Windows 10: WIN 10 Activation after motherboard change due to failure.

Discus and support WIN 10 Activation after motherboard change due to failure. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Last year I upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 free upgrade. I still have original enuine copy of Win 8. On upgrading I did receive a digital licence. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tracy-LeeBeattie, Feb 21, 2020.

1. WIN 10 Activation after motherboard change due to failure.

Last year I upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 free upgrade. I still have original enuine copy of Win 8. On upgrading I did receive a digital licence. Now after changing my motherboard when I try and activate it won't allow me to. As all my software is legal and above board I do not wish to have to purchase a licence. I do have a Microsoft account and my understanding is that it should pick up the digital licence from that source. Any assistance would be appreciated.

:)

Tracy-LeeBeattie, Feb 21, 2020
  2. ceck3 Win User

Activating Win 10 after replacing Motherboard

I recently had to replace a motherboard on a Lenovo ThinkCentre due to a blown power supply. After recovering, Windows was not activated and I can't use the troubleshooter to remediate. This system was shipped with Win 7 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 during
    the free promotion offer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get Win 10 reactivated in this scenario?

Also any thoughts on why Win 10 doesn't recognize the DVD or USB ports in File Explorer?

ceck3, Feb 21, 2020
  3. Graf Dyon Win User
    Can't activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hello,

I can't activate my windows 10 license after changing my motherboard.

The license I have is a Windows 7 Pro license, that got changed into a Windows 10 license, when the upgrade was free.

Steps I took previous to the motherboard change:

- I linked my Microsoft account with my device, so that my license is registered under my account (it showed up with my mail in the accounts section)

Now, with the new motherboard built in, I can't activate Windows 10 anymore.

I tried the support steps listed by the Microsoft helper (Activation -> Click Troubleshoot), but that did not work.

In the Activitation settings I get the error code: 0xC004F213

Does anybody know a solution for this, as I haven't found one so far.

Graf Dyon, Feb 21, 2020
  4. WIN 10 Activation after motherboard change due to failure.

Win 10 activation problem after motherboard change

Ok,

You've now gotten to the "Select your device from below" in your MS account and were able to choose (check the box for) "This is the device that I'm using right now" yet the activation server has continually informed that it now can't activate the device
    (with the replacement MOBO installed?). (Do be aware that the MOBO basically constitutes as the/any device).

Now, that being said.

A Retail license that received a free upgrade from an older edition of Windows (7, 8.0, 8.1) should carry over transfer rights to a new PC (or MOBO) (using Win 10) according to (my reading of) the

Microsoft License Terms
    , however, it can only be used on one device at a time and there is a limit to how many times that a single retail rights license can be transfered. Perhaps the fact that the replacement MOBO initially identified as a different Edition
    and license type of Windows 10 (and then corrected accordingly with multiple attempts to activate being made with each as well) that the automated activation server service is confused or...?

In such a case then an activation by phone contact would be the next (or pretty much only) way to take as an attempt to achieve activation. Before hand, "get all of your ducks in a row" concerning the events of things as they went down for the purpose of
    being able to be straight forward and precise (knowledgeable). Also, the reason that the MOBO was replaced may come up, was it due to a failure of the original or was it for the purpose of upgrading the capabilities of the device (you have previously stated
    that the motherboard was the ONLY hardware device that was changed).

Now, be aware that the Win 10 Pro generic key supplied to you is listed as Retail (and brought the devices Win 10 installation back to being identified as Win 10 Pro, as it was before) however, if the original Win 7 license that was upgraded to Win 10 was
    an OEM or system builders license instead (no way to know at this point?) then you may need to either purchase a new license to use the new (was it a direct replacement due to failure) MOBO or revert back to the old MOBO to activate the device, at your choice.

Not withstanding, at this point, a phone activation attempt would be worth a try, the worst that could happen is that they say no (they have also been known to give out some concessions in the past). (The contact info is in one of my previous replies).

Well, I do wish that I could have been able to do more for you concerning this situation but... GOOD LUCK!

Please do let us know how it goes, in any event.

-Richard

RichardEiler, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

WIN 10 Activation after motherboard change due to failure.

1. WIN 10 Activation after motherboard change due to failure. - Similar Threads - Activation motherboard change

2. Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade: Previously I used win 10 with digital licences with Microsoft account added , now I upgrade motherboard and using same Microsoft account with is linked to window digital license, but trouble shooting not activating win 10...
  3. Win 10 activation after motherboard replaced

Win 10 activation after motherboard replaced: I updated to Win 10 after 7/8 and things were great - then last week I had to replace my MoBo and now I cannot get the Win 10 to re-activate. My MS digital account does not show my Win 10 licence it does show my Office 365 subscription and an old Excel 2013 one and I think...
  4. Windows 10 Activation Failure After Motherboard Swap

Windows 10 Activation Failure After Motherboard Swap: Hello, I recently change my motherboard and now I am receiving an activation error: "Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213." I have tried the "Troubleshoot" option along with the "I changed hardware on this device recently"...
  5. Win 10 activation problem after motherboard change

Win 10 activation problem after motherboard change: Hi, I have just replaced ONLY the motherboard of my system (Win 10 Pro 1809) and could not activate with error code 0xC004F213. I have already linked my Microsoft account with the activation status showing "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  6. ACTIVATING WIN 10 AFTER MOTHERBOARD CHANGE

ACTIVATING WIN 10 AFTER MOTHERBOARD CHANGE: Had to change out my motherboard and CPU and now trying to activate Win 10 but not able to do so !!! Have a 'Digital Licence' received after upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 during the free offer. Have tried the troubleshooter - this just goes in circles and tells me to try later -...
  7. Activation After changing motherboard

Activation After changing motherboard: Hi So I just changed motherboards and my license isn't activating. I have tried using my microsoft account to sign in and activate the license with no luck. Please let me know if there is a way I can reset the license as its rather annoying that I got the license and...
  8. win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change

win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change: win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change, I had it linked to my microsoft account before the change, it has a digital licence as it was an upgrade from 8.1...
  9. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...
  10. Win 10 activation after changing motherboard

Win 10 activation after changing motherboard: Dear Manager, I just replaced a motherboard of the same brand. I activated Win 10 on the old motherboard with FPP USB version, and then I sent that motherboard to its A/S. Finally I received a new one. So, I am not able to access my old motherboard any more. Could you...