Windows 10: Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all

Discus and support Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, I did an upgrade from Win7 HP 64 bit to Win 10 - I triggered it manually from the MS download. At first all was well, but then Edge locked up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by neilsherry, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all

Hi All, I did an upgrade from Win7 HP 64 bit to Win 10 - I triggered it manually from the MS download. At first all was well, but then Edge locked up. I killed the appropriate processes in Task Manager, then rebooted. The PC basicall works, but some of the major bits of the interface do not:
    The Edge & Store icons in the Taskbar are blank. Clicking where the Store button should be brings a message that 'This app can't open' and refreshing the PC might help fix it. The Edge button location does nothing.
    The Start button or key also do nothing visible, the Search doesn't work either - so I can't get into Settings - Control Panel is accessible, but of course doesn't have the new Settings.
    I booted from DVD - got into Repair, but it won't roll back to the previous version (which I did use on another PC to get back to Win7).
    A system restore did complete, but hasn't fixed things. Also, trying to Reset the PC failed too. I also tried a new User account (which I found as a possible fix) - I had to do this via CMD - no good either.
    So, before I do a clean install, is there anything else I can do?
    Thanks in advance!

:)

neilsherry, Sep 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 features and some others are disappearing.

Windows 10. (Upgraded on line from 7 when 10 released). Until a couple of weeks ago worked fine. The following problems occurred simultaneously.

Left click on Start does not work. Right click on start and menus therein work fine.

Right click does not work on any item in taskbar.

Edge, Contana, Store missing from taskbar. (Where Store was there is now a blank. When clicked: "There is a problem with Windows Store. . . Contact your administrator about repairing or reinstalling it.")

Thanks.

JR

Robert-James4304, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Start Menu not opening, edge and store not working, unable to search

Tried all this, the start menu still doesn't work, Edge and Store icons in the taskbar are still blank (all other shortcuts work that I put in the taskbar). Also, the Action Center icon is dead (won't open, just like the start menu). I've been working
    to correct this problem for the last 14 hours and am getting very irritated. Oh, in the security policy, the ability to turn on the "administrator" user shows "Not Applicable". When you click on "properties", "Enable" and "Disable" are greyed out.

BobGielczowski, Sep 7, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all

As we know reset would be like a clean install. Fact being if ever did want to go back to old OS,since having issues now even trying rollback. Through advanced options it did not work either, rollback to Win 7 ? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

This is a long shot, but try system file checker and DISM.

Admin Command prompt copy paste and press enter, let it finish
    sfc /scannow

Same open command prompt, copy and paste this, press enter let it finish
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

reboot the pc, make take several reboots 3x's and several tries with these commands to try to fix it, if it can.
    When you booted from the DVD it was a Windows 10 iso disc, right ?

jds63, Sep 7, 2015
  5. OK, thanks for the reply.
    I had already run SFC a couple of times - came back each time saying that it found problems, not all could be fixed. Perhaps try it again...
    I had booted from DVD created from the Win10 ISO - tried the recovery options from there, as well as from within Windows itself. In each case, reference was made to this being a preview build
    DISM - error 0x800f081f - the source files could not be found.

I will try again after a reboot (and some sleep!)

neilsherry, Sep 8, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome !You will get this DISM error 0x800F081F when there is any corruption in the system files. Yes, as said sometimes with both SFC and DISM have to do both several times with reboots to fix them. When you said Preview build you did upgrade after 29th of July.

Besides doing a clean install as of yet which is last alternative, could try this first
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

jds63, Sep 8, 2015
  7. Joergi Win User
    What you have done before you posted this thread here already sounds quite good...

I also can't explain why you would be unable to repair the system files. At least rather drastic things like a reset should be able to do that... Is it maybe that your file system is somehow broken?

Joergi, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all

..Besides doing a clean install as of yet which is last alternative, could try this first
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks again, to all those who responded - and especially jds63. I had run the SFC & DISM with no change, but the repair install did the trick. I had gone looking for info on this and MS only make reference to the Reset/Refresh/Restore options, not repair install.

neilsherry, Sep 8, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Good to know neilsherry, glad all is fixed. Clean install is something to think of because after 30 days you can not roll back to old OS, clean install will run better, but have to install all software and drivers you had on system, plus redo your settings, similar with a reset which you also can do. Keep the Windows 10 disc handy make an extra copy,Your Welcome !

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all

1. Win 10 broken - blank Edge, Store in Taskbar, Start not working at all - Similar Threads - broken blank Edge

2. Start menu, taskbar, windows key all broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu, taskbar, windows key all broken: Hey all. I’m at a completely loss here. Somewhat suddenly, my HP laptop running Windows 10 began having a problem with the taskbar. I’ll try to provide as much info as I can here: I restarted my computer to fix a problem with Slack/Chrome where slack was repeatedly and...
  3. Start menu, taskbar, windows key all broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, taskbar, windows key all broken: Hey all. I’m at a completely loss here. Somewhat suddenly, my HP laptop running Windows 10 began having a problem with the taskbar. I’ll try to provide as much info as I can here: I restarted my computer to fix a problem with Slack/Chrome where slack was repeatedly and...
  4. Start menu, taskbar, windows key all broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar, Start menu, and Settings all completely broken.

Taskbar, Start menu, and Settings all completely broken.: This problem started a few days ago, and I've tried everything on the internet to fix it. The taskbar is not working blank, with loading icon when I hover overe it Start menu doesn't work nor does searching, and I cannot open settings gives loading cursor as well What can I...
  6. Windows 10 taskbar and Edge not working

Windows 10 taskbar and Edge not working: Hello, On a Windows 10 1803, the taskbar and Edge are not working, in Windows log, there is an event 10001, DCOM -- Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.17134.112_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:...
  7. Edge icon blank in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Edge icon blank in taskbar: Any way to fix this easily please? [img] [img] Thanks 36195
  8. Start, Store, Edge no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start, Store, Edge no longer working: I have had Windows 10 since it was available, and everything was working fine til just recently. Edge, Start, store, Cortana, no longer work. I did find a fix on You-Tube ( using powershell), that was only temporary, at best. It seems to work for a few minutes when I boot up,...
  9. Taskbar blank & Start button unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar blank & Start button unresponsive: Now & then when I start my computer, nothing appears in the task bar, the Microsoft Start button at the bottom left fails to respond to either a left or right click, the Cortana window "Ask me anything" & the Task View are also unresponsive' I then restart the computer...
  10. All Settings Pages Blank Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    All Settings Pages Blank Win 10: Cannot access any settings all windows that open are blank screen shot attached 26987

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 microsoft edge blank in taskbar