Windows 10: Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results

Discus and support Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win 10 64 bit 1903 (N) version and YES it has been 'refreshed' without change to the results. (Properties - OS partition:- 490GB size 210GB used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by James8Button, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results

Win 10 64 bit 1903 (N) version and YES it has been 'refreshed' without change to the results.

(Properties - OS partition:- 490GB size 210GB used 637,000 files (100K in C:\Users 100K in c:\Program Files 330K in C:\Windows)

using Admin level userid,

File-explorer options set to "include system directories" & "Always search filenames and content"

- May take several minutes ! - Ha ha ha!

Explorer search of folder C:\Paradox finds the file "fdisk.txt"

(Paradox backup activity processing log file now over 300MB and increasing every run)

Using File Explorer to search C:\ with key of fdisk.txt or a key of fds* or a key of fds*.*

or even using the search category "size large"

does not find the file or the desktop shortcut to it

The search by size does however find some files - such as C:\Swapfile.sys and some files in locations such as in subfolders of

"C:\Windows SDKits Win10 (86)\ etc.

and then it checks the other partitions so what was the point of selecting the OS partition?

So how do I get the Microsoft windows facility to return the correct results for the selected location?

To be useful and tell me which folders of the OS PARTITION contain files with the names I was told to look for?

As in assuming I do/did not know where files with the name starting fdisk are and want to check the OS partition,

Yes - I selected C:

but I did NOT select the attached cloud storage where there are loads of technical documents, e-books, archived windows mail messages, and other software - that I did not select because I did NOT want that storage searched !

yes - about 10TB and maybe 1 million files that I don't want searched

This query is re windows 10 version 1903

and the answers posted earlier do not fix the windows facility

and, as I rarely have the windows system go looking for files on the OS partition, I do not want to turn on indexing of files, or content on the OS partition.

:)

James8Button, Oct 3, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Wallug Win User
    File Explorer in Windows 10 64 bit

How can I persuade File Explorer to always open with the folder I want it to, in Win 10 64 bit, from the taskbar?

Wallug, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results

Windows 7 search returning more results than files in folder

I have a folder in Windows 7 (Professional, 64 bit). When I right click the folder on a network drive it says it has 424 files. (The folder supposedly contains Outlook calendar items saved as msg files.) Running one search returned over 4,000 items, some
    which don't appear in the file list, but the location shows the same folder I am searching. When I remove files from the search result (cut and paste into a different folder). The number of the items in the folder doesn't change, but when I search the items
    I removed no longer show up in search. When I cut and paste the folder to my desktop, the search only returns items in the folder. When I cut and paste the folder back to the network drive, search returns items not showing in the folder. What gives?

Thanks!!

MelissaCarpenter, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results

1. Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results - Similar Threads - bit 1903 File

2. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results": Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to...
  3. search returns duplicate results

in Windows 10 Customization
    search returns duplicate results: In Search Locations under Search tools in Outlook 2019, my email is listed multiple times. I;m sure this is why the emails are listed multiple times in a search. When I remove the check mark next to one of the duplicate search locations it reappears when I remove the check...
  4. Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results: Hello, The Windows 10 Search function has stopped working. I checked online for the basic troubleshooting and nothing resolved the problem. I will list specifics of the system below. Thanks in advance to any assistance with this search issue. Windows 10 Pro is installed on...
  5. Different results in Win Update 64 bits

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Different results in Win Update 64 bits: Hi I try to install my old HP Deskjet 520 to my Win 10 computer. It worked fine in my Win 7 system with a driver called HP Deskjet 500 that i got from win update when I installd the printer. When I now try to install the printer in my Win 10 system 64 bits I do not succed....
  6. Different results in Win Update 64 bits

in Windows 10 Support
    Different results in Win Update 64 bits: Hi I try to install my old HP Deskjet 520 to my Win 10 computer. It worked fine in my Win 7 system with a driver called HP Deskjet 500 that i got from win update when I installd the printer. When I now try to install the printer in my Win 10 system 64 bits I do not succed....
  7. Internet Explorer 11 on Win 10 64-bit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer 11 on Win 10 64-bit: I don't know if this might help anyone else, but it seems to be working. IE11 often freezes and I have to close it via Task Manager. Going back in usually gets the response "recover webpage". Windows Troubleshooter can't find anything wrong, and emptying the cache doesn't...
  8. win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 64 bit: Hello, I have win 10 64 bit, is there a way i can run a game that is 32 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/win-10-64-bit/df9c9918-85fb-40e3-924b-7feeaf5c44a9
  9. win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 10 64 bit: I bought a disc win 10 0em from newegg. ok here,s the question if I get a new motherboard I will be able to activate like win 7 right? clean install from dvd it has a license on the package. 40253
  10. Windows Search returning no results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search returning no results: Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives. I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already: Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding. Non-indexing and rebuilding. Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding....