Windows 10: Win 10 2004 Freezing Surface Pro 7

Discus and support Win 10 2004 Freezing Surface Pro 7 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the last few weeks my Win 10 2004 is freezing up. It seems to happen the most when I am using a browser, or when running MS Teams. It will freeze... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Anthony1977, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Win 10 2004 Freezing Surface Pro 7

For the last few weeks my Win 10 2004 is freezing up. It seems to happen the most when I am using a browser, or when running MS Teams. It will freeze up and become completely unresponsive to the point where I cannot get into the task manager or open/close any programs, and ultimately have to do a hard shutdown by hitting the power button. In fact, it froze twice just trying to submit his post for help. Googling it I see lots of hits about 2004 causing the issue.

I am in IT for a living and checked the usual culprits. Its not a browser issue as it will freeze with both Chrome and the new Edge. Today while typing this I have one tab open in both Chrome and Edge, and its the Win10 community page while I try to submit this post. So it is very little load/system usage while doing this. I do notice the fan on the Surface starts working really hard when it happens like the processor or memory is being stressed, but since I cant access the task manager, I cant see what's happening.

I read some forums about troubleshooting and ran several DISM commands yesterday but no errors were identified or fixed, and all completed successfully.

I run the Surface Pro 7 i7 docked using a Surface Dock and two Lenovo Monitors. Wireless 5050 keyboard mouse combo. The interesting part about the issue, is when it happens if I disconnect the surface from the dock, I can gain control of the system back via the surface itself. When I do this each time I hear the Skype ring tone like someone is calling me, but I do not ever have Skype open or running. In fact, I shut it down to not run at startup or be signed in as I don't use it. I use MS Teams and Zoom but its not the ring tone for those, they are distinctly different. Its the retail Skype ringtone. Sometimes after getting control back if I look in the task tray I will see the Skype Icon open and running, other times I wont even after hearing the ring tone.

If I replug into the dock, things will work again for a while then freeze. I have swapped docks and the same thing happens. Both docks are running the most recent firmware, the Surface is 100% up to date on OS, Office, and Surface updates, etc.

Looking for advice how I trouble shoot this. Is there something I should be seeing in event manager? I may open an Incident with MS at this point. I'd hate to have to reinstall windows to get the same prob back as I have seen state happened to them.

System Info:

Surface Pro 7

Office 2019

16 GB RAM

i7 processor

:)

Anthony1977, Sep 18, 2020

2. Surface pro 7 upgrade to 2004 version

Good day, yesterday I buy surface pro 7 but I can't upgrade to latest version 2004. Is it ok? Thank you.

LED Technology, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro transfer to new Surface 7 Pro

I just purchased a Surface 7 Pro to upgrade from my Surface 3 with Windows 10 Pro. The Surface 7 Pro has the Windows 10 Home version that I would like to upgrade with Windows 10 Pro but don't know where to find my Product Key. I don't recall purchasing
    and I believe that my last Microsoft Windows update resulted in the Pro version being installed. Can anyone help with step-by-step instructions on where to find the product key so that I can copy and install in my Surface 7 Pro.

MorrisGarcia, Sep 18, 2020
  4. Win 10 2004 Freezing Surface Pro 7

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 2004 Freezing Surface Pro 7

1. Win 10 2004 Freezing Surface Pro 7 - Similar Threads - 2004 Freezing Surface

2. Touchpad on surface pro 7+ is freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad on surface pro 7+ is freezing: I have a surface pro 7 + tablet which is working fine, but quite frequently the touchpad freezes. I tried uninstalling the drivers but it did not help. I also tried with Microsoft Diagnostics Toolkit and with Intel Graphics command Center but nothing had worked. The touchpad...
  3. Touchpad on surface pro 7+ is freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad on surface pro 7+ is freezing: I have a surface pro 7 + tablet which is working fine, but quite frequently the touchpad freezes. I tried uninstalling the drivers but it did not help. I also tried with Microsoft Diagnostics Toolkit and with Intel Graphics command Center but nothing had worked. The touchpad...
  4. Touchpad on surface pro 7+ is freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad on surface pro 7+ is freezing: I have a surface pro 7 + tablet which is working fine, but quite frequently the touchpad freezes. I tried uninstalling the drivers but it did not help. I also tried with Microsoft Diagnostics Toolkit and with Intel Graphics command Center but nothing did work. The touchpad is...
  5. Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash: Hi all, thank you for having me here.I have windows 10 on my surface pro 7, updated, all working good except for the touch keyboard.It crashes and disappears in tablet mode and desktop mode.I've activated and deactivated it, also the service, stopped, disabled, enabled and...
  6. Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash: Hi all, thank you for having me here.I have windows 10 on my surface pro 7, updated, all working good except for the touch keyboard.It crashes and disappears in tablet mode and desktop mode.I've activated and deactivated it, also the service, stopped, disabled, enabled and...
  7. Surface pro 7 win 10 touch keyboard crash

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. surface Pro 7 win10 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    surface Pro 7 win10 2004: On 10th Sept. 2020 I updated Win10 to 2004. I now note that the position of the on screen keyboard is locked. When you tap into a data entry field the cursor is positioned outside of the keyboard BUT to read anything hidden by the keyboard you must close the kB! Does anyone...
  9. Surface Pro 7 and Windows 10 2004

Surface Pro 7 and Windows 10 2004: My Surface Pro 7 installed the Windows 10 2004 update and now I am having issues. It keeps dropping the internet, Microsoft store does not install new apps and other glitch issues. Unfortunately it is past 10 days and I cant roll back. I also get this error when trying to...
  10. win 7 pro win 10 pro

win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac