Windows 10: Win 10 activation after an Upgrade

Discus and support Win 10 activation after an Upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded to WIn 10 from my Win 7 Pro 64 All went great and I have used it for a while, then found I needed more power than my old Q6600 Quad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Another Frustrated User, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Win 10 activation after an Upgrade

Hi,

I upgraded to WIn 10 from my Win 7 Pro 64

All went great and I have used it for a while, then found I needed more power than my old Q6600 Quad Core. I upgraded to an i7 9700 on a Gigabyte 390 Aorus Pro board . I have previously linked my Win 10 installation to my Hotmail and Microsoft Account , as I was informed that this recorded your activation and right to use. I was told that if you upgraded all you would have to do is sign in to your account to activate the Win 10 on the new system.

Alas this is not so and I am having activation problems with no offer of signing in ...... all I have is the account sign in and the Product disk and activation code for my original Win 7 Pro 64.

Where from here ?

:)

Another Frustrated User, Feb 5, 2020
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Feb 5, 2020
  3. lse123 Win User
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool said all OK and continued OK with upgrade... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all OK for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?
    and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

lse123, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Win 10 activation after an Upgrade

Windows 10 activation question

Hi,

I own a legal licence of Win 8. Can I format my drive and install Win 10 and then activate it with my Win 8 key? Or will I have to install Win 8 and then upgrade to Win 10?

There has been so much written about all the ways we can upgrade but I haven't seen the answer to this yet. I want to do a clean install and don't want to do an upgrade.

Thanks

Hawkstream, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 activation after an Upgrade

1. Win 10 activation after an Upgrade - Similar Threads - activation Upgrade

2. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11: Hi, After updating to Windows 11 during a recent Windows update, I've been using my laptop for several months without any issues. However, I recently started receiving a message indicating that the Windows license will expire soon. Oddly enough, when I check the settings, it...
  3. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11: Hi, After updating to Windows 11 during a recent Windows update, I've been using my laptop for several months without any issues. However, I recently started receiving a message indicating that the Windows license will expire soon. Oddly enough, when I check the settings, it...
  4. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...: Hello sir/madams, I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7 for the free from official site of microsoft. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded to windows 10 it asks for activation. I can't even personalize my computer. I try to follow the steps it tells me but I...
  6. I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...: Hello sir/madams, I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7 for the free from official site of microsoft. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded to windows 10 it asks for activation. I can't even personalize my computer. I try to follow the steps it tells me but I...
  7. I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...

8. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  9. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  10. How to upgrade from windows 8.1 (not activated) to windows 10 (I have win 10 key )?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to upgrade from windows 8.1 (not activated) to windows 10 (I have win 10 key )?: Cant find how to do that , all tutorials require activated windows 8.1 ... submitted by /u/savvasr200 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1btr0io/how_to_upgrade_from_windows_81_not_activated_to/