Windows 10: Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions...

Discus and support Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm unable to figure this out after hours of searching and trying things so I'm hoping someone here can help. Recently my remote systems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by reload68, Aug 7, 2019.

1. reload68 Win User

Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions...

Hello,

I'm unable to figure this out after hours of searching and trying things so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Recently my remote systems were updated to windows 10 1903 and since then every time I reconnect (hit the close button, re-establish a remote desktop session) all of my windows and task bar that I re-locate to my other monitors are all crammed back on the center monitor. I have three monitors. Note that this all worked fine before this update.

Setup:

Main computer:

Win 10 (1807, 1903 now since I upgraded thinking it was a comparability issue)

i7 8700k

nvidia 1060

Remote Computer 1:

Windows 10 (1903)

i7 4770

intel integrated graphics

Remote computer 2:

Windows 10 (1903)

xenon 14...

AMD hd 400 or something (dell)

Remote computer 3:

Windows 10 (1903)

i7 8700

intel HD 600 integrated

Things I've tried:

- I upgraded my main PC to 1903 thinking maybe if I had it on the same version it might fix it. This resulted in my third monitor not receiving signal until I unplugged all of them, powered them all down, and plugged them in sequentially. Separate issue I suppose.
    - I updated the remote pc's with all the latest patches from windows. Checked graphics drivers are up to date.
    - I tested remoting in from two other computers on windows 10, one with two monitors, one with three, same issue.

- I looked at the windows logs on the computers and there doesn't seem to be any error logs created by the remote connection event (like a graphics driver crash or similar)

- I ran sfc and similar to check for corruption and nothing of note came up.

Observations:

- This seems similar to what happens when you clean install a graphics driver where it bumps from one monitor low res and back.

- I am aware of the black screen issue with RDP and 1903. The fix is to use a default windows display adapter which only supports low res and one monitor so its kind of pointless to try that.

- Given the range of hardware spanning 4 generations it seems unlikely to be a "old computer, not compatible" issue.

Thanks for your time,

"Reload"

:)

reload68, Aug 7, 2019

2. Explorer Navigation Bar Position

Actually I'm referring to the "Favorites" listing positioned on the right side of the screen. Between it and the rest of the screen is positioned a vertical "bar" containing five choices (Favorites, Reading List, Books, History, Downloads). This "bar"
    was horizontal on previous revisions of the Windows (10) browser.

All of my previous remarks pertain to this. I'm familiar with the Task Bar normally located at the bottom of the screen.

Thank you.

FreakyLlama2551, Aug 7, 2019
  3. ansentry Win User
    Remote Desktop (RDP) - No task bar on client PC.

I have been using RDP for LAN and also over VPN for years - never had any great problems.

NOW!
    On a PC that has been upgraded from Win7 to Win10 Pro I have having problems with my RDP, when I connect to the remote computer I can't see its Task Bar, I can only see the Task Bar of the computer I am connecting from.

I have tried to connect to the same client with another Win10 machine and no problem with Task Bar, every thing normal.
    I have check the RDP settings and they are the same on both of the computers I was connecting from.

As a temp measure on the client PC I have the Task Bar displayed on the right hand side instead of bottom, works but I would like things how they should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

ansentry, Aug 7, 2019
  4. Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions...

RDP file not launching Remote Desktop

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that ".rdp files will not launch Remote Desktop", what exactly are you referring to? Are you facing issues while launching .rdp files in remote desktop mode?

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions...

1. Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions... - Similar Threads - 1903 RDP Remote

2. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  3. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  4. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart: I'm in the middle of doing a few updates and troubleshooting steps for a couple unrelated issues, and this has cropped up in the process of doing so; whenever I restart my computer now, the icons on my desktop are always in the same location. See that smoothies.txt popped out...
  6. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  7. RDP Remote Desktop not retaining window positions after upgrading to Windows 1903 and 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RDP Remote Desktop not retaining window positions after upgrading to Windows 1903 and 1909: After upgrading our workstations to Windows 10 1903 and 1909, we noticed that every time we re-established a remote session most of the open windows would shift or collapse to just one monitor - all the windows position has been lost. This started happening after...
  8. task bar position

task bar position: how do I move my taskbar when it is unlocked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-position/dcdacf71-3791-4dd5-b4ab-3ea6f5d95ffa
  9. Edge doesn't retain screen position

in Browsers and Email
    Edge doesn't retain screen position: Annoyingly, Edge doesn't retain screen position, which means repositioning it every time I open it. All other apps are fine. Bug? 9923
  10. Remote Desktop (RDP) - No task bar on client PC.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop (RDP) - No task bar on client PC.: I have been using RDP for LAN and also over VPN for years - never had any great problems. NOW! On a PC that has been upgraded from Win7 to Win10 Pro I have having problems with my RDP, when I connect to the remote computer I can't see its Task Bar, I can only see the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rdp win 1903

2. edge not retaining settings using rdp

3. windows position in rdp

4. Win 10 RDP window positions,
  5. windows 1903 remote desktop not show,
  6. Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions (multiple monitors)