 2019.

1. fg2001 Win User

Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...

Tired of running out of space in the recovery partition and get windows image shadow copy error 0x80780119, I was just trying out the script to prepare the GPT partitions for windows 10 installation, but rather than using WinPE I just used the DiskPart command on a running windows 10 v 1903 or 20H1 and I noticed that using the script suggested by Microsoft at this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

I ended up with 2 MSR partitions instead of one. The 1st Reserved partition was created directly after the command 'convert gpt'

This does not happen if the same script is started from the command prompt of the installation media.

I did not see any documentation stating that the command 'convert gpt' was automatically creating an MSR partition and it was just a surprise to see that it behaves differently depending on the environment. I assume that is fine for a GPT disk that only has data partitions after the MSR, but not good for a windows system disk.

To work around the problem and running the script on a live system I had to add 2 lines right after the "convert gpt"

---

select partition 1

delete partition override

---

and then continue with the rest of the script.

Results sample with a 64GB disk before the workaround:

Disk 7 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Reserved 15 MB 17 KB <-------- Created automatically with command 'convert gpt'
    Partition 2 System 100 MB 16 MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 116 MB
    Partition 4 Primary 58 GB 132 MB
    Partition 5 Recovery 1000 MB 58 GB

DISKPART>

rem == CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt ==
    rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to
    rem create four partitions
    rem for a UEFI/GPT-based PC.
    rem Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive
    rem as necessary. ==
    select disk 7
    clean
    convert gpt

rem added following 2 lines to work around the duplicate MSR

select partition 1
    delete partition override

rem == 1. System partition =========================
    create partition efi size=100
    rem ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives,
    rem change this value to size = 260 **
    format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
    assign letter="S"
    rem == 2. Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition =======
    create partition msr size=16
    rem == 3. Windows partition ========================
    rem == a. Create the Windows partition ==========
    create partition primary
    rem == b. Create space for the recovery tools ===
    rem ** Update this size to match the size of
    rem the recovery tools (winre.wim)
    rem plus some free space.
    shrink minimum=1000
    rem == c. Prepare the Windows partition =========
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    assign letter="W"
    rem === 4. Recovery tools partition ================
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery tools"
    assign letter="R"
    set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
    list volume
    exit

Same 64GB disk sample after adding the 2 lines in the script.

Disk 7 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Reserved 16 MB 101 MB
    Partition 3 Primary 58 GB 117 MB
    Partition 4 Recovery 1000 MB 58 GB

DISKPART>

Actual windows disks with increased recovery partition to 1000 MB:

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition 1 System 260 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Reserved 16 MB 261 MB
    Partition 3 Primary 475 GB 277 MB
    Partition 4 Recovery 1000 MB 475 GB

DISKPART>

Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the... 598356c2-b49e-4315-a91d-9dbec71fea4a?upload=true.png

--

:)

fg2001, Aug 21, 2019

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Aug 21, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

Yes, we will rebuild the whole thing.

Here's the steps:
    1. Copy this code and save it in a file called: EFI.txt to an external HD.
      IMPORTANT: The code uses Disk 0 on first line, make sure you use the same disk #, if not, change it.
      select disk 0
      clean
      convert GPT
      create partition primary size=499
      format quick fs=ntfs
      set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC override
      gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
      create partition primary size=99
      format quick fs=FAT32
      set id=C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B override
      create par MSR size=16
      list par
      exit
    2. Download Macrium Rescue disk ISO.: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
      build a bootable USB, use: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    3. Boot up the PC with the USB. NOTE: there are 2 boot up modes: USB-XXX and UEFI-USB-XXX
      Since your Windows is GPT, Must use: UEFI-USB-XXX
    4. Make a complete backup image of your current Windows Disk 0 including D: partition to the external HD.
      (Click on image this disk)
      IMPORTANT:
      Make sure you verify the image
    5. Next, Click on the command icon on the bottom left to open the command windows then type:
      diskpart /s Drive:\EFI.txt where Drive is the the drive letter of the external HD.
      This will create the 1st 3 partitions: 500MB Recovery, 100MB EFI System, 16MB MSR
    6. Go back to Macrium Windows, click on Backup tab, click on Refresh
    7. Next, click on Restore Tab and select the backup image created in step 4
      Select the destination disk (Disk 0)
    8. Drag the Cdrive from top row and drop to the empty space next to 16MB MSR, then drag D: and drop next to C:
      Click next->Finish
    9. Once restore completed. Click on "Fix Windows Boot problem". Follow the screen to rebuild the BCD.
    10. Reboot

You should have: 499 MB Recovery, 99 EFI System, 16MB MSR and C drive + Drive (16MB MSR is hidden from Disk Management)
    Here's a screen shot without Drive D since I only have Windows partitions on disk 0

Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the... [​IMG]

At this point your Windows Recovery Environment is broken, we will fix that next.

If you have any question. Please ask !!!

topgundcp, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...

1. Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the... - Similar Threads - 1903 DiskPart command

2. diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then...: diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then convert gpt to mbr is worse makes it unrecoverable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diskpart-clean-with-convert-mbr-to-gpt-makes-it/d4c927e7-5a09-482b-bbfa-502b9f9b60a0
  3. Does diskpart "clean" command create entirely new partition table

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does diskpart "clean" command create entirely new partition table: I'm talking about erasing infected by malware drives. I want to be sure that no data is left, even no information about partition table. So does diskpart "clean" command create entirely new partition table?...
  4. Issues with MSR Partition

Issues with MSR Partition: Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached...
  5. convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command?

convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command?: @NavyLCDR, you said in another thread: The clean command in diskpart automatically converts the drive to MBR. "Convert MBR" is never necessary after the "clean" command. I tested this and does not appear to be the case. Flash drive is GPT before and after the clean command...
  6. WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10: what is MSR partition? I visited Wikipedia website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition , I seen 128MB will created for msr partition , but in my laptop I manually created 16MB . Now my question is , why Microsoft recommends create...
  7. No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?: [img] [img] Hi there! First post on these forums. I got this new laptop a few months ago and had to install Windows 10 manually as it didn't come with an OS. At the time, I ran into some kind of installation issue that only let me proceed if I installed using MBR...
  8. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive: Hi, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that was created using Rufus so it has GPT partition table for UEFI setup. I want to put it back to MBR partition style using Diskpart. In diskpart if I select the disk and then use the clean command does the disk go back to...
  9. Partition Prerequisites for converting to GPT using MBR2GPT

Partition Prerequisites for converting to GPT using MBR2GPT: Hi I am looking into converting from a BIOS based system to UEFI using MBR2GPT but I understand there are specific rules for the layout of the system disk. Currently I have four Primary partitions comprising System Reserved, Windows 7, Windows 10 and an unnamed partition...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. select disk 0 clean convert gpt script

2. convert gpr to msr

3. windows 10 convert from mbr to uefi creates additional disk drive