Windows 10: Win 10 1909 keeps turning file and printer sharing off

Discus and support Win 10 1909 keeps turning file and printer sharing off in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently reset my surface pro and after reinstallation I now cannot access a home network NAS drive without turning on SMB1. I have found many cases... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spudnik267, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Win 10 1909 keeps turning file and printer sharing off

I recently reset my surface pro and after reinstallation I now cannot access a home network NAS drive without turning on SMB1.

I have found many cases regarding the same thing but all the hints and tips reference homegroup which does not exist in 1909 build.

I have other machines on the same network that have upgraded to 2004 build surface pro not yet ready? and they work fine with SMB1 switched off.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

spudnik267, Jul 27, 2020
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Windows 10 keeps turning File and Printer sharing off

No mattter what settings I change, the system keeps turning File and Printer sharing off. I found the following question, which is pretty much identical,

Windows 10 keeps turning off file sharing

however none of those steps works. It will change the setting and let me save it. But when I immediately go back into the Advanced Sharing control panel, it has been turned back off. I have verified I am on a private network.

I have also checked the Firewall settings (where it is also showing as not enabled). When I try to set it to allow, the same thing happens. It allows me to change it and save the change, but if I immediately go back into settings, it is turned off.

I know network discovery is working as I can see other computers on the network and they can see me. However, File Sharing refuses to turn on.

Barret Blake, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Win 10 1909 keeps turning file and printer sharing off

Brink, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 1909 keeps turning file and printer sharing off

1. Win 10 1909 keeps turning file and printer sharing off - Similar Threads - 1909 keeps turning

2. "File and Printer Sharing" under Private network on both Windows 10/11 keeps turning off on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "File and Printer Sharing" under Private network on both Windows 10/11 keeps turning off on...: I have absolutely lost it with this damn problem. I've been trying for 3 days to figure out why BOTH windows 10 and windows 11 keep resetting the file and printer sharing option back to off under the private network settings after I turn them on and then exit out of the setup...
  3. "File and Printer Sharing" under Private network on both Windows 10/11 keeps turning off on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "File and Printer Sharing" under Private network on both Windows 10/11 keeps turning off on...: I have absolutely lost it with this damn problem. I've been trying for 3 days to figure out why BOTH windows 10 and windows 11 keep resetting the file and printer sharing option back to off under the private network settings after I turn them on and then exit out of the setup...
  4. "File and Printer Sharing" under Private network on both Windows 10/11 keeps turning off on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10: Windows 10 is one of the series of operating systems developed by Microsoft. Network sharing and communication of one system with another has always been an element of great priority in Microsoft operating systems. Out of various sharing features, File and Printer Sharing is...
  6. Windows 10 1909 printer sharing

Windows 10 1909 printer sharing: Hi, I have a few W10 Pro ver 1903 - 2004 PC. I have a 1909 PC shared a LQ-310 printer. But the rest of the W10 pc are unable to connect to it over the network. See images below. Host PC has Kaspersky Security 20.0.14 installed. I thought it might be the firewall, so i...
  7. File and Printer Sharing will not stay 'off'

File and Printer Sharing will not stay 'off': Hi Guys I have been trying to disable 'File and Printer Sharing' in my Public network profile, and even after saving changes, every time I reboot my PC the File and Printer sharing option pops back to ON. Nothing I have tried keeps in the OFF position for Guest or Public...
  8. File and printer sharing not turning on!

File and printer sharing not turning on!: Hi, I run a NAS on my home network, on my old version of Windows 10 it was visible and accessible. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Windows install the latest version 1909 and now I cannot turn on file and printer sharing over a...
  9. File and printer sharing turned on

File and printer sharing turned on: Hi, two days ago i got a new router from my provider because with my old one the connection just kept identifying, after a restart w10 identified it as network 2, when booting up before that it was still network, but even after the reboot it didn't ask me what network profile...
  10. Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10 File and printer sharing is the ability of a computer running Windows to share a folder or attached printer with other computers on a network....