Windows 10: Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb

Discus and support Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Dell 5749 laptop. I got the free upgrade to win10. I am about to sell the laptop and so i done a completely fresh install including all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by revelator1969, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb

I have a Dell 5749 laptop. I got the free upgrade to win10. I am about to sell the laptop and so i done a completely fresh install including all the drivers. I then did a windows image backup which is about 17gb. A while ago i formatted the hard drive and so there is no recovery partition, i formatted it to a standard hard drive. I installed win10 in UEFI mode.

I thought i would buy a 32gb usb flash drive and provide the buyer with a image backup on the flash drive. So if things go wrong, they can restore to a freshly installed state. This obviously needs a recovery usb drive or recovery disc so one can restore the iso. I am unable to achieve this so i hope someone can help.

If i create a repair disc using the utility on win 10 i then have a bootable cd, my Dell cannot boot from a cd in UEFI mode, so i change the boot mode to legacy and boot from the cd, the option to restore from the image backup does not find any backups, i think this is because my flash drive is ntfs, i cannot use fat32 as the file is over 4gb. So i'm stuck when using the cd method.

If i create a usb repair drive using the win 10 utility it creates a bootable drive on my usb stick, this however is fat32, so i cannot store the backup on the same usb drive due to fat 32.

So please tell me how do i get this backup to work given that i have a bootable repair cd and the 32gb flash drive i bought.

I have wasted so much time on this and i hope someone can help me. *Shock

:)

revelator1969, Sep 4, 2017
  2. næsby Win User

Windows 10 Bad_System_Config_Info

How du I reinstall Windows 7

I get the same message, and the screen turn blank.

I press F12 to go to the boot menu, but cant find a way to install win 7.

I have downloaded Win7 iso to a usb??

næsby, Sep 4, 2017
  3. Restore Point vs Backup

Thanks for the pointer. I tried to make an image with Control Panel>Backup & Restore (Win 7)>Create a system image. It said that the USB drive had to be NTSF format instead of FAT32. I reformatted the drive & it said

"the drive is not a valid backup location". Lol... I couldn't believe it. I'd have been really frustrated if you hadn't mentioned Reflect7. I didn't have to mess around with anything. It's easy, straightforward & free. Great find! Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb :)

grendel_won, Sep 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb

Use Macrium Reflect Free. Install it, create a Macrium Rescue drive of it onto the flash drive. Then create an image with it and save that on the same flash drive. Macrium Reflect will break the image up into 4GB files to be able to save it to the FAT32 flash drive.

Personally, though... when you buy a manufactured computer off the shelf the manufacturer does not provide any restore media and the purchaser is responsible for making it.

NavyLCDR, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Thanks for your help. This sounds like a much better idea. I dont know why microsoft make it so difficult to recover from a recovery disc or drive. I thought that if i would stick with microsoft and it would look better but it sounds like Macrium Reflect is the way to go.

Im sure there was a recovery partition on the hard drive which i wiped off so this left no means of recovery even if recovery media was obtained. I was unsure i guess. It was a bit of a learning curve for me too, i wanted to get this backed up and so i was determined to get there one way or another.

Thanks for your great help *Wink

revelator1969, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Macrium worked a treat, i dont know why Microsoft have made this task so difficult. The backup is easily stored on the Usb drive too. Many thanks for the good advice ill still to Macrium in the future. *Wink

revelator1969, Sep 6, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Bear in mind flash drives are not the most reliable of backup media and do fail more frequently than hard drives, so backing up to an externahard drive is more reliable (to both - even better). You can just copy the backup files.

cereberus, Sep 7, 2017
  8. Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb

Thanks for the good advice. For my own personal use i will just keep the usb as a bootable drive and store the backups on my NAS which has plenty of spare room. *Wink

revelator1969, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb

1. Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb - Similar Threads - Backup Nightmare Cant

2. Cant find 2016 ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant find 2016 ISO: Hello,I have a Windows 2012 R2 that I want to upgrade to 2016 server. But I can't find an ISO to do this. I want to do an inplace upgrade, which is why we need the 2016 one. EVAL version wont work, and isn't the standard version. Eval only provides the datacenter version....
  3. Cant find 2016 ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant find 2016 ISO: Hello,I have a Windows 2012 R2 that I want to upgrade to 2016 server. But I can't find an ISO to do this. I want to do an inplace upgrade, which is why we need the 2016 one. EVAL version wont work, and isn't the standard version. Eval only provides the datacenter version....
  4. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    64GB usb to FAT32: I'am a dj and dj devices only support fat32. I can format my usb to FAT32 but is this process harmful? or i need a new 32GB usb? can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64gb-usb-to-fat32/0f612142-3a6b-40df-b864-e1e66189e929
  5. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  6. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  7. Classic backup and restore on Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Classic backup and restore on Win 10: I backed up my Win10 computer using classic Backup and restore interface in advance of reformatting partitions. That included a system image as well. Do I need a recovery disc to recover my files after a reformat?...
  8. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  9. I cant find Windows 10 Home ISO

I cant find Windows 10 Home ISO: I have Dell XPS that free upgraded to Windows 10 Home, the Windows was crashed, All the Media Creation located now is only supporting windows 10 PRO. how can I have Media for Windows 10 Home, can some one get me the link for the iso Download or the Good Microsoft Media...
  10. IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare

in Windows 10 News
    IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare: The Internet of Things will bring many benefits, but it's also creating a security nightmare for which few are prepared. The horror stories have already started. The baby monitors transmitting a live feed onto the internet for all to see -- and the smart teddy bear that...