Windows 10: Win 10 (1909) Disc Management Partition Defaults

Discus and support Win 10 (1909) Disc Management Partition Defaults in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As a relatively new Win 10-Pro (1909) user, I was surprised when the Win 10 disc management partition function automatically marked my attempt create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Henrik37, May 20, 2020.

1. Henrik37 Win User

Win 10 (1909) Disc Management Partition Defaults

As a relatively new Win 10-Pro (1909) user, I was surprised when the Win 10 disc management partition function automatically marked my attempt create further HD partitions (beyond the 'C' partition) as 'active'. I have always been under the impression that when one wanted to create additional HD partitions beyond the 'C' partition, one had to first create an 'extended partition' and then create further HD partitions within the 'extended partition' UNLESS one wanted an additional 'active' partition for the installation of a 2nd OS.

What is it that I don't understand?

Any pointers to a suitable tutorial, suggestions for a better understanding what is going on, or specific advice is welcomed and will be most appreciated.

:)

Henrik37, May 20, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 20, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, May 20, 2020
  4. Norton Win User

Partition application

The disk management tools in Win 7 work fine for me to create or resize partitions. What kind of things are you trying to do with them?

Norton, May 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 (1909) Disc Management Partition Defaults - Similar Threads - 1909 Disc Management

2. Disc Partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disc Partition: Hi I am extremely confused by disc partitions - new PC.Windows 11 Home installed - I have literally hardly any space on C drive and need to utilise D drive or my external hard drive? Please can anyone advise me on how extend C drive in simple terms. I have moved what I can...
  3. Disc Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disc Partition: Hi I am extremely confused by disc partitions - new PC.Windows 11 Home installed - I have literally hardly any space on C drive and need to utilise D drive or my external hard drive? Please can anyone advise me on how extend C drive in simple terms. I have moved what I can...
  4. Disc Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. disc management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disc management: how disc management? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-management/411542b2-4b14-4f69-98a4-75bb2da3d5f3
  6. Lost Disc partition.

Lost Disc partition.: I have windows 10 Home. My disk partition D is missing. I tried to recover it multiple times. After I recover it, I can see that partition But once my laptop is restarted I am losing my partition again. I am not able to find it in even disk management as well. How can I find...
  7. Disc management Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disc management Win 10: Extend volume Have main partition "C" primary, etc., then Recovery Partition, then New Volume. It says can only extend in adjacent formatted volumes. Both Primary "C" and new formatted volume show NTFS but Recovery Partition shows blank. Can I extend "C" primary to...
  8. Win. 10, 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win. 10, 1909: hi, 1909 will come out like a monthly update. So, will users be required to restart after the update? Will the Microsoft website provide an ISO file download in case a reinstall is needed? Can we postpone the download of the update?...
  9. WIndows 10 - Disc Partitioning QUeries

WIndows 10 - Disc Partitioning QUeries: I am seeking information about the disc partitioning that is present on my PC hard drive. If I run the Command Prompt "Diskpart" command, the following is shown DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ----------------...
  10. disc management

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    disc management: Does the attachment look as it sshoud for Window 1803 with updates and cleaned up like defrag etc. I do not know how it should look as I am used to C:\, system reserved, and MBR. 109715